X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker1976
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

The fact that you’re painting Gregg Marshall as an underdog from nowhere with no silver spoon up his ass makes me appreciate him even more. That’s my kind of dude.

Ralph Miller went to KU, played under Phog Allen and washed the feet of the almighty James Naismith? Those are all strikes against him in my book.
    I did not "paint" Marshall as an underdog; on the contrary I posted facts readily available to anyone who can google for information on Marshall. As I live in South Carolina and owned a cabin near Roanoke, I have been privileged to interact with people who knew Marshall as a young man. As I posted months ago to Shocker Ref - these people do not refer to Marshall as "Ole Ten Points". If you have additional facts regards Marshall that counter my points then by all means post them; I will wait with baited breath to learn from you.

Leave a comment:

• Shocker1976
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

This is a joke right? I'm being punked?

Background and character? What they did in HS and where they went to college has baring on whether they were the best WSU college coach? You are a special kind of weird my man.
    You are not being punked just putting context to your post. For me background and character are relevant regards the best WSU basketball coach as I am not a win at all costs basketball fan.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Thanks for asking the Paladins did not make the Tournament and had a tough year 16/9 overall and 10/5 (third) in conference
    But how many press conferences did they win?

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Pretty sure you said a year.
    He did. His word though.

Leave a comment:

• Shocker1976
    replied
    Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    How did Furman do in the tourney this year??
    Thanks for asking the Paladins did not make the Tournament and had a tough year 16/9 overall and 10/5 (third) in conference

Leave a comment:

• shoxlax
    replied
    Ralph Miller didn’t have to compete with widespread cheating, deal with corrupt AAU programs or shoe companies, and coddle kids whose people were telling them how easy it was to transfer without repercussions all while running a clean program.

Leave a comment:

• shoxlax
    replied

I served the full 90 days of my self imposed penalty; what in my post gives you grief? I simply stated facts about the two men, if you can't deal with facts what do you want to read?
    Pretty sure you said a year.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    My biggest Marshall complaint was his inconsistent recruiting. Seemed like for every Tekele or Ron there were Manigault and Derail Greens. His aim was generally pretty low.
    He took fliers on kids with insane upside. Kenny’s wingspan was damn near 10ft but he didn’t have the motor. Eric Hamilton had the motor but little else. Derail green could take a charge but didn’t have the mentality to last. They either became JT Durley or transferred, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Tekele and Ron were tough as nails. Trying to toughen up some kids is damn near impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

I served the full 90 days of my self imposed penalty; what in my post gives you grief? I simply stated facts about the two men, if you can't deal with facts what do you want to read?
    Seemed like only 20 days.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied

W/L records matter but must viewed in context -

Ralph Miller built his record coaching in three Prime Time Conferences
    1. Valley of Death Ralph was 220/133 overall and 81/75 in conference
    2. B1G Ralph was 95/51 overall and 54/30 in conference
    3. PAC12 Ralph was 342/198* overall and 204/114 in conference (*18 victories lost to NCAA sanctions due to Lonnie Shelton signing with an agent)

Marshall built his record coaching in three lesser conferences than Ralph -
    1. Big South Marshall was 194/83 overall and 104/24 in conference
    2. Valley of Mediocrity Marshall was 261/90 overall and 134/46 in conference
    3. AAC Marshall was 70/31 overall and 35/19 in conference

Background and Character also matters
    Ralph Miller -
    1. Is in the Hall of Fame
    2. In high school at Chanute, Kansas was all-state three consecutive years in football and basketball; set the state record in the low hurdles in 1937.
    3. Lettered three consecutive years at KU in football (QB) and basketball; in track he beat Jim Bausch (1932 Olympic decathlon gold medalist) in 7 of 10 events
    4. Was coached by Phog Allen (recognized as the Father of Basketball Coaching) and met James Naismith (inventor of basketball).

Gregg Marshall -
    1. Was a 6'2", 145-pound point guard for Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia
    2. Was a member of the Randolph-Macon basketball team
    3. Assisted John Kresse for eight years at the College of Charleston
    4. Was forced to resign as head coach of the Shockers due to multiple allegations of verbal and physical abuse spanning years during his tenure at WSU
    With all due respect, and I mean all due respect, please STFU

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

The fact that you’re painting Gregg Marshall as an underdog from nowhere with no silver spoon up his ass makes me appreciate him even more. That’s my kind of dude.

Ralph Miller went to KU, played under Phog Allen and washed the feet of the almighty James Naismith? Those are all strikes against him in my book.

Leave a comment:

• Shocker1976
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    Wow. I didn’t miss this guy. Hoped that 2 months away would result in some humbling but I guess not.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied

W/L records matter but must viewed in context -

Ralph Miller built his record coaching in three Prime Time Conferences
    1. Valley of Death Ralph was 220/133 overall and 81/75 in conference
    2. B1G Ralph was 95/51 overall and 54/30 in conference
    3. PAC12 Ralph was 342/198* overall and 204/114 in conference (*18 victories lost to NCAA sanctions due to Lonnie Shelton signing with an agent)

Marshall built his record coaching in three lesser conferences than Ralph -
    1. Big South Marshall was 194/83 overall and 104/24 in conference
    2. Valley of Mediocrity Marshall was 261/90 overall and 134/46 in conference
    3. AAC Marshall was 70/31 overall and 35/19 in conference

Background and Character also matters
    Ralph Miller -
    1. Is in the Hall of Fame
    2. In high school at Chanute, Kansas was all-state three consecutive years in football and basketball; set the state record in the low hurdles in 1937.
    3. Lettered three consecutive years at KU in football (QB) and basketball; in track he beat Jim Bausch (1932 Olympic decathlon gold medalist) in 7 of 10 events
    4. Was coached by Phog Allen (recognized as the Father of Basketball Coaching) and met James Naismith (inventor of basketball).

Gregg Marshall -
    1. Was a 6'2", 145-pound point guard for Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia
    2. Was a member of the Randolph-Macon basketball team
    3. Assisted John Kresse for eight years at the College of Charleston
    4. Was forced to resign as head coach of the Shockers due to multiple allegations of verbal and physical abuse spanning years during his tenure at WSU
    This is a joke right? I'm being punked?

Background and character? What they did in HS and where they went to college has baring on whether they were the best WSU college coach? You are a special kind of weird my man.

Leave a comment:

• Shock Top
    replied
    How did Furman do in the tourney this year??

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied
    Wow. I didn’t miss this guy. Hoped that 2 months away would result in some humbling but I guess not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X