Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Who ran the practices until November? The guys who aren't rebounding and boxing out are the guys who've been in the program a few years. The best rebounders in boards/minute are Jackson and Council.

If you want to blame coaching for the lack of boards, it's the guys with a couple years under Marshall who are disappointing and it's the guys who've had about equal coaching from Marshall and Brown that rebound better.

If Poor Bear and Udeze became great rebounders under Marshall's practices, they would still be great rebounders after just a couple of months under Brown's coaching.
    Speaking of broken records. I’ll tell you the same as you tell me: whose the coach now?

Comment

Who ran the practices until November? The guys who aren't rebounding and boxing out are the guys who've been in the program a few years. The best rebounders in boards/minute are Jackson and Council.

If you want to blame coaching for the lack of boards, it's the guys with a couple years under Marshall who are disappointing and it's the guys who've had about equal coaching from Marshall and Brown that rebound better.

If Poor Bear and Udeze became great rebounders under Marshall's practices, they would still be great rebounders after just a couple of months under Brown's coaching.
      So you think if Marshall was still coach of the team, they’d be ranked 324 in rebounding? That definitely makes sense.

A huge change occurred in the off season and people think it’s a coincidence the rebounding numbers dropped. Unbelievable. Does IB just get a pass for everything? So he’s also not responsible for the 12-4 record? Which is it?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Who knows? Maybe the "fear" is gone now that we have a new "Marshall" in town so to speak. Maybe not.

Comment

• I think this game might have been a wakeup call for Dexter. Read the post game comments and he talks about how he was more aggressive going after loose balls and rebounds. It's almost as if he realizes he's been coasting up until now. The video will show a different Dexter this game. Hopefully he can keep the effort up going forward.

Comment

Who ran the practices until November?
            Actually I don't think there were many practices before November due to Covid breaks and then leave of absence by Marshall.

Comment

• Some interesting conversation about the Shockers on Sports Daily this morning.

One point where I disagree is this emerging willingness to accept that we are not a good rebounding team because we are undersized or have guys that “weren’t born with it”.

While those things may be true and may ultimately limit our ceiling as a rebounding team both statements are still cop outs.

Rather than being seen as reasons to accept our poor rebounding they should be seen as reasons why it’s imperative for this team to improve their diligence in checking out every possession.

We don’t have the margin of error that other taller teams do but to say our rebounding can’t improve is false. It can and it must improve if we want to reach our ceiling and it’s as simple as checking out after every shot. It isn’t hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                Some interesting conversation about the Shockers on Sports Daily this morning.

One point where I disagree is this emerging willingness to accept that we are not a good rebounding team because we are undersized or have guys that “weren’t born with it”.

While those things may be true and may ultimately limit our ceiling as a rebounding team both statements are still cop outs.

Rather than being seen as reasons to accept our poor rebounding they should be seen as reasons why it’s imperative for this team to improve their diligence in checking out every possession.

We don’t have the margin of error that other taller teams do but to say our rebounding can’t improve is false. It can and it must improve if we want to reach our ceiling and it’s as simple as checking out after every shot. It isn’t hard.
                How tall was the X Man?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

How tall was the X Man?
                  I assume you already know the answer but 6’7. As I’ve said before I think rebounding is like any other skill. If enough time is properly invested it can be improved, perhaps even more so than skills like shooting.

As with all skills the sooner a player is taught the fundamentals and importance of rebounding the better. Those kids will seem to be “natural rebounders” by the time they get to the higher levels.

Unfortunately rebounding fundamentals is probably one of the least emphasized aspects of basketball at the youth level along with defensive fundamentals. It’s just not as apparently sexy as other things that happen on the court.

Here’s an interesting article I found that contains a lot of good information.

Master basketball defensive and offensive rebounding, rebounding mentality, team rebounding, rebounding free-throws, and zone rebounding.

Comment

• X grew to 6'8" his senior year and then shrunk back to 6'7" when he was in the NBA

Comment

• Here's the deal. We have been a crappy rebounding team, and we have not really paid the price..... yet.

Will we? Who knows? But, we don't HAVE to be a crappy rebounding team from here on out. And if that happens, we can skate.

Obviously easier said than done, but if we don't get any worse (is that even possible? Never mind, I didn't ask that) than we'll have to get better.

All we really need is one or 2 guys to become rebounding dogs and you would be amazed how much better the team rebounding would be.

Thinking of a guy like Jamie Arnold just vacuuming up 12-20 a game. Just find a guy who wants to get double figure rebounds a game, and let him go.

This, to me would be the key to the vault on minutes, if I were IB. You get rebounds, you play. Every rebound, is like scoring, because our 2nd chance points we are gifting is hurting badly.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        Some interesting conversation about the Shockers on Sports Daily this morning.

You are absolutely correct. Its nothing but a lame cop out. The reason DD got 10 rebounds last night is because finally he went after the ball. There are other players on this team that need to pursue the dam ball. TW, MU, IPBC, and JB. I was disappointed in J Bilau play last night. Catch the freeking ball and go up with the shot strong. . Stop letting the other team push you around. Play like a man!

Comment

• hard.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                            I’ll just put this here; we’re top 10 in something...

is that good defense or just poor shooters in the AAC?

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              is that good defense or just poor shooters in the AAC?
                              Well, I have observed in watching several AAC games this season that there are some poor excuses for 'motion offense' in the league. Like, every game. I've watched several games from other conferences and their motion is much more efficient and done with a 'purpose'.

Comment

• The thing that really concerns me is that a very big deal was made out of rebounding in the press before the UCF game and it was still a miserable problem in this game. To me that signals there is no quick fix to this issue or just a rebounding “switch” that can be turned on.

Comment

Working...
                                X