Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Do the math and WSU came out really good with the buyout.

$7.75 ,mill over 6 years is $1.3 mill a year. The moment Marshall takes a job for at least that much, no more money from WSU.

Subtract $1.3 mill from $3.5 mill and that leaves $2.2 mill. That amount probably won't be there due to some upset donors, but that amount shouldn't be needed to hire a new coach either.

The big item in the settlement is stretching the money over 6 years instead of 3. The settlement is more favorable to WSU than it appears if you just look at the amount.
    It looks to me that both sides were well represented legally.

Comment

• Sterling Chapman is announcing his choice in the next few days. Wichita State is still in the running according to Taylor.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I suppose the writing was on the wall that this was coming but it is still a pill that is very hard to swallow.

It is really hard to know for sure where the fault lies with this fiasco but IMHO that fault can be spread around pretty broadly. Unfortunately, I also don't think we will ever find out all the details or ever see the report by the St. Louis law firm. We will be left to speculate and try to read the tea leaves and in between the lines.

Whether or not our athletic department can absorb this blow and remain viable at the level we have risen to remains to be seen. I think we can, but it will not be easy.

Hopefully, some lessons have been learned but maybe not. One thing I would like to see change although I don't know if the market place allows it is that coaching contracts become much more performance and incentive based and get rid of the break the bank buyout provisions like we had for both Todd Butler and Gregg Marshall or we need to get much better crystal balls.

Coach Marshall is in good shape and I have no doubt he and his family will be fine. Hopefully, the same can be said for Shocker athletics and Wichita State which also extends to the Wichita community at large.
        This contract was written (big money donors were the motivators behind the contract) to keep him here after Gregg had been offered 4.5 Million to leave. He would not have stayed for a contract based on incentives so at the time you idea wasn't realistic. Whether the donors would entertain a contract of this magnitude in the future is difficult to know.

Comment

• Seems like the biggest ones on Twitter complaining about the buyout - ******* and Norlander - are probably mainly mad their tweets last week not coming true makes them look like idiots. O'Neil is also complaining while at the same time trying to get people to read her pay-to-read article at the Athletic. CJ Moore hasn't said much - he probably figures he'll look stupid complaining about it as a KU grad if Self gets millions when he eventually leaves for paying players. Looks like most of the other "reporters" have moved on to other stuff already. Either that or they're too busy writing upcoming clickbait articles about Marshall.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This contract was written (big money donors were the motivators behind the contract) to keep him here after Gregg had been offered 4.5 Million to leave. He would not have stayed for a contract based on incentives so at the time you idea wasn't realistic. Whether the donors would entertain a contract of this magnitude in the future is difficult to know.
            As I said I don't know that the market place would allow such a thing. But they way things are can obviously lead to some bad outcomes.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I appreciate your compliment as much as I appreciate your condemnation, honestly.

My point wasn't so much to blame "the left", but I can see why it's interpreted that way, clearly.

To be more clear, it was to question what I believe to be a clear shift in approach and thinking, and whether or not (and yes, I am suggesting that this is not a group positive) it's beneficial to all, most, some, few or none.

And I don't think discussing whether or not that's the case is terribly controversial, but maybe it is.

The University, and athletics, as a whole, has trended to a more inclusive, all encompassing arena for some time now. And that trend was accelerated by the previous and recently transitioned President Golden, and I THINK it's to the detriment of not only the uniquely successful, but in fact to most if not all but a very few, and I'm curious if others see that as well.

I'm more than open to the fact that I'm wrong, and that's why I asked in another post for examples of who is benefiting from this trend.
              That's fair.

To answer your question directly, IF the allegations were true, then clearly the student athletes benefit from this perceived shift and "political correctness". We may never know if the allegations were true, at least publicly. I'm sure we agree that is unfortunate for everyone involved.

Assuming they are true and we indeed had a coach who punched a player and strangled an assistant, I fail to see how holding him accountable for his actions is political correctness or left leaning. Just as much as cancel culture is a problem in this country, so is a lack of personal responsibility. Some are so quick to blame others for their own faults. These are almost competing ideals in our current culture war.

Maybe you know the truth. Maybe you were there at those practices. And I'm being serious--it's clear you have access and information most of us don't. So if you do know the truth and there's nothing to the allegations, you have every right to condemn political correctness.

Absent the truth, however, I fail to see the relevance of this topic of discussion as it pertains to the investigation and this thread.

