Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Who ran the practices until November? The guys who aren't rebounding and boxing out are the guys who've been in the program a few years. The best rebounders in boards/minute are Jackson and Council.

If you want to blame coaching for the lack of boards, it's the guys with a couple years under Marshall who are disappointing and it's the guys who've had about equal coaching from Marshall and Brown that rebound better.

If Poor Bear and Udeze became great rebounders under Marshall's practices, they would still be great rebounders after just a couple of months under Brown's coaching.
    Anchorage is a long ways away- 4.5hrs one way for doctor trips and groceries if you run the speed limit. We (most Alaskans) tend to drive the 230 winding, moose laden miles hard, sometimes running 80-90. What’s interesting is that when I take my foot off the gas or turn off cruise- even though I may have just got done pushing my wife’s car to the limits of safety- it still slows down. It’s like it senses the expectation isn’t there anymore for it to give me its “all”...
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Some interesting conversation about the Shockers on Sports Daily this morning.

One point where I disagree is this emerging willingness to accept that we are not a good rebounding team because we are undersized or have guys that “weren’t BORN with it”.

While those things may be true and may ultimately limit our ceiling as a rebounding team both statements are still cop outs.

Rather than being seen as reasons to accept our poor rebounding they should be seen as reasons why it’s imperative for this team to improve their diligence in checking out every possession.
      Who knew that there was a REBOUNDING GENE? We need to start our testing program and recruit those kids.
      And as stated earlier, there is no credibility to Undersized being an excuse for not rebounding. We've done really well (we've been in the Top 40 for 17 of 18 years prior to this year) with 6'7 postmen before. Our NIT Championship Team didn't have a postman over 6'7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Who knew that there was a REBOUNDING GENE? We need to start our testing program and recruit those kids.
        And as stated earlier, there is no credibility to Undersized being an excuse for not rebounding. We've done really well (we've been in the Top 40 for 17 of 18 years prior to this year) with 6'7 postmen before. Our NIT Championship Team didn't have a postman over 6'7.
        2010-11 Roster

Stutz 7'
        Orukpe 7'
        Blair 6'8"
        Durley 6'8"
        Ellis 6'9"

One can get away with other big men on the floor

Alabama game minutes: 22 Stutz, 22 Ellis, 22 Durley, 14 Blair. That's 40 minutes and the center and power forward positions.
        Last edited by ShockTalk; February 13, 2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Don’t know the final rebounds, but that was a great rebounding effort. That shows they are capable so stop the excuses.

Comment

• I will calculate the rebound later but WE OUTREBOUNDED HOUSTON!!!!

AND got the win.

Take notice of that Shockers. Great work!

Comment

I will calculate the rebound later but WE OUTREBOUNDED HOUSTON!!!!

AND got the win.

Take notice of that Shockers. Great work!
              So IB broke the code that GGG couldn't. Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

So IB broke the code that GGG couldn't. Well said.

That’s not at all what I said but ok.

Comment

• Imagine what we could do the rest of the season if we play with that kind of effort and intensity from here on out.

I have all the respect in the world for Houston. Those guys play so hard on every possession. It is a freaking battle to take them down.

Hopefully we can take that lesson ALONG WITH THE WIN and carry it forward the rest of the year.

Comment

That’s not at all what I said but ok.
                    Whatta' you mean? It was an affimation.

WSU got the win. And then perspective was applied (we took note).

Enjoy the big win pie.

Comment

• This was Morris’ best game. He didn’t force the offense, played great defense, and rebounded. Our big guys competed for every rebound and we out rebounded the Top Rebounding Team in the country. We won’t shoot like that next game, maybe, but there’s no reason we don’t play that kind of defense, or rebound like that.

MU 6 Rebounds, 5 Blocks
                      DD 6 Rebounds, 12 points, Great defense
                      TW 5 Rebounds
                      CJ 4 Rebounds
                      Last edited by Shockm; February 19, 2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        This was Morris’ best game. He didn’t force the offense, played great defense, and rebounded. Our big guys competed for every rebound and we out rebounded the Top Rebounding Team in the country. We won’t shoot like that next game, maybe, but there’s no reason we don’t play that kind of defense, or rebound like that.

MU 6 Rebounds, 5 Blocks
                        Poor Bear 7 Rebounds (9 minutes)
                        DD 6 Rebounds, 12 points, Great defense
                        TW 5 Rebounds
                        CJ 4 Rebounds
                        Wow, did not realize Poor Bear grabbed 8 boards. That’s incredible.

Comment

• According to Statbroadcast, Poor Bear had zero rebounds.

Comment

• Stats
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                              Stats
                              Yes. I was looking at the wrong line. It was very late last night. :)

Comment

• Notice that no one had more than 6. These guys need to r bound as a team. Tons of long athleticism, but not much height. Box out and grab the ball!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X