Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 GTFOOH!

Comment

• I think this might spur GM to coach a little longer than he wanted. To go out on his terms and not like this.
      The Assman

Comment

• Surely this will not keep him out of the Shocker Sports HOF. Hard to believe it would but in this cancel culture era who knows. What will be the impact on having a banner in the Koch Arena rafters as well. Hopefully, the passage of time will calm the waters.

Can you imagine the reception 3G would get when inducted into the Shocker HOF. Might have to hold that ceremony at an IBA game.

Comment

• I probably should post this in the Around the NCAA forum instead, but if you think this situation is political, the stuff going on with Iowa football is a whole different level - https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...on/6282535002/ In fact it'll probably push WSU off the news in some places. Of course, it'll probably be mentioned in the same breath as WSU in some articles about what has happened in 2020, but it takes the cake.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I made the mistake of going on Twitter....

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID me....

But apparently, UCONN or WSU or someone is racist because GM is getting money, or something.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              When 5 players confirm to Eldridge that Marshall hit (one way or another) Morris and 8 confirm to Eldridge that Marshall had his hands on Linsted's throat, I don't think there's much reason to need to see the report. So far *******'s report from what the players told him and Eldridge's report from what the players told him are consistent. ******* is anti-WSU and anti-Marshall, but Eldridge is not.

Throw in Baker's "when that stuff was happening", and there's not much left to know that could be in the report, unless there's some desire to see the players named, which wouldn't do any good at any level.
              Funny how a story that was supposed to be about racism and abuse of the players transferring THIS year has been hijacked to 5-6 year old recollections.

I guess the Stevenson’s got overshadowed. (Which is the most hilarious part of this “story”..)

Throw enough poo on the wall, with no way to prove anything either way.

Gregg Marshsll had to fight public opinion instead of actually weighing evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That's fair.

To answer your question directly, IF the allegations were true, then clearly the student athletes benefit from this perceived shift and "political correctness". We may never know if the allegations were true, at least publicly. I'm sure we agree that is unfortunate for everyone involved.

Assuming they are true and we indeed had a coach who punched a player and strangled an assistant, I fail to see how holding him accountable for his actions is political correctness or left leaning. Just as much as cancel culture is a problem in this country, so is a lack of personal responsibility. Some are so quick to blame others for their own faults. These are almost competing ideals in our current culture war.

Maybe you know the truth. Maybe you were there at those practices. And I'm being serious--it's clear you have access and information most of us don't. So if you do know the truth and there's nothing to the allegations, you have every right to condemn political correctness.

Absent the truth, however, I fail to see the relevance of this topic of discussion as it pertains to the investigation and this thread.

All I know of this whole situation is that today is a sad day for university, the basketball program, and Gregg Marshall. I know we agree on that.
                I was speaking more generally than men's basketball, but let's address that for a minute. I was not at that practice, although I've been to many. I have enough first hand information regarding the ACKL incident to discard it from the discussion. It was 2 adults, it was not a big deal between 2 adults. Move on. IDGAF who is outraged by it.

Something happened. We can debate the details, but what concerns me is why it can't be fixed. Can we agree that if this was brought and dealt with 5+ years ago that the outcome is most likely different? I just don't agree with applying today's vision with yesterday's history I guess AND I disagree with what appears to be a cancel culture where almost any mistake among the powerful or wealthy is dealt with harshly while with others it's more of a pass. And I get that with more power, money etc comes more responsibility....I get that. Gregg should be held to a higher standard and he should be someone we look to for positives. I've said more than once that I don't want to trash the student athletes, and I'm not going to.....but does anyone think they haven't done worse?

If (and I'm TOTALLY making this up so don't read anything into it) Evan Wessel got into a fist fight with Cle and both guys bloodied each other and a team brawl ensued until the coaches broke it up, should they all have been (or if it happened yesterday) dismissed?

Is Gregg a tough SOB? You BET he is. Did he get out of line? I think little doubt exists that he did but it was extremely rare to say the least and not a big enough deal to warrant complaints at the time. And I also believe that the good FAR outweighs the bad. I just don't understand why we can't fix things more often than we do.....ESPECIALLY when the offended have little or nothing to do with the situation.

I guess here's my point. If all the current team members leave the program in the next however many years, and their success on the court is say 30% below what Gregg averaged (likely) and they aren't as prepared for life beyond WSU (again, just my opinion, but likely) but they "feel better" about their time here....is that a "win"?

