Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Something can be factually true and yet so out of context when stated that it deserves ridicule. The above is a perfect example of that as it was when people were lamenting that Jans was only 6-6 this year. Again, very happy for IB....but comparing him to FHCGM over a 20 year coaching career is not really an argument you want to start.

Thank you for being a thoughtful poster capable of combatting the complete nonsense found on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Wait .. did we really have an article come out this morning with a quote from Boatright from YESTERDAY saying he wouldn't make a decision until end of the season ... only to give him the job today?
      That tells me that Somebody took the decision out of Boatright hands. Boatright days are numbered. I would assume once a new President is hired (if DB hasn’t already left), he will be replaced.

Comment

• Aargh

What is HCIB career coaching record in the Big South?

What is HCIB career coaching record in the MVC?

You mention calling out holes in recruiting classes, what is the average number of recruits each year for HCIB while an assistant at Wichita State?

How many years does the average HCIB recruit stay at Wichita State?

A couple answers:

Reaves: You have ZERO idea why Austin left. Just stop with that bullshit. It exposes all your other fake arguments.

As far as pissing off the wrong player, did he? I don’t think so. Kudos to him to recognizing a mistake and working to fix it. Unlike many coaches (Lawrence) who ride or die with recruits.

I can think of NUMEROUS players who thrived under Marshall while feeling like they were being called out. Most are playing professionally making damn good money playing a sport they love. Will they send fHCGM Christmas Cards? No. But they do acknowledge what he taught them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That tells me that Somebody took the decision out of Boatright hands. Boatright days are numbered. I would assume once a new President is hired (if DB hasn’t already left), he will be replaced.
          Hate to defend ADDB, it he never said “end of season”. Read the quotes. Listen to audio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post

Which part are you needing to be spared from ? Inquiring minds would like to know.
            The part I bolded. Race should have no bearing on the hire. It’s great that he is the first black head basketball coach in Kansas but race is a very unlikely reason for that in the last 50 years.
            And spare me because grading a hire based on the color of the skin of the person hired is some racist bullshit.

I may not like the choice but it’s not because of the color of his ****ing skin. You can take that idea and shove it. I don’t like the hire because IB is playing with a stacked deck and a pat hand and has only proven that he won’t get in the players way when the game on the line. I am critical of his hire the same way I was critical of John Brannen’s hire. This is a mid major move, plain and simple.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              The part I bolded. Race should have no bearing on the hire. It’s great that he is the first black head basketball coach in Kansas but race is a very unlikely reason for that in the last 50 years.
              Exactly.

Originally posted by shock View Post
              And spare me because grading a hire based on the color of the skin of the person hired is some racist bullshit.
              Highly doubt Wichita St. hired him because of his skin color. Seems they hired him based on character, merit, and ability to coach!!! He's perfect for the job in my opinion!!!

Originally posted by shock View Post
              I may not like the choice but it’s not because of the color of his ****ing skin. You can take that idea and shove it. I don’t like the hire because IB is playing with a stacked deck and a pat hand and has only proven that he won’t get in the players way when the game on the line. I am critical of his hire the same way I was critical of John Brannen’s hire. This is a mid major move, plain and simple.
              Time will tell...but off to an outstanding start!!! 1st place (thus far) and in tournament talk!!!

Go Shocks!!!
              Last edited by AZ Shocker; February 27, 2021, 01:15 AM.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                Race should have no bearing on the hire.
                I really don't know if this hire will prove to be a good one or not. I got my crystal ball from Wal-Mart. I do think HCIB has earned an opportunity to prove his worth.

However, while I understand the above sentitment and while that is perhaps the way the way the world should be, I do think in men's college basketball that race is a consideration when hiring a coach. It shouldn't be the only consideration or even the main conideration but I think it has to be on the list somewhere.

Wichita State has 13 scholarship players. All 13 of those players are black players. The reason for that is not based on race but based on ability to play the game. Having a Coach, that otherwise checks off the more important attributes and requirements for the job, that looks like your players and has shared some of the same cultural and life experiences as your players and the majority of young men he will be recruiting to join the program is certainly something to consider again assuming the candidate is otherwise qualified and checks the most important boxes. Not sure that HCIB checks all of the more important boxes but I think he checks a lot of them and if his race and life experiences alllow him to better relate and understand the super majority of those that he will be coaching and mentoring then yes that is just one of many boxes he checks.

