Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Brown has all but locked this job up unless something catastrophic happens between now and the end of the season.

Win over the highest ranked opponent in Wichita since 1967. Smithson never beat a team as highly ranked as Houston (in Wichita). Neither did Marshall.

Probable CoY in the AAC. Getting mentioned for NCoY honors. Optics of hiring anybody else are starting to look really bad. Then there's the perspective from prospective hires. How many available coaches want to replace a potential conference CoY?

Brown has experience recruiting AAC-level players for several years. Jans has experience recruiting MVC, OVC, and WAC players. He's been incredibly successful recruiting WAC winners. His first year was almost a complete turnover and rebuild. We know Jans can close the deal. We know Brown can set up the close for AAC-level players. We don't know if either Brown or Jans can close the deal on AAC-level players.
    How many coaches want to take over a Top 30 program, with a built roster, with top notch facilities and support, as well as a young roster in the running to win the AAC?

You are probably right, no one would want that job.

Wait, that means that iHCIB probably doesn’t want to follow fHCGM and will be leaving us! Who wants to follow that guy. He is the winningest coach in WSU history.

Again, your logic is very flawed.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Downtown Shocker Brown;n1282176]

How many coaches want to take over a Top 30 program, with a built roster, with top notch facilities and support, as well as a young roster in the running to win the AAC?

You are probably right, no one would want that job.

Wait, that means that iHCIB probably doesn’t want to follow fHCGM and will be leaving us! Who wants to follow that guy. He is the winningest coach in WSU history.

Again, your logic is very flawed. [/QUO

I guess I'm confused....what is the point you want to make?

Comment

Brown has experience recruiting AAC-level players for several years. Jans has experience recruiting MVC, OVC, and WAC players. He's been incredibly successful recruiting WAC winners. His first year was almost a complete turnover and rebuild. We know Jans can close the deal. We know Brown can set up the close for AAC-level players. We don't know if either Brown or Jans can close the deal on AAC-level players.
        You might call Ron Baker an “MVC player.”

I don’t.

78-65

Comment

• Who actually selects the coach? This board; DB; Koch, et al; the fans; the players? Who?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

You have absolutely no idea if this is the case.
            ABC you have to look at who you are communicating with.

You, I and many others on this board see a SoCon Head Coach (with all of the responsibilities at that low level) who was extremely successful who came to WSU, was the "RIGHT FIT", and built the program into a Top 40 program that could compete with any program in the nation. He won an NIT National Championship, then received an NCAA #5 Seed only a year or two later. He went on the build on that to going to the Final 4 (with a team who could have actually won the tournament), and then a 34 wins in a row and a National Seed of #1 in the Tournament. That was followed up with a Sweet 16 Finish a year or two later. This tenure included 330 wins, the best decade in Shocker history, and some more 20+ win seasons.

He was a "blue collar" coach who built the program on successful defense, rebounding, and efficient offense. He was the best coach in the storied history of Wichita State. He was little prickly from the beginning, and became more prickly as the years moved on. Now people want to cancel him from their memory, but that won't happen. Many want to new guy who has a great personality and everyone likes to move on with. He makes people happy because he is the opposite of what we knew. They don't want to see what is out there and what might be. They think that the program is on auto pilot and will continue to win into perpetuity.

Well, we made the home run hire in our baseball program. Maybe we can do it again.
            Last edited by Shockm; February 22, 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Not saying Brown is not doing a great job. But didn't he say something like he doesn't want to be headcoach in the beginning? He likes / prefers to be assistant coach. There was an article or interview a while back.
              Did he changed his mind?

Comment

• I'm not saying DB shouldn't look at and for other candidates. What I'm saying is that it's going to be hard to hire other candidates.

Turgeon came from a weak conference, but he was replacing a failed and fired coach. Marshall came from a lower conference. He was replacing a successful coach who had left the program.

This situation is different. A hire this time would be replacing a successful coach who has not left the program or been terminated. The season that IB has with the Shox completely changes the hiring situation.

From DB's point of view, Brown is not a risky move. Replacing Brown has some risk. I don't think DB is much of a risk taker. Offering Wedge is an absolute no-risk move. If there was a wildly popular former Shocker who had been an NBA CoY who was in his 50's and not actively coaching, offering that guy would be a no-risk move.

