Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    I enjoyed the interview! HCIB seems to have his head screwed on to his shoulders very tight. I especially noticed how he consistently deferred credit from himself and praised the team, school and "kids". Regardless of whether he ultimately gets offered the HC job, he should be proud of his career accomplishments and he continues to be a fantastic ambassador for the university.

Comment

• IB said he has never interviewed for a head coaching job. Interesting. I thought he said earlier that he had turned down a job last year.

I wished that he would have stated that 7 of 11 head coaches are Black in the AAC. Seems like that would have been relevant to the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
        IB said he has never interviewed for a head coaching job. Interesting. I thought he said earlier that he had turned down a job last year.

I wished that he would have stated that 7 of 11 head coaches are Black in the AAC. Seems like that would have been relevant to the discussion.
        I could be wrong, but I took it to mean prior to coming to WSU (during his stints at previous stops) he hadn't interviewed for any HC jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I could be wrong, but I took it to mean prior to coming to WSU (during his stints at previous stops) he hadn't interviewed for any HC jobs.
          You can turn down a job without having interviewed.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

You can turn down a job without having interviewed.
            That's what I was about to say. It's very possible someone has reached out for an interview and he declined because it wasn't a job he was interested in.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Are you saying that someone wouldn’t be interested in jobs at Dixie State, Incarnate Word, or Presbyterian, etc. ,etc.,etc. and that isn’t including Div..2 jobs? They probably look for candidates every other year.

Comment

• I'm still old and senile, but I haven't yet hit the bottom of the Jack Daniels bottle, so I think it's safe to post.

To demonstrate that I'm keeping an open mind I checked out the coaching careers of a couple coaches I thought I should have considered based on what they've done recently.

Niko Medved at Colorado State is having a great year, but his track record shows a .502 career W/L record.

Western Kentucky looked good for one half against Houston. Their coach, Rick Stansbury, has 388 D1 W's. He's 61 and has a career .637 W/L record. I think he'd be a legitimate candidate to interview.

Are there some up-and-coming lower-level coaches who have decent credentials? I'm not impressed with what I can find at the mid-major level. Turgeon and Marshall both came from what's typically considered low major levels.

If Jans is the hire, I'm 100% behind it. I don't think it's going to happen for a variety of reasons. Past Jans, I've done some research, but certainly not as much as some others. I haven't found coaches looking for a step up that I'd prefer over IB.

Everybody knew Marshall at Winthrop was a hot coach. I haven't seen anything resembling Marshall's level of recognition in the lower ranks recently. IMHO, there isn't a "Marshall" at a lower-level program now. Compared to others, I'm a casual observer, but I knew about Marshall without digging when he was at Winthrop.

We'll know more once the coaching carousel starts up in April.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• A lower tier HC that I think could be considered is Murry St coach Matt McMahon. One reason is that, of the games I've watched Murry St. They had a very athletic team. The biggest key to the next coach has to be the ability to get athletic players who can hold their own against AAC competition.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    A lower tier HC that I think could be considered is Murry St coach Matt McMahon. One reason is that, of the games I've watched Murry St. They had a very athletic team. The biggest key to the next coach has to be the ability to get athletic players who can hold their own against AAC competition.
                    He is the hot lower level coach for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Niko Medved at Colorado State is having a great year, but his track record shows a .502 career W/L record.

Western Kentucky looked good for one half against Houston. Their coach, Rick Stansbury, has 388 D1 W's. He's 61 and has a career .637 W/L record. I think he'd be a legitimate candidate to interview.
                      To Medved's credit, he's made the program significantly better everywhere he's been. Furman was 342 in KenPom the year he arrived, and 106 three years later. Colorado State was 180 in KenPom in 2019, and now they are 68.

Stansbury can recruit but I think there's a whole lot of other stuff that goes with him (cheating allegations) that I don't think Shocker fans/boosters will like.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

A lower tier HC that I think could be considered is Murry St coach Matt McMahon. One reason is that, of the games I've watched Murry St. They had a very athletic team. The biggest key to the next coach has to be the ability to get athletic players who can hold their own against AAC competition.
                        Unfortunately, Murray State has taken a significant step back since Ja Morant left (130s-140s each year since). Having a lottery pick on your team, especially in the OVC, makes you look like a much better coach.

If you can't continue to recruit/win at that level, it's probably not going to be a great option. Just my $.02.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Unfortunately, Murray State has taken a significant step back since Ja Morant left (130s-140s each year since). Having a lottery pick on your team, especially in the OVC, makes you look like a much better coach.

If you can't continue to recruit/win at that level, it's probably not going to be a great option. Just my $.02.
                          I agree. I'm still much more inclined to roll the dice with IB and this current roster. As opposed to bringing in a lower tier DIV I coach and raising the likelihood that we have more player departures.

But I'm trying to go through the due diligence and look at what's out there. Nothing really excites me too much.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I agree. I'm still much more inclined to roll the dice with IB and this current roster. As opposed to bringing in a lower tier DIV I coach and raising the likelihood that we have more player departures.

But I'm trying to go through the due diligence and look at what's out there. Nothing really excites me too much.
                            At this point .. I think the Coaching search will consist of reaching out to Grand Slam hires and trying to work something out. HCIB has eliminated the need to try to find a hidden gem.

Comment

• Comment

• NM

Comment

Working...
                                X