How big of a consideration was race in this particular hire. Who knows. I am confident it wasn't among the primary considerations but I would be surprised if it was not of some consideration
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Marshall is gone. He's not coming back. He was losing 3 to 6 players to transfers every year. All those transfers were likely pretty free to say how practices went with Marshall. That's a lot of schools and a lot of coaches who knew how to recruit against Marshall. Sooner or later that was going to bite Marshall if it hadn't already. There isn't another "Marshall" out there to be hired, so comparing potential hires to Marshall is a demonstration of a serious lack of understanding.

You don't care where the wins come from? Wins against Radford, Campbell, and Longwood should count the same as wins against Houston, Cincinnati, and Tulsa? I'd a lot sooner be senile than stupid. Both last a lifetime, but that's a lot shorter time with senile.

IB became a better candidate than Jans when word came out that there were issues between DB and Jans. That made it less likely that Jans would get a call from Boatright, and if he got that call he might be less likely to talk to Boatright.

Brown is the coach. Get used to it. Support him instead of constantly disrespecting him.

It's like there was an potential AA on the court who got hurt and a Fr taking a redshirt had to be activated. Then the Fr did as well as the potential AA had done and was criticized for the mere fact that the Fr wasn't the guy who got hurt. Forget everything the new guy did. None of it matters because he's not the other guy.

"Marshall is gone. He's not coming back."

He will be back when they have the ceremony to hang his picture in the rafters beside Ralph Miller. Then he will torment you every time you attend a game.

Comment

• I think it might be good to start thinking about an assistant coach. I think Kennedy will leave and I would like to see WSU bring in a coach that can work with the big guys. I think our bigs have struggled to develop and a coach that has played inside might help. Your thoughts?

Comment

• I think Kennedy will leave and HCIB will hire a replacement

Comment

• All other things being at or near equal, race is a legitimate factor when 80-90% of the players in your league are black. Relatability is an intangible that has to be considered. However, when then media gripes that there are not enough black coaches, they insinuate that they are excluded because of racism and should be picked primarily because of their skin color. This is short sighted because of the true lack of qualified candidates. Also, picking a individual based on their skin color only is insulting to that race. It’s like picking a white guy to play in the NBA solely because of his race and the fact a large part of the fan base is white.

IB put himself in this position because of his success, time under some great coaches and his ability to show crisis leadership skills. Continuity, relatability and race were intangibles that wouldn’t have mattered had we “pooped the bed” the first 17 games of the season.
                        Last edited by shoxlax; February 27, 2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                          I think it might be good to start thinking about an assistant coach. I think Kennedy will leave and I would like to see WSU bring in a coach that can work with the big guys. I think our bigs have struggled to develop and a coach that has played inside might help. Your thoughts?
                          Hard to say Mo hasn’t developed. A lot of that is thanks to his hard work in the off season but I’ve also seen improvement over the course of this season.

Kennedy leaving seems to be a consensus but I’m not so sure. At 57 he’s young enough to take another head coaching job if he wants. He also has some health issues and it’s possible he can get his coaching fix while not bearing the complete responsibility of running an entire program.

My hope is that they can keep the coaching staff in place at least one more year but it wouldn’t surprise me if Gudino or Kennedy takes a HC job somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Hard to say Mo hasn’t developed. A lot of that is thanks to his hard work in the off season but I’ve also seen improvement over the course of this season.

Kennedy leaving seems to be a consensus but I’m not so sure. At 57 he’s young enough to take another head coaching job if he wants. He also has some health issues and it’s possible he can get his coaching fix while not bearing the complete responsibility of running an entire program.

My hope is that they can keep the coaching staff in place at least one more year but it wouldn’t surprise me if Gudino or Kennedy takes a HC job somewhere.
                            Gudino could just as easily be in IBs shoes.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Fair or nor, I only judge Mo's development on his rebounding, and he should be rebounding more than 3 rebounds a game. He should be in the 6 rebound category imo.

Comment

• I think that this year's success is a credit to IB and to the entire coaching staff. All of the Assistant Coaches seemed to be on board for to help the team succeed. That is a testimony to Brown, but also it indicates that the other coaches were all in, pulling together, and no one was trying to lift themselves up, while tearing each other down worrying about getting their next job or jealous of IB for his new position.

Comment

Working...
                                X