Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Is it his attractiveness that is the source of this alleged offer or is it desperation from Indiana?

If Stevens had stayed at Butler, continued on the same trajectory success wise, and received a raise from Butler that matched what he’s making now with the Celtics Indiana would be just as willing to offer the amount they supposedly did if that’s what it would take to get him.
    Lots of "if's" in that statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Lots of "if's" in that statement.
      There were literally two “if’s” in that entire post.

I don’t think it’s that far fetched to assume Butler would have continued to be very good under Brad Stevens. Or that to keep him for the next nine years it would require them to pay him more money. Or that 9 years of continued success at either the NBA or NCAA level would make a coach one of the most sought after coaching candidates.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

There were literally two “if’s” in that entire post.

I don’t think it’s that far fetched to assume Butler would have continued to be very good under Brad Stevens. Or that to keep him for the next nine years it would require them to pay him more money. Or that 9 years of continued success at either the NBA or NCAA level would make a coach one of the most sought after coaching candidates.
        You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. If you are proven to be successful at the NBA level, in addition to the college level, you add 32 potential employers. Those NBA employers, on average, pay significantly more than college employers.

I am not going to argue the semantics of "attractiveness." I trust you fully grasp the market concept of supply and demand.

And because of his proven success, and because the NBA pays significantly more than college, Indiana has to pay more to fend off the Celtics than all but maybe 3-4 colleges.

Comment

• The real question is whether Brad Steven’s wants to work with kids and do all the other stuff that goes along with college basketball - recruiting, keeping grades, fundraising, etc. it’s not just about coaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            The real question is whether Brad Steven’s wants to work with kids and do all the other stuff that goes along with college basketball - recruiting, keeping grades, fundraising, etc. it’s not just about coaching.
            Exactly. Your comment reminds me of Last Chance U on Netflix, everything that coaches have to manage in the college game is ridiculous, understand that the show is dealing with JUCO kids, which adds another layer of complexity, but still having to manage all of the extra issues off the court has to be a huge time/energy suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              The real question is whether Brad Steven’s wants to work with kids and do all the other stuff that goes along with college basketball - recruiting, keeping grades, fundraising, etc. it’s not just about coaching.
              College has a lot less travel. Lot more nights at home. If a coach is married and or has kids that would be important.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. If you are proven to be successful at the NBA level, in addition to the college level, you add 32 potential employers. Those NBA employers, on average, pay significantly more than college employers.

I am not going to argue the semantics of "attractiveness." I trust you fully grasp the market concept of supply and demand.

And because of his proven success, and because the NBA pays significantly more than college, Indiana has to pay more to fend off the Celtics than all but maybe 3-4 colleges.
                You’re talking about compensation, my original post was about his stock as a coaching candidate. If the Indiana job had opened up in 2012 they would have wanted Brad Stevens the same as they did when it came open in 2017 the same as they supposedly do now.

Comment

• Stevens could be even more attractive now than had he stayed at the college level because he can also sell his NBA experience and connections to recruits.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• nm
                    Last edited by Ashockalypse; March 18, 2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Nm
                      Last edited by Ashockalypse; March 18, 2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• What's the buy-out again??? Holy Molly....
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Can we go ahead and void that new contract?

Comment

• How embarrassing. Something on our bench was mvc level and it isn’t the players.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Brown is not it!
                              When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                                How embarrassing. Something on our bench was mvc level and it isn’t the players.
                                Don't knock the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                                X