Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Shocks have a huge weakness and that is rebounding. We used to be a top rebounding team every year. I remember GM saying that his main job as Head Coach was to focus on the improvement of the team. Scouting reports were done by Assistant Coaches, and approved by him but after every game, his focus was on Team Improvement. We used the be a very good rebounding team every year, and now we are a poor rebounding team. Just look at the rankings.

Some Team Stats.
    WSU is #244 Ranked Rebounding Rate (350 Teams) as of 1/30/2021
    —2020 47.9% Rate
    —2019 53.2% Rate

This year, excluding ESU and KNC (Div. 2 Teams)
    WSU 420 Rebounds (Ave. of 38)
    Opp. 457 Rebounds (Ave of 41)

ORU -2
    Mizz. -3
    OSU. -11
    Tul. +5
    USF -15
    Ole M. +3
    UH -4
    Cincy. -1
    Tul +4
    Mem. -8
    UCF. -5

All rebounds are important. Off and Def.
    A couple of games have been respectable but our rebounding has been dismal overall with a ranking of #244. Tulsa is even below that.

Besides Tulsa (if they are), who has a smaller front court than WSU in the AAC? Last year WSU had a 6'11" 255 lb. post, and we still got our butts whipped by on the glass by Houston twice, and Memphis at their gym. And Temple at theirs. The Mountaineers owned us.
    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 31, 2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      Besides Tulsa (if they are), who has a smaller front court than WSU?
      yeah, but that's only part of it

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        Besides Tulsa (if they are), who has a smaller front court than WSU in the AAC? Last year WSU had a 6'11" 255 lb. post, and we still got our butts whipped by on the glass by Houston twice, and Memphis at their gym. And Temple at theirs. The Mountaineers owned us.
        Tulsa was #247
        Iowa State #332

The remainder of teams were kind of embarrassing iirc. By all means, let’s make more excuses. We have a 6’8 240 and 6’9 255. They should compete well against UH 6’8 250.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Tulsa was #247
          Iowa State #332

The remainder of teams were kind of embarrassing iirc. By all means, let’s make more excuses. We have a 6’8 240 and 6’9 255. They should compete well against UH 6’8 250.
          I think I heard that that UH is Top 5 in the country in rebounding... They are far from the norm for their size.

Comment

Someone should have told X that he was only 6'7". He should have known he couldn't lead the nation in rebounding.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
              Someone should have told X that he was only 6'7". He should have known he couldn't lead the nation in rebounding.
              Lol. I thought X was actually 6'6. And so was Ramone Clemente, Bill Lang, Claudius Johnson and Rashard Kelly. Those guys had heart and believed every rebound was theirs. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Lol. I thought X was actually 6'6. And so was Ramone Clemente, Bill Lang, Claudius Johnson and Rashard Kelly. Those guys had heart and believed every rebound was theirs. Go Shocks.
                You’re right. Rebounding is largely heart, effort, and attitude. That needs to be demanded of our big guys if they don’t see it in themselves.

Comment

Don’t forget undersized Carl Hall

Comment

How about Cheese Johnson?

Add: 9.3 RPG for his 4 year career. Not bad for 6'6".

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Don’t forget undersized Carl Hall
                      I thought Rashard might be more. Go Shockers had him at 6'7"and Carl Hall at 6'8". Wild Bill Lang was 6'5" and If you're going to mention him, Neil Strom 6'7". Now that was a pair to watch.

Side Note: I must have forgotten, but Bill Lang passed away in 2009 at age 57.

Comment

I think it's more than just "want to". I think having a knack for reading and anticipating ball redirections is a really important component.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          I think it's more than just "want to". I think having a knack for reading and anticipating ball redirections is a really important component.
                          As well as crashing the boards and blocking out. Size and desire certainly help but more goes into it that just that.

Comment

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeap I forgot about Cheese and Carl Hall. YIKES!!! Another undersized player that was tough was Steve Kaolinska . Sorry if I misspelled his name wrong. On this team I really think CJ and R Council IV possess some of that moxie we all are craving . I really think once they fully grasp our system and get more experience they are going to be good. When you got thoughbreds at some point you got to let them run. Will leave that decision up to coach IB.

Time to get ready for Tulane. Hope the half court defense improves. Get her done no excuses.

Comment

Working...
                              X