Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be a bummer if Nevada gets left behind.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• So in the Big 12 vs the AAC realignment battle the Big 12 prevailed with the AAC losing bigly. Not that big of a surprise. And the beating the AAC took may not be over if Memphis is reeled in by the Big 12 as well.

Now it would seem we are gearing up for a face off of the AAC vs the MWC in the realignment battles which is a much more evenly balanced contest. So far the MWC has avoided being raided by the P-5 but that may change if the Big 12 pursues Boise State. So I guess that means a proxy battle between ESPN vs CBS/Fox.

Seems to me like this one could go either way. Not sure I can a win-win scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        So in the Big 12 vs the AAC realignment battle the Big 12 prevailed with the AAC losing bigly. Not that big of a surprise. And the beating the AAC took may not be over if Memphis is reeled in by the Big 12 as well.

Now it would seem we are gearing up for a face off of the AAC vs the MWC in the realignment battles which is a much more evenly balanced contest. So far the MWC has avoided being raided by the P-5 but that may change if the Big 12 pursues Boise State. So I guess that means a proxy battle between ESPN vs CBS/Fox.

Seems to me like this one could go either way. Not sure I can a win-win scenario.

Every team in the AAC and MWC wants to be "raided" by a P5. The fact that the AAC just moved 3 teams up and the MWC did zero ... is a huge positive for coming to the AAC. Something worked for the teams that were there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Every team in the AAC and MWC wants to be "raided" by a P5. The fact that the AAC just moved 3 teams up and the MWC did zero ... is a huge positive for coming to the AAC. Something worked for the teams that were there.
          What losing UConn, Cincy, Houston and UCF (with Memphis perhaps to follow) since the Shocks joined the AAC means to me is that the AAC has lost a tremendous amount of luster and prestige and is no longer a clearly superior conference to the MWC. At this point it may boil down to how aggressive each conference's TV partners are and as you mentioned earlier who can get the 1st domino or two to fall their way.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 16, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

What losing UConn, Cincy, Houston and UCF (with Memphis perhaps to follow) since the Shocks joined the AAC means to me is that the AAC has lost a tremendous amount of luster and prestige and is no longer a clearly superior conference to the MWC. At this point it may boil down to how aggressive each conference's TV partners are and as you mentioned earlier who can get the 1st domino or two to fall their way.
            The AAC is still slightly ahead of the MWC even without those teams. The impact to Boise leaving the MWC would be way larger than Memphis leaving what's left of the AAC (from a football standpoint). If the other schools think it might happen .. then do they really want to be in a Boise-Less MWC? or a conference that has the best of the rest outside the P5. I think we get one of the other to bite, then Boise follows.

Comment

• Maybe WSU, SMU, Tulsa, and Memphis(?) should just go west? What cache does USF, ECU, Temple, and Tulane have over Utah St, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, and the rest? Lots of questions, I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                Maybe WSU, SMU, Tulsa, and Memphis(?) should just go west? What cache does USF, ECU, Temple, and Tulane have over Utah St, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, and the rest? Lots of questions, I know.
                Makes no sense financially to pay an exit fee to go to a conference that makes less.

Also from a football standpoint the AAC teams historical have been better

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Makes no sense financially to pay an exit fee to go to a conference that makes less.

Also from a football standpoint the AAC teams historical have been better
                  There is a lot of things with those "reasons" we don't know about and may not for 1-3 years. When a mass exit happens (UConn, Houston, UCF, and Cincy), I would think that some of those exit fees might and should change. This will not be the AAC we signed up for. Likewise, the historically better football is just that --- his--tor--y. Hope you are excited over the other eastern football schools that have been mentioned, their strong basketball, and other sports.

Comment

• All you have to do is wait for the exit fees from the 4 leaving. Use that to get you where you need to go, if outside current conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                      All you have to do is wait for the exit fees from the 4 leaving. Use that to get you where you need to go, if outside current conference.
                      Our cut of exit fees wouldn't be near enough to cover our own exit fee. You're talking 40M total, I'm not sure how it's distributed, but I'm sure the conference HQ gets a cut and our cut of a share is probably less than the rest because of football. We'd probably be looking at less than 1.5M total.

The AAC is still the best play currently and easily makes the most financial sense. It's still the better basketball conference. It still might be the better football conference as well.

If you need just one domino to drop and hope others follow, you target AFA and CSU as they'd be the most likely to say yes. Then you hope Boise and SDSU would follow. Then you decide if you're going to stop at 12. I'd love for ESPN to make 16 worth it and grab New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV/Nevada and Fresno as well. Football and non-revenue sports can have an E/W split. Basketball can consider it. We'd still lose a Texas school, but the conference would be in great shape even if the B12 eventually took two more.

I know that's wishful thinking as a whole, but you never know.
                      Last edited by SubGod22; September 17, 2021, 08:40 AM.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Our cut of exit fees wouldn't be near enough to cover our own exit fee. You're talking 40M total, I'm not sure how it's distributed, but I'm sure the conference HQ gets a cut and our cut of a share is probably less than the rest because of football. We'd probably be looking at less than 1.5M total.

The AAC is still the best play currently and easily makes the most financial sense. It's still the better basketball conference. It still might be the better football conference as well.

If you need just one domino to drop and hope others follow, you target AFA and CSU as they'd be the most likely to say yes. Then you hope Boise and SDSU would follow. Then you decide if you're going to stop at 12. I'd love for ESPN to make 16 worth it and grab New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV/Nevada and Fresno as well. Football and non-revenue sports can have an E/W split. Basketball can consider it. We'd still lose a Texas school, but the conference would be in great shape even if the B12 eventually took two more.

I know that's wishful thinking as a whole, but you never know.
                        That's the ideal, especially if Memphis and Boise are on the waiting list for the B12. It would stabilize it even if that happens. Comes down to does ESPN thing that's worth an extra 28 mil a year (4 extra teams x 7 mil). It's a drop in the bucket and might be to completely rob half the country from Fox/CBS

That said, even if we just grab 4 right now, I'd expect the AAC to poach 2-4 more if the Memphis/Boise jump happens in the future at that time.

Comment

• A green and gold birdie told me there’s legitimacy to some of the rumors involving MWC schools and the AAC. Too early to tell how it will play out, but if it ends up happening there may be an unexpected twist.

As far as future realignment involving the B12, there seems to be a lot of talk about Memphis/Boise and not enough chatter about other options the B12 has. Things are far from guaranteed for any potential additions, which may make the AAC more stable than it appears.

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; September 17, 2021, 05:33 PM.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            There is apparently legitimacy to some of the rumors involving MWC schools and the AAC. Too early to tell how it will play out, but if it ends up happening there may be an unexpected twist.

As far as future realignment involving the B12, there seems to be a lot of talk about Memphis/Boise and not enough chatter about other options the B12 has. Things are far from guaranteed for any potential additions, which may make the AAC more stable than it appears.

Twist?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Twist?
                              adding AiR force MaY interest others
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

adding AiR force MaY interest others
                                Hmmmmm....... Army, Navy and Air Force in the same conference?????

Comment

Working...
                                X