2020-21 AAC games/discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

As much as I would selfishly like for us to be the autobid out of the conference championship, that just wouldn't be right for all the other teams. Gone would be the ability for ECU to make a magical run, win the American tourny and punch their ticket to the dance. Wouldn't be cool.
    Bold of you to assume that ECU won't be in COVID pause for the 5th time

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Bold of you to assume that ECU won't be in COVID pause for the 5th time
      SMU?

Comment

• Is Houston a "lock" because they've won 20 games? Or is it because they beat a .500 Big-12 team (Texas Tech)??? They're super good no doubt...but they also have a couple what we be deemd as "bad losses" in Tulsa and East Carolina.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Is Houston a "lock" because they've won 20 games? Or is it because they beat a .500 Big-12 team (Texas Tech)??? They're super good no doubt...but they also have a couple what we be deemd as "bad losses" in Tulsa and East Carolina.
          A net ranking of #4 may have something to do with it even though that metric seems to be producing screwball results this year.

Currently they are 2-1 (Q1), 4-1 (Q2), 9-1 (Q3) and 4-0 (Q-4). Houston is ranked #3 in the RPI. Houston's non-con SOS is 92.

In any case, Houston should be a lock.

The Shocks are 2-2 (Q1), 2-2 (Q-2) 5-0 (Q3) and 2-0 (Q4) with a non-con SOS of 23. Our net ranking is currently #66 but our RPI has us #18. I guess the net doesn't like close wins. Not sure what explains the disrepancy between our NET and RPI while Houston's rankings in these two metrics are nearly the same.

Comment

• That damn NET thing again. Lol.
            Of course they should be a lock. :) I was simply looking at their schedule and didn't see much difference as to who they beat and lost to. Compared to ours it seems to not really be anything to write home about. Ole' Miss and Texas Tech are both .500 in conference play. Maybe the Texas Tech home win for Houston is perceived better than our 'Ole Miss road win. Or maybe that 66 point win Houston had on Feb. 6 over Lady of the Lake was the clincher. ;)
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

A net ranking of #4 may have something to do with it even though that metric seems to be producing screwball results this year.

Currently they are 2-1 (Q1), 4-1 (Q2), 9-1 (Q3) and 4-0 (Q-4). Houston is ranked #3 in the RPI. Houston's non-con SOS is 92.

In any case, Houston should be a lock.

The Shocks are 2-2 (Q1), 2-2 (Q-2) 5-0 (Q3) and 2-0 (Q4) with a non-con SOS of 23. Our net ranking is currently #66 but our RPI has us #18. I guess the net doesn't like close wins. Not sure what explains the disrepancy between our NET and RPI while Houston's rankings in these two metrics are nearly the same.
              The problem that I have with the NET is that there is seemingly no plus component that examines our SOS. If you compare our SOS of 23 and Houston's of 92, it would seem it should assist our NET ranking. I guess we are punished for not playing 2-3 Presbyterian's who are in the 300 range and nailing them to the wall. Obviously, we didn't play (rebound) well against Temple and Tulane and only won by a few in both but their NET is 160 or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The problem that I have with the NET is that there is seemingly no plus component that examines our SOS. If you compare our SOS of 23 and Houston's of 92, it would seem it should assist our NET ranking. I guess we are punished for not playing 2-3 Presbyterian's who are in the 300 range and nailing them to the wall. Obviously, we didn't play (rebound) well against Temple and Tulane and only won by a few in both but their NET is 160 or so.
                Actually, a lot of it comes from beating the following teams by 15+ or just absolutely dusting them, whereas we won by single digits.

Temple
                South Florida
                Tulane
                Cincy
                SMU (we didn't play them obviously)
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here as well because of the AAC's covid and rescheduling problems. The MVC has finished their conference season with all teams playing the full schedule of 18 games. Playing both "H&A" games a day apart at only 1 site probably helped this. Nevertheless, quite the accomplishment given they finish a week earlier than most.

Comment

Has anyone posted WSU's RPI ranking on this forum yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Has anyone posted WSU's RPI ranking on this forum yet?
                      One of the above posts says it's 18.

Comment

One of the above posts says it's 18.
                        Didn't see it. I thought I had heard somewhere we were ranked fairly well in that metric. That's good (for WSU). I'll double check that later today when I have some free time.

After watching OSU beat OU on their court, along with watching Ole Miss have some success on their court, on top of Houston slaying opponents, I believe WSU has proved that they deserve an invite (many do) as of today. BUT, the season ain't over yet...

Comment

• Comment

• What a joke

Comment

• George is getting upset!

Comment

• Jimmy doesn't like misunderstanding...

Comment

Working...
                                X