No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am very pleased with HCIB at the helm. His resume to date is just as worthy of my other favored candidate who plays the likes of those listed below by conference standings. Honestly, I am glad the discussion over for the foreseeable future. Go Shocks!

UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros
    2-0
    9-4

Grand Canyon Antelopes
    7-1
    13-4

Utah Valley Wolverines
    6-3
    8-9

California Baptist Lancers
    5-5
    11-8

Seattle Redhawks
    2-3
    9-8

New Mexico State Aggies
    3-5
    6-6

Dixie St. Trailblazers
    4-8
    8-11

Tarleton St. Texans
    2-6
    7-9

Chicago State Cougars
    0-0
    0-9
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• ...and recruiting just got a lot easier!!! 5 year contract, 1st place in the American (right now)... and the first black head coach EVER in the state of Kansas Division I basketball!!! Wichita St. raising the bar!!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        ...and recruiting just got a lot easier!!! 5 year contract, 1st place in the American (right now)... and the first black head coach EVER in the state of Kansas Division I basketball!!! Wichita St. raising the bar!!!!!

Spare me that.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
          [/b]

Spare me that.
          Brown is having a better season than 2 of Marshall's AAC seasons

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Comparing those two coaches isn’t a good idea. HCIB has 500 wins to go to catch up. It doesn’t benefit IB to do that. Allow him some success, no, a lot of success first. Now that he’s our coach, you’re doing him a disservice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Comparing those two coaches isn’t a good idea. HCIB has 500 wins to go to catch up. It doesn’t benefit IB to do that. Allow him some success, no, a lot of success first. Now that he’s our coach, you’re doing him a disservice.
              A little over 400 of those wins came in the Big South and the MVC. Who's the available coach with that kind of a record in those types of leagues? I'll wait patiently for your answer. Who's the available coach in the top 1/3 of the top 9 or 10 conferences who's available? I'll wait patiently for your answer.

This will be Brown's 4th year recruiting at a level to compete in the AAC. Who's the available coach with that recruiting background and connections who's winning games? I'll wait patiently for your answer.

Some SN'ers be like a good-looking physically fit guy who the hot girl next door is madly in love with, but he ignores her because he's certain that any day now Miss America is going to fall in love with him and actually be a caring wife instead of a high maintenance be-atch.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

A little over 400 of those wins came in the Big South and the MVC.
                Losing argument Aargh. I don’t care where his wins came from.
                -He’s been ranked a Top 50 Coach all time,
                -a Top 10-15 Coach currently, and
                -The best Coach in Shocker history.

You said IB was a better candidate than Jans, and I won’t go there with you, but you don’t want to go here, at all.
                It invites the senile comments.

Comment

I mean, I think the most casual observer could connect the dots at this point and understand that Wichita State University made the decision to move to the American, Gregg Marshall did not.. He did look like he was completely out of ideas at times as far how to handle the American

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                    [/b]

Spare me that.
                    Which part are you needing to be spared from ? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

A little over 400 of those wins came in the Big South and the MVC. Who's the available coach with that kind of a record in those types of leagues? I'll wait patiently for your answer. Who's the available coach in the top 1/3 of the top 9 or 10 conferences who's available? I'll wait patiently for your answer.

This will be Brown's 4th year recruiting at a level to compete in the AAC. Who's the available coach with that recruiting background and connections who's winning games? I'll wait patiently for your answer.

Some SN'ers be like a good-looking physically fit guy who the hot girl next door is madly in love with, but he ignores her because he's certain that any day now Miss America is going to fall in love with him and actually be a caring wife instead of a high maintenance be-atch.
                      Why did you fail to tear down Marshall before this year?

Some of you people are real doppelgängers.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Losing argument Aargh. I don’t care where his wins came from.
                        -He’s been ranked a Top 50 Coach all time,
                        -a Top 10-15 Coach currently, and
                        -The best Coach in Shocker history.

You said IB was a better candidate than Jans, and I won’t go there with you, but you don’t want to go here, at all.
                        It invites the senile comments.
                        Marshall is gone. He's not coming back. He was losing 3 to 6 players to transfers every year. All those transfers were likely pretty free to say how practices went with Marshall. That's a lot of schools and a lot of coaches who knew how to recruit against Marshall. Sooner or later that was going to bite Marshall if it hadn't already. There isn't another "Marshall" out there to be hired, so comparing potential hires to Marshall is a demonstration of a serious lack of understanding.

You don't care where the wins come from? Wins against Radford, Campbell, and Longwood should count the same as wins against Houston, Cincinnati, and Tulsa? I'd a lot sooner be senile than stupid. Both last a lifetime, but that's a lot shorter time with senile.

IB became a better candidate than Jans when word came out that there were issues between DB and Jans. That made it less likely that Jans would get a call from Boatright, and if he got that call he might be less likely to talk to Boatright.

Brown is the coach. Get used to it. Support him instead of constantly disrespecting him.

It's like there was an potential AA on the court who got hurt and a Fr taking a redshirt had to be activated. Then the Fr did as well as the potential AA had done and was criticized for the mere fact that the Fr wasn't the guy who got hurt. Forget everything the new guy did. None of it matters because he's not the other guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Why did you fail to tear down Marshall before this year?

Some of you people are real doppelgängers.
                          I recall getting my backside ripped when I mentioned holes in recruiting classes, the class imbalance the first year in the AAC - resulting in the Fr class from hell (Stevenson, Burton, etc.) that blew up - in a bad way.

I've mentioned several times the lack of recruiting an actual PG since FVV came along. That got me chastised by many out here.

Marshall did an outstanding job when he was here. He wasn't perfect and he had some weaknesses that some refused to see because they viewed him as perfect, and he wasn't. I'm certain he lost some recruits because they didn't want to play for a coach with his reputation - and you can be certain his reputation was known around coaching circles.

Some of Marshall's weaknesses were under his control and eventually became the reason he and WSU parted ways. Eldridge said that the reason Reaves left the program wasn't the reason we all thought it was. Reaves didn't leave for lack of PT. Reaves was a religious kid from rural Arkansas who may have been offended by some of Marshall's "colorful" language.

Part of Marshall's style and his success was that he pi$$ed players off and then they bonded together because of it. Eventually he did that to one too many and the wrong one.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post

I mean, I think the most casual observer could connect the dots at this point and understand that Wichita State University made the decision to move to the American, Gregg Marshall did not.. He did look like he was completely out of ideas at times as far how to handle the American
                            Marshall is a competitor. Saying he'd want to stay in the Valley and continue beat down the same competition year in and year out goes against his being.

Marshall, and WSU, had some bad luck and bad decisions that lead to a couple middling seasons in the AAC:
                            - The mass exodus in 2017-2018
                            - A couple recruiting wiffs in the 2018-2019 class

Even with all that turnover and turmoil, the Shox made it to NYC in the NIT and were trying to fight their way into the Tourney (pre-COVID).

We all know what happened this offseason. As of now, it appears the damage control Marshall, and his ACs, did with the roster has worked out fairly well.

Marshall would have had plenty of more success and winning seasons to come if he was still HC.

Having said all that, I hope HCIB learned all he could from his years siting couple chairs away from the greatest coach in program history and that he will continue on with the great basketball tradition at Wichita State.
                            The Assman

Comment

Something can be factually true and yet so out of context when stated that it deserves ridicule. The above is a perfect example of that as it was when people were lamenting that Jans was only 6-6 this year. Again, very happy for IB....but comparing him to FHCGM over a 20 year coaching career is not really an argument you want to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post

What in the actual **** are you talking about? You must be a casual observer to make a comment like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X