No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thad Matta is the PERFECT stop the bleeding coach.
    The Assman

Comment

• Matta was mentioned as a possible hire for the Wake Forest job earlier this year, and back in 2018, he was approached by Pitt, Ole Miss, and Georgia. He reportedly turned down a 5 year / $16 million offer (around 3.2 million per year) from Georgia. He gave an interview a couple years ago - https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...lumbus_on.html - and it mentions "The year off seems to have done Matta well, health-wise. He looked rejuvenated, the limp left over from his botched back surgery years ago seemed less dramatic."
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        Double hell no to Thad Matta and a triple hell no to Barry Hinson. I would think the shocks could hire someone other than an old broken down health ridden coach like Thad Matta that has not coached in 5 years and so called good guy Barry Hinson that has shown that he is a loser and loves to get on his knees and suck Self little nub.
        While I agree with the Hinson take (minus the colorful flourish at the end) I don’t think we’re on the same page re: Matta.

53 is not that old. Yes, his health was bad when he and OSU parted ways and that should be taken into consideration but Steve Kerr struggled with some debilitating back issues for a while too and he seems to have put those behind him.

Matta has a pretty impressive track record during his 13 years at OSU. 5 Big Ten reg season titles, 4 conf tourney titles, 2 final fours, NIT championship, only one season with < 20 wins (his final season), NCAA tourney 9/12 years.

I think if we want to get someone in immediately he would be a solid hire with some potential if he’s healthy. Maybe a really good hire, I don’t know.

Comment

• I'd be totally on board with Thad Matta. I mean, tough gig for a coach to take over 3 weeks before the season starts but might as well jump in when this season is gonna be a little wacky anyways. The important thing is that coaching candidates know the Wichita State job is a high caliber job - top 15 compensation, undying fan support, winning tradition, and a nationally recognizable brand.

While I would take Matta, I'm caught between quickly sticking a band-aid on the situation or biding our time to find someone for the long haul. If Matta is in for 5+ years, sign me up. And hopefully his health permits him to do so.

Comment

• Thad Matta would be a great hire for the program. If his health issues are still lingering it might help that recruiting will likely be virtual for the time being so he wouldn't have to travel as much.

Comment

• Even if Marshall gave his blessing, Jans is already in a good place at New Mexico state. If he sticks around long enough and keeps his nose clean, he could be an all time winning coach there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                Matta was mentioned as a possible hire for the Wake Forest job earlier this year, and back in 2018, he was approached by Pitt, Ole Miss, and Georgia. He reportedly turned down a 5 year / $16 million offer (around 3.2 million per year) from Georgia. He gave an interview a couple years ago - https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...lumbus_on.html - and it mentions "The year off seems to have done Matta well, health-wise. He looked rejuvenated, the limp left over from his botched back surgery years ago seemed less dramatic."
                Ran across another 2018 article on Matta - https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0..._candidat.html - and this part is interesting:

"The Columbus Dispatch reported that Ohio State's board of trustees in February approved a buyout of $9,001,096.86. That included a lump sum payment of $4.3 million in December, and monthly payments totaling more than $100,000 through June 2020, plus medical benefits."

So if there is a job opening, it may be attractive to Matta just because as of July 1 he no longer has a steady paycheck or medical benefits from Ohio State.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                  Thad Matta would be a great hire for the program. If his health issues are still lingering it might help that recruiting will likely be virtual for the time being so he wouldn't have to travel as much.
                  It could also be a great test. Matta coaches this year and if his health holds up he continues and if not , he is made AD and hires his replacement.
                  could he get started that quick? WSU being a state college is required to post an opening for a period of time before making a hire, I believe.

Comment

• I think he's off though on the "Players sell tickets. Not coaches" part. IMO winning sells tickets and that happens because of good players and good coaching, not just one of them.

Comment

• Comment

• So do we have any inkling of any possible names, beyond "guys I like"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Hmmm don’t know much about him. Not sure if we hire someone from the NBA though.

Comment

• Wonder if FVV would endorse him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

Hmmm don’t know much about him. Not sure if we hire someone from the NBA though.
                              I don't know. They hired Wedge from the pros.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I don't know. They hired Wedge from the pros.
                                Wedge had also made a name for himself in the pros as the head guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X