Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I met Mike's son one year at the Valley tournament; he seemed like a super nice guy and I'm sure his son is a chip off the old block. Of course Mike senior (our former coach) was also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Now back to your regular programming.
    yes, we go every year along with a few other guys from college. The younger brother played at ECU, both boys went there after Mike got fired. Mike lives in Florida and still wears his WSU ring I’m told.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Nit pick. I agreed with the huts rebounding criticism. You like IB but he’s unproven with one great win and one great rebounding effort when he’s been harping all year that Shox need to get better at rebounding. Houston game finally showed the effort he should have been demanding all year. You criticize Haith and Jankovich but never Isaac Brown.
      Ok, I'm NOT done.....:)
      It's not that I think the Shockers have been flawless with IB....not at all....rebounding HAS been a big issue, but in fairness to him, HE DID NOT INHERIT ANY GREAT REBOUNDERS. Now I agree that MUCH of rebounding IS about effort and focus, but not all.....our frontline is underexperienced experience ( Mo,Poor Bear), outsized(Trey), raw(Monzie) and our guards do other things better than rebound...but the main reason I don't criticize him overall much is that except for Memphis, WSU has been in EVERY game with no All Americans, against some teams WITH All American types...they play hard, they play together, they play calm...they don't quit, as evidenced by THURSDAY...at 20- 9, I HAD QUIT....but not them...part of that is a coaching relationship. Is he the guy?Don't know for sure...we won't know unless he gets the job.....and if he does not get the job, I would be stunned if this good, YOUNG group all comes back....

As to my critique of Haith and Jank (you forgot Penny as a 'coach', not recruiter)...seriously...if THEY were available, would you want them over IB??? Not me in a hundred years...but that's what's great about America(well, USED to be)...everyone gets an opinion...:)

And since we are NOT at practice, we DON'T know he isn't harping on it.....did Gregg harp on things that were not easily fixed? Of course....

Hey, have a great day...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        This was a terrible loss to a team who has been bad a lot. I’m still not anti-Brown, but it would appear that we need to win the League Tournament (If we have one) to have a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament. Now, for those on here who’ve been pushing for IB to be named the American COY, given a Head Coach contract, and all the while berating those of us who’ve said SLOW DOWN, you need to take a deep breath and calm down. Let’s see if he can recover. from this and wait until the year is over before we “crown” our new coach.
        Yeah.. it's still the same. Just like we said after the Tulsa game, way back when. You don't know the track record of HCGM assisants after they leave and take on a program of their own. Win at Tulsa kind of confirmed it, long ago.. where were you at?

really nice to see Houston get punched right back in their punk Kelvin Sampson mouths. Next one is the KO he's been begging for.. jab, jab, .. right cross. Just about the punkest team I've ever seen, Houston. Remember that last clothseline from that guy? No wonder the Shockers had to wave them off and laugh at them.

Comment

• So looking beyond Belein - Matta and Jans. What if a top 30 type coach expresses interest in WSU who has a record of winning and recruiting ?

Do you still hire IHCIB ?

I think we are past hiring a coach from a lower level. We found magic in a bottle with GGG. That doesn't always happen

I don't want to turn into a stepping stone again.

I would bet that the coach that we hire is currently coaching.

I'm not against IB - he's done a great job ! I just want the best coach we can get

No on Porter or any other MVC coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
            So looking beyond Belein - Matta and Jans. What if a top 30 type coach expresses interest in WSU who has a record of winning and recruiting ?

I think we are past hiring a coach from a lower level. We found magic in a bottle with GGG. That doesn't always happen

I'm not against IB - he's done a great job ! I just want the best coach we can get

Agree on that caveat... if the AD KNEW of an existing very good established coach that changes things...

no one from the Valley

Comment

So looking beyond Belein - Matta and Jans. What if a top 30 type coach expresses interest in WSU who has a record of winning and recruiting ?

Hell no you don't hire them. Top 30? What a joke. Hire somebody that doesn't appreciate Shocker history? Top 30 , gone after 3 years?

Listen.. WSU was picked 7th preseason. Isaac Brown just might be the NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR (how's that grab 'ya).. never mind AAC COY (which he will be, like we said).

Hey, guess what, brainiac..? Wichita State is in 1st place in the AAC.

Comment

Porter has a very good team this year and is getting better recruits. I don’t think he will leave Loyola except maybe for Creighton or possibly DePaul. He is from Chicago I believe and I have read that he likes living in that area. I bet he got a great increase in salary after their final four year. He is a good coach and their team has certainly been at the top of the MVC since we left. They have several players that could play for us.

Comment

• Thinking of Porter Mosher as our coach over IB makes me want to drown in a bottle of booze. I think a dentist appointment would lift my skirt more. Zero excitement for that.

I can't imagine the disappointment in the eyes of Etienne and the team telling them that he will be their coach.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

A retread coach on his 4th or 5th stint. Great.

No thanks. It's IB for me. I'd be ok with Jans because he has WSU blood and would treat the job as such.

I'm still down with Adrian Griffin too, but don't think it would be fair to IB if we were to hire him before giving IB a another year or 2.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Porter Moser? Lol
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      Thinking of Porter Mosher as our coach over IB makes me want to drown in a bottle of booze. I think a dentist appointment would lift my skirt more. Zero excitement for that.

I can't imagine the disappointment in the eyes of Etienne and the team telling them that he will be their coach.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

A retread coach on his 4th or 5th stint. Great.

No thanks. It's IB for me. I'd be ok with Jans because he has WSU blood and would treat the job as such.

I'm still down with Adrian Griffin too, but don't think it would be fair to IB if we were to hire him before giving IB a another year or 2.
                      I don’t want him either but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t do the job. I think we need to give IB the job. He could very well be the conference coach of the year. Imagine the optics if we didn’t make him the coach then.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

I don’t want him either but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t do the job. I think we need to give IB the job. He could very well be the conference coach of the year. Imagine the optics if we didn’t make him the coach then.
                        No way.. you can't believe Brown should be coach of the year in the AAC. Not you. C'mon, now.. don't you think it should be Sampson? Fess up..

As if it's even a question by now.

Comment

• I am not for waiting too long because of recruiting. But can you imagine the ridicule, and you can bet there will be plenty of it, from friends and foe alike, that our BB program will take for decades, if we sell out Coach Brown, and he wins Coach of the Year? You want to talk about hurting recruiting? We will be staring it right in the face and just try and defend that with feeble excuses.

This might even make Ripley's, Believe It or Not, if there still is one? Or at least every Comedian's Joke List.

I would not blame any of our players for honoring Coach Brown and leaving with him.

Comment

• Kelvin Sampson is thought to be the best coach in the AAC. I believe he got outcoached by an interim coach a couple days ago.

Out of curiosity, I checked Matta's "health issue". He's got drop foot. That means he is unable to raise the front part of his foot. I didn't find whether one or both feet are affected. When he picks his leg up his his foot just flops with his toes pointing at the floor.

I had a close friend who had that after a motorcycle accident. The easiest way for him to walk was a brace on his lower leg and foot that held his foot at a constant right angle to his leg. The inability to move the foot when walking made his walking slow, uncomfortable, and he had a pronounced limp.

In the last year Matta coached, an assistant put a barstool at half court on the sidelines and Matta limped to that barstool and stayed on it through the entire practice. I expect he's permanently out of coaching.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Porter is a Creighton Alumn, I’d rather hire Dan Muller than a Creighton guy.

Comment

• Porters name is on the list, right after “shockernet coaching by committee”.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X