Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    Am wondering how many fans wish we would have waited till the end of the season to make a decision on IB?
    The last three games have seriously tarnished him. Had we waited I'd bet he would not have the job now.
    Do that and we would likely have entries into the portal at Cincy's and USF's levels. Brown may have got the job based on an attempt to keep the players, which isn't a great way to do things, but the alternative is to risk two consecutive years of a major rebuild.

Times have changed with the new transfer rules. Players with any potential at all who are even mildly dissatisfied will be gone at the end of the season. AD's have coaches on really short leashes for anything that is offensive to players. Doesn't matter if fans think it's OK. If the players are upset - they're gone.

I agree that the last 3 games made Brown look like he's in over his head. The inability to hold a lead was there all season. I don't think the players were mentally prepared to win. I suspect neither IB or Kennedy have that ability, which was a hallmark of GGG's coaching.

I'm going to give IB another season before I pass any judgement. I've supported his hiring because the alternative was a likely complete rebuild.

IB had no option but to coach the system he inherited. It's been obvious all season that the system doesn't work well with the current personnel. Shut down Etienne and let AG freelance, ISO, and shoot all he wants. Try to limit Udeze with doubles because he never finds the open guy on the perimeter. As the season went on, the scout became easier. ignore Dennis and Wade. Smother Etienne. Double Udeze. Make Gilbert beat you.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
      They are 3-2 since the interim was removed. Two 1 point losses, to lesser teams IMO, is hardly enough of a sample size to say yes or no if he still gets the gig. I think Cincy game had more to do with coaching than the last game. His CPOY 1 point and 4 fouls and they still lost by one point. Yes, two 12 point leads blown but it wasn’t coaching it was lack of execution down the stretch by the players. Many times they were in the right spot they just didn’t make the play.
      My biggest gripe about IB coaching is his inability to coach the SHJ out of Gilbert. So maybe he “cuddled” him too much I don’t know but a little too trusting of him where I don’t know if he should be.
      He should not be the guy nor guy with the ball in this hand with the game close or on the line. Option 1 Dexter Option 2 Tyson Option 3 MU... If the last two games of year was an indicator... Gilbert shat the bed. Great year all and all

Comment

• How many free throws has Tyson missed in crunch time of tight games? Coach can’t make these. Tyson is supposed to be THE GUY. 3G lost to freakin’ Marshall in the first round. Brown was making his debut, give him a little slack. Now, what Brown needs to do to earn his check is make some hard personnel decisions this off season and prove his worth with a few recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          How many free throws has Tyson missed in crunch time of tight games? Coach can’t make these. Tyson is supposed to be THE GUY. 3G lost to freakin’ Marshall in the first round. Brown was making his debut, give him a little slack. Now, what Brown needs to do to earn his check is make some hard personnel decisions this off season and prove his worth with a few recruits.
          All of that is good....

Comment

• AG and TE were both bad last night. To AG's credit, he didn't shoot very much ii the 2nd half. He was trying to get the ball inside and be more of a distributor. Really, only Mo and Dexter played well offensively last night, and Mo has gone back on his free throws to probably a 50-60 percent free thrower. Better than the 40% of the past but not as good as the 75-80% free thrower of earlier this year. It's a mystery to me why Tyson isn't a better free throw shooter than he is.

Comment

• IB may or may not turn out to be a good hire. Recruiting, his ability to coach players up, and improve his own
              game situational coaching are keys. That said, I never understood why the AD offered him a 5 year contract for
              as much money as he did. I think IB could have easily been bought for two years @ 750K a year with some
              incentive clauses based on performance. Even less or not at all if we had waited until the end of the season.
              If we get a new AD I am wondering if IB's contract could be restructured?

Comment

IB may or may not turn out to be a good hire. Recruiting, his ability to coach players up, and improve his own
                game situational coaching are keys. That said, I never understood why the AD offered him a 5 year contract for
                as much money as he did. I think IB could have easily been bought for two years @ 750K a year with some
                incentive clauses based on performance. Even less or not at all if we had waited until the end of the season.
                Purely lazy work by Boatright. Should we have expected actual effort from the guy?

Comment

IB may or may not turn out to be a good hire. Recruiting, his ability to coach players up, and improve his own
                  A two year contract makes recruiting tougher. A 5-year contract is okay as long as you leave yourself a reasonable buyout.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

A two year contract makes recruiting tougher. A 5-year contract is okay as long as you leave yourself a reasonable buyout.
                    This .. 5 year was minimum for ANY coach we hired. You can't expect a brand new coach to recruit High School kids when he can't even say he's under contract through their collegiate career. The buyout was key. I'm not sure the buyout has been released yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This .. 5 year was minimum for ANY coach we hired. You can't expect a brand new coach to recruit High School kids when he can't even say he's under contract through their collegiate career. The buyout was key. I'm not sure the buyout has been released yet?
                      It is all verbal at this point. No formal contract yet. I assume when it is finished it will show up in the Open Records.

Comment

"If WSU chooses to terminate Brown’s contract without cause in the first three years (before May 1, 2024), then the university would owe Brown the amount equal to the remaining balance on Brown’s contract. WSU would be able to buy Brown out of his contract in the fourth year or fifth year by paying half of his remaining salary."

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

"If WSU chooses to terminate Brown’s contract without cause in the first three years (before May 1, 2024), then the university would owe Brown the amount equal to the remaining balance on Brown’s contract. WSU would be able to buy Brown out of his contract in the fourth year or fifth year by paying half of his remaining salary."

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...249770628.html
                          So basically a mil or less buyout as we would be very unlikely to make a move until year 4.

Comment

So basically a mil or less buyout as we would be very unlikely to make a move until year 4.
                            Yeah, so not bad at all
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Yeah, so not bad at all
                              Depends how those first three years go.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Depends how those first three years go.
                                Every coach gets 3 years. No matter who we would have hired. Unless you want us to be Memphis fan.

Hell even if we fire after 2 years it is still a lower buyout than a lot of coaches would have since he makes so low compared to other coaches

That is a low buyout regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X