No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a buddy at the office, an Indiana alum with some connections in the program. He told me an offer has been made to Brad Stevens, 7 years, $49 million.

Surprised he even still talks to me. Won two cases of beer off him for the last two times our programs have played. He's a good sport. :)
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
      Have a buddy at the office, an Indiana alum with some connections in the program. He told me an offer has been made to Brad Stevens, 7 years, $49 million.

Surprised he even still talks to me. Won two cases of beer off him for the last two times our programs have played. He's a good sport. :)
      Brad Stevens to Indiana is laughable. Why would he even consider leaving the Celtics for the headache that is coaching college basketball? I could see it if the C’s were bad and he was in danger of losing his job but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Brad Stevens to Indiana is laughable. Why would he even consider leaving the Celtics for the headache that is coaching college basketball? I could see it if the C’s were bad and he was in danger of losing his job but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
        Yeah, that's a strong argument.

Also consider Brad Stevens is from Indiana and he'd be almost doubling his salary over what he currently makes.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Also consider Brad Stevens is from Indiana and he'd be almost doubling his salary over what he currently makes.
          Frankly I think I’d take college over pro, things being mildly equal

Comment

Good point on the salary. It just seems unlikely that money is going to be enough for him to go back to the college ranks. If that was his main factor, why go the the NBA in the first place? I don’t get the impression that his stock has moved much either way since going to the NBA so surely similar offers would have been available to him when he was still at Butler.

I feel like if a coach is going to move back to NCAA it’s because they weren’t successful in the NBA (Calipari, Pitino) or they can’t sit still (Larry Brown).

Comment

• A $7 million per year, 7 year contract certainly might have some repercussions for the college game especially when players already seem to believe (an understandably so) that they are being exploited for the financial benefit of others.

Comment

Good point on the salary. It just seems unlikely that money is going to be enough for him to go back to the college ranks. If that was his main factor, why go the the NBA in the first place? I don’t get the impression that his stock has moved much either way since going to the NBA so surely similar offers would have been available to him when he was still at Butler.

I feel like if a coach is going to move back to NCAA it’s because they weren’t successful in the NBA (Calipari, Pitino) or they can’t sit still (Larry Brown).
                His needle has most definitely risen since he has gone to the Celtics! He has proven he can be successful at the highest level. He had a good reputation and was well respected as a college coach, he is now one of the hottest commodities (pro or college) because of his success in the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

His needle has most definitely risen since he has gone to the Celtics! He has proven he can be successful at the highest level. He had a good reputation and was well respected as a college coach, he is now one of the hottest commodities (pro or college) because of his success in the NBA.
                  Possibly. Did anyone really doubt his coaching ability after he took Butler to two national championship games?

Comment

Possibly. Did anyone really doubt his coaching ability after he took Butler to two national championship games?
                    His college coaching ability no. But, he has proven he can coach in the NBA too, which not a lot of college coaches have done.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

His college coaching ability no. But, he has proven he can coach in the NBA too, which not a lot of college coaches have done.
                      Right, which was my point. Indiana, and probably any other school looking for a coach, would have hired him 9 years ago based on his resume at Butler. They would still hire him today so his success in the NBA hasn’t changed his attractiveness as a college coach, IMO.

And that’s not even considering that at one level doesn’t necessarily translate to success at the other. Having a good front office in place, which the Celtics do, makes the coaches job a lot easier. Would Gregg Popovich or Eric Spoelstra be a great college coach? Probably but it’s not a sure thing.

Comment

Have a buddy at the office, an Indiana alum with some connections in the program. He told me an offer has been made to Brad Stevens, 7 years, $49 million.

If true.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          A $7 million per year, 7 year contract certainly might have some repercussions for the college game especially when players already seem to believe (an understandably so) that they are being exploited for the financial benefit of others.
                          There are already coaches that make that though ... (Coach K and Cal)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There are already coaches that make that though ... (Coach K and Cal)
                            Thanks, I did not realize salaries had escalated that much. Still will not doubt add some fuel to the fire.

Comment

Right, which was my point. Indiana, and probably any other school looking for a coach, would have hired him 9 years ago based on his resume at Butler. They would still hire him today so his success in the NBA hasn’t changed his attractiveness as a college coach, IMO.

And that’s not even considering that at one level doesn’t necessarily translate to success at the other. Having a good front office in place, which the Celtics do, makes the coach's job a lot easier. Would Gregg Popovich or Eric Spoelstra be a great college coach? Probably but it’s not a sure thing.
                              But what does change is how many total suitors he might have. He is a proven commodity at 2 levels, not one. Because of his success at the NBA level, he might command a salary most college coaches can only dream of.

And his attractiveness has changed. NO ONE was paying him $7M for 7 years based on his success at Butler. And Indiana doesn't need to pay him $7M for 7 to get him away from another college program. They MUST offer this price to have any chance at getting him away from the Celtics.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

But what does change is how many total suitors he might have. He is a proven commodity at 2 levels, not one. Because of his success at the NBA level, he might command a salary most college coaches can only dream of.

And his attractiveness has changed. NO ONE was paying him $7M for 7 years based on his success at Butler. And Indiana doesn't need to pay him $7M for 7 to get him away from another college program. They MUST offer this price to have any chance at getting him away from the Celtics.
                                Is it his attractiveness that is the source of this alleged offer or is it desperation from Indiana?

If Stevens had stayed at Butler, continued on the same trajectory success wise, and received a raise from Butler that matched what he’s making now with the Celtics Indiana would be just as willing to offer the amount they supposedly did if that’s what it would take to get him.

Comment

Working...
                                X