Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I think I heard that that UH is Top 5 in the country in rebounding... They are far from the norm for their size.
    We used to be up there too every year. What's changed? Defending and rebounding is something that our team is talented enough to do, and we always used to do. We defend well often but we don't rebound well..

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      I think it's more than just "want to". I think having a knack for reading and anticipating ball redirections is a really important component.
      That's why I said largely attitude, desire, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        Yeap I forgot about Cheese and Carl Hall. YIKES!!! Another undersized player that was tough was Steve Kaolinska . Sorry if I misspelled his name wrong. On this team I really think CJ and R Council IV possess some of that moxie we all are craving . I really think once they fully grasp our system and get more experience they are going to be good. When you got thoughbreds at some point you got to let them run. Will leave that decision up to coach IB.

Time to get ready for Tulane. Hope the half court defense improves. Get her done no excuses.
        Good catch on Kalocinski. At 6'6", he averaged 5.7 rebounds per game over his last 3 seasons with 8.3 rpg his senior year.

Comment

Do any of these guys still have any eligibility? Sounds like we could use 'em!

Comment

Bottom line, as much as I cheer for him, Trey Wade is having a down year with his shooting and defense. That’s why HCIB put in Monzy for the final minutes of both game and OT on Saturday, for his energy. It’s in the Eagle this morning. It was obvious that his defense 1-2-2 trap was a huge call by Coach and a success and his insertion of Monzy was very key as well.

Even if you can’t score but play D and rebound, you can start...Rashard Kelly for example. TW has to step up man.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
              Bottom line, as much as I cheer for him, Trey Wade is having a down year with his shooting and defense. That’s why HCIB put in Monzy for the final minutes of both game and OT on Saturday, for his energy. It’s in the Eagle this morning. It was obvious that his defense 1-2-2 trap was a huge call by Coach and a success and his insertion of Monzy was very key as well.

Even if you can’t score but play D and rebound, you can start...Rashard Kelly for example. TW has to step up man.
              Yeap. Totally agree. TW has not played up to his abilities. Very frustrating to watch his lack of defense and rebounding. What is really problematic is that this team will contest the first shot by the other team, and then let them rebound the miss. And it seems like when it happens the other team hits a 3 pointer. Defensive rebounding has been terrible this year. Need more guys with energy that are going to go and grab the dam ball.

Comment

We’ve shown the ability on occasion to be a good, not great defensive rebounding team. We’ve shown more examples of poor defensive rebounding

Same thing goes for our defensive. We are capable of playing great defense at times but too often make basic errors that indicate a lack of...something. Focus?

Our lack of consistency in those two areas will hold the team back from reaching their potential. Will they reach the necessary level of consistency this year? I don't know.

Comment

We have some regular season games left that should, I carefully say should, allow the coach to give JB
                  some PT at both 4/5 spots with the onus being on rebounding and defense. IMHO he has not been
                  given much opportunity to prove himself. Would hate to see him disregarded like AM was and we
                  eventually see him transfer to another program/coach who knows how to take advantage of his size and length.

Comment

I see a lot of these posts are absolving the guards of crashing the glass too, which is something GGG would never do. He wanted the 5 On The Floor To Attack. How many front line players have averaged even 7 boards under GGG's time here? There's a reason why we're digging up rebounding stats from 40+ years ago.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 1, 2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      We have some regular season games left that should, I carefully say should, allow the coach to give JB
                      some PT at both 4/5 spots with the onus being on rebounding and defense. IMHO he has not been
                      given much opportunity to prove himself. Would hate to see him disregarded like AM was and we
                      eventually see him transfer to another program/coach who knows how to take advantage of his size and length.
                      Just went and checked. Ramon Clemente x2, Garrett Stutz, Rashard Kelly, and Jamie Echenique. Only 4 guys to avg 7 RB during Marshall tenure regardless of position.
                      Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post

Just went and checked. Ramon Clemente x2, Garrett Stutz, Rashard Kelly, and Jamie Echenique. Only 4 guys to avg 7 RB during Marshall tenure regardless of position.
                        Thank you Russ.

Comment

Carl Hall avg 6.8 and 5.0 surprisingly.

Comment

If you go down to 6.0 a game, then Gabe Blair, Carl Hall, Daryll Willis, and Echenique a 2nd time get added.

Comment

Lots of ways to look at rebounding. Rebounds per game, rebounds per minute, rebounds per 40 at each position, etc. The bottom line for me is I want to win as many games as possible. If we outrebound the other team we will win more games than if we don't. I would like to see our team work on this and improve.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I think if WSU is lacking anything that can be pointed to in the rebounding department it would be strong/big guards that relish getting dirty (Baker, Cotton, Shamet and Reaves).

Maybe IB's philosophy is to sacrifice a little in the way of cleaning the glass to maximize opportunities for easy buckets, which would be lay-ups off of the fast break? That philosophy is as old as basketball itself (the easy buckets part).

Comment

Working...
                                X