Comment

• I'm sorry, but did you just say "almost any mistake among the powerful or wealthy is dealt with harshly while others get a pass? "That's literally the opposite of true. If an assistant did what coach is accused of he would be out of here without 8 mill in his pocket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
                    Final Tidbit:

The big name who hated GM is Van Fleet. He said he would never donate a single cent to WSU until GM was gone. I do not know what the story is behind the hatred.
                    Any chance there was some love lost when Fred got listed on that report of college players taking money? Maybe they had a private conversation that didn't go well?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

If (and I'm TOTALLY making this up so don't read anything into it) Evan Wessel got into a fist fight with Cle and both guys bloodied each other and a team brawl ensued until the coaches broke it up, should they all have been (or if it happened yesterday) dismissed?

No, but... surely you aren't equivalating high school kids fighting on a playground to a teacher hitting one of the kids involved in the fight out of anger? Cause it kinda sounds that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Any chance there was some love lost when Fred got listed on that report of college players taking money? Maybe they had a private conversation that didn't go well?
                        From what I've heard, Fred was part of the group of players that sorta pushed GM to apologize to SM. So, probably some bad blood before that (if any).

Comment

• What we know now:

1) Gregg doesn't have to admit any wrongdoing and just walked away with an $8M golden parachute. He's in tremendous financial shape and does not have to ever work again. He once famously said, "how many hamburgers can a guy eat". The Marshall Family is the clear winner in all of this. They should send Shaq Morris a Christmas card this year.

And hey... if he does want to work again, his record is still cleaner than most and will get a great job.

We are morons.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                            What we know now:

1) Gregg doesn't have to admit any wrongdoing and just walked away with an $8M golden parachute. He's in tremendous financial shape and does not have to ever work again. He once famously said, "how many hamburgers can a guy eat". The Marshall Family is the clear winner in all of this. They should send Shaq Morris a Christmas card this year.

And hey... if he does want to work again, his record is still cleaner than most and will get a great job.

We are morons.
                            His record is cleaner than most? Is that why he resigned from a school that treated him like a god?

Comment

I was speaking more generally than men's basketball, but let's address that for a minute. I was not at that practice, although I've been to many. I have enough first hand information regarding the ACKL incident to discard it from the discussion. It was 2 adults, it was not a big deal between 2 adults. Move on. IDGAF who is outraged by it.

Something happened. We can debate the details, but what concerns me is why it can't be fixed. Can we agree that if this was brought and dealt with 5+ years ago that the outcome is most likely different? I just don't agree with applying today's vision with yesterday's history I guess AND I disagree with what appears to be a cancel culture where almost any mistake among the powerful or wealthy is dealt with harshly while with others it's more of a pass. And I get that with more power, money etc comes more responsibility....I get that. Gregg should be held to a higher standard and he should be someone we look to for positives. I've said more than once that I don't want to trash the student athletes, and I'm not going to.....but does anyone think they haven't done worse?

Is Gregg a tough SOB? You BET he is. Did he get out of line? I think little doubt exists that he did but it was extremely rare to say the least and not a big enough deal to warrant complaints at the time. And I also believe that the good FAR outweighs the bad. I just don't understand why we can't fix things more often than we do.....ESPECIALLY when the offended have little or nothing to do with the situation.

I guess here's my point. If all the current team members leave the program in the next however many years, and their success on the court is say 30% below what Gregg averaged (likely) and they aren't as prepared for life beyond WSU (again, just my opinion, but likely) but they "feel better" about their time here....is that a "win"?
                              Ultimately, then, the question is do the ends justify the means? Right? The answer is so subjective.

"Feeling better" isn't what this is all about. That Marshall has a harsh coaching style isn't a revelation to anyone. He wasn't under investigation just because he might have called someone names and insulted a player's girlfriend. He was under investigation because he might have hit a player and "put his hands around the neck" (my apologies to one poster for saying "strangled" earlier, because that's SO obviously and immeasurably different...) of an assistant. I'm having a hard time justifying that behavior--if it is true. It should be unacceptable. But what's happening is some folks are saying crap like, "well he's a tough coach and kids are soft and I'm sick of political correctness." Since when is not hitting someone politically correct? Am I a liberal now because I believe physical abuse is bad? What the hell man? What is happening to us and our society?

Focusing just on Shaq's situation, what I wish most is that he would have transferred or that Gregg forced him out before all of this happened. Clearly, the two pushed each other's buttons. It's debatable whether Shaq is better prepared for life after being coached by Gregg. Gregg himself sure the hell isn't better off after having coached Shaq. I feel awful for them both.

I too wish we could fix things more often. I wish we hadn't have lost our coach. But it's Gregg's fault he lost his job if he hit Shaq. And if he didn't, well then, you're right that he lost his job because of political correctness and cancel culture. But we just don't know.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

If the HCGM had come clean at the start, I think this could have went down differently.

My battalion commander in Korea told us when we came in country "Bad news doesn't get better with time, Own your mistakes and as long as you don't get somebody killed you can be forgiven".

Comment

Working...
                                X