DB is not in a career situation where risk-taking is a good idea. He has to interview any decent candidates and he has to make some offers to no-brainer candidates who are unlikely to take the job. Once he's done that the choices with the least career risk are Brown and Jans.

If it's true that DB has issues with Jans, DB can point to Jans' results this year as his cover for not hiring Jans. Through SN, I have learned that Jans didn't really have a chance to succeed this year. Out of 10,500 paying fans, probably 10,000 do not know the situation and will just look at the W/L record.

Keeping Brown is less of a risk than hiring Jans. Changing coaches after a year when eligibility doesn't count and transfers don't have to sit out takes a risk that players will leave the program. If a coaching change is made and 6 or 7 players leave the program, there will be hell to pay, and DB probably knows that.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• How can you say replacing IB is a risky move without having any freaking idea who the candidates might be?

Comment

How can you say replacing IB is a risky move without having any freaking idea who the candidates might be?
                    Just in case you posted without reading or comprehending, I'll quote myself as the answer to your question

Changing coaches after a year when eligibility doesn't count and transfers don't have to sit out takes a risk that players will leave the program.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      Who actually selects the coach? This board; DB; Koch, et al; the fans; the players? Who?
                      Actually, it's me. Just so you know.

Comment

I'm confident that Charles Koch wants a good product, resulting in a good image for his brand. He wants the name of the arena mentioned on TV with a winner inside the building. Charles Koch didn't become one of the wealthiest men in the nation by spending more than is necessary. He's not going to hand Boatright a blank, signed check and tell Boatright to go shopping.

If Koch is going to finance a coach, Koch is going to require everything but a DNA test, and he might want that, too. Koch funding a new coach should probably be put right up there with hiring Beilein or Matta. Possible, but highly unlikely. Koch may pitch in a bit to help out if he's convinced it's the right move.
                        As mentioned, a supportive Shocker fan and probably a good guy.
                        But senility takes a toll on the elderly (see Joey B) and apparently is rearing its head in this case.
                        I know you admire IB's job this season and he has done well. But he's had a LOT of help. LG and BK have been extremely helpful in the process.

However, discounting CJ's work @ NMSU (and prior) indicates a very short sighted outlook and one that is frankly, incompetent.
                        The labeling of Baker as "MVC player" erodes any credibility you may have had. That was just plain silly.

I can assure you this - the decision has NOT been made. They are a number of factors and persons who will be factors involved in the final decision.
                        Stay tuned.

That is all.
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Actually, it's me. Just so you know.
                          You, and apparently two others on here with inside information.....:)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

As mentioned, a supportive Shocker fan and probably a good guy.
                            But senility takes a toll on the elderly (see Joey B) and apparently is rearing its head in this case.
                            I know you admire IB's job this season and he has done well. But he's had a LOT of help. LG and BK have been extremely helpful in the process.

However, discounting CJ's work @ NMSU (and prior) indicates a very short sighted outlook and one that is frankly, incompetent.
                            The labeling of Baker as "MVC player" erodes any credibility you may have had. That was just plain silly.

I can assure you this - the decision has NOT been made. They are a number of factors and persons who will be factors involved in the final decision.
                            Stay tuned.

That is all.
                            Nor should it be yet, in my opinion.

Isaac Brown and staff deserve a ton of credit this year and I don’t think that the fact that Lou Gudino and Billy Kennedy have helped Coach Brown should be that big of a knock on him. After all, that’s part of why assistant coaches are there, to assist the head coach.

I assume he does but don’t know for sure if Gudino has a desire to be a head coach so maybe he gets an opportunity next year to make that leap. Maybe he doesn’t want to be a head coach or maybe the right opportunity doesn’t open up and he comes back. It wouldn’t surprise me if Kennedy returned either. Point is, I could see both coming back at least another year while Brown continues to learn the ropes if he does become the full time head coach.

There is this almost breathless desire by some in the media to make Isaac Brown the head coach immediately. I’m not disqualifying him by any means, I think he should be heavily considered, but I think a more measured approach, not overreacting to one game or even 17 games, is warranted.

Comment

How can you say replacing IB is a risky move without having any freaking idea who the candidates might be?
                              Well, the other candidates are going to have years of head coaching experience, that's a safe bet

Comment

• After this year, IHCIB will have head coaching interviews elsewhere and probably Lou will also.

Comment

Working...
                                X