All I know of this whole situation is that today is a sad day for university, the basketball program, and Gregg Marshall. I know we agree on that.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                I think the partial buyout can signal several things; one, no one admits fault. Two, and probably just as important, is a non-disclosure piece that would prevent release of the full report. Don't know what is available under open disclosure laws, but Marshall blocking release for half the buyout makes sense. I bet he's employed next year, meaning WSU only pays 1/6th of the buyout.
                It it's anything like Butler's agreement, there will be a statement in it that the separation agreement will be made public if an open records request is made for it because the university is a public entity. Marshall will have 21 days as of the start of the separation date to return the agreement, and 7 days thereafter to revoke it if he wants, which means it could be up to 3-4 weeks before it's ever released via open records.
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                  Sterling Chapman is announcing his choice in the next few days. Wichita State is still in the running according to Taylor.
                  My guess is he is not choosing WSU. I just don't think he would commit to a interim coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That's fair.

To answer your question directly, IF the allegations were true, then clearly the student athletes benefit from this perceived shift and "political correctness". We may never know if the allegations were true, at least publicly. I'm sure we agree that is unfortunate for everyone involved.

Assuming they are true and we indeed had a coach who punched a player and strangled an assistant, I fail to see how holding him accountable for his actions is political correctness or left leaning. Just as much as cancel culture is a problem in this country, so is a lack of personal responsibility. Some are so quick to blame others for their own faults. These are almost competing ideals in our current culture war.

Maybe you know the truth. Maybe you were there at those practices. And I'm being serious--it's clear you have access and information most of us don't. So if you do know the truth and there's nothing to the allegations, you have every right to condemn political correctness.

Absent the truth, however, I fail to see the relevance of this topic of discussion as it pertains to the investigation and this thread.

All I know of this whole situation is that today is a sad day for university, the basketball program, and Gregg Marshall. I know we agree on that.
                    So we've gone from he put his hands on an assistant coaches neck to choking and now to strangulation?

...stay woke America

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

My guess is he is not choosing WSU. I just don't think he would commit to a interim coach.
                      The only way would be if IB and LG got word about this happening a couple of days ago and working hard on him behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Saying there was no winner in this whole debacle is a stupid sentiment, eh? But of course your opinion is better.

GGG couldn't be fired with cause...
                        Not sure I understand. The Doc didn't say there was no winner. If he did, I would have agreed. Instead, he said political correctness and a perceived shift to the political left of university administration benefits no one, which by default insinuates the allegations under investigation are untrue and that HCGM resigned merely because of political correctness. That's what I'm challenging.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Do the math and WSU came out really good with the buyout.

$7.75 ,mill over 6 years is $1.3 mill a year. The moment Marshall takes a job for at least that much, no more money from WSU.

Subtract $1.3 mill from $3.5 mill and that leaves $2.2 mill. That amount probably won't be there due to some upset donors, but that amount shouldn't be needed to hire a new coach either.

The big item in the settlement is stretching the money over 6 years instead of 3. The settlement is more favorable to WSU than it appears if you just look at the amount.
                          This presumes that Marshall is even interested in coaching again. He is just a few months shy of 58. He always said he wasn't going to Coach deep into his 60's. He can probably scrape by on $1.3 million a year for the next 6 years and perhaps supplement that with some non-coaching gigs. Maybe he is ready for a life of leisure. Would a job as a color analyst reduce the buyout or are the TV net works to woke to offer him such an opportunity? One thing he can do is be very picky about is to what and to where his next move will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Not sure I understand. The Doc didn't say there was no winner. If he did, I would have agreed. Instead, he said political correctness and a perceived shift to the political left of university administration benefits no one, which by default insinuates the allegations under investigation are untrue and that HCGM resigned merely because of political correctness. That's what I'm challenging.
                            Political correctness is killing this website! It's killing the university...it's killing society... heck, it's killing the dadgum donut industry!

Straight cash homie. You can take that to the bank.

Comment

• When 5 players confirm to Eldridge that Marshall hit (one way or another) Morris and 8 confirm to Eldridge that Marshall had his hands on Linsted's throat, I don't think there's much reason to need to see the report. So far *******'s report from what the players told him and Eldridge's report from what the players told him are consistent. ******* is anti-WSU and anti-Marshall, but Eldridge is not.

Throw in Baker's "when that stuff was happening", and there's not much left to know that could be in the report, unless there's some desire to see the players named, which wouldn't do any good at any level.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I got to go on a Shocker road trip last season. After the game on the plane, he said he intended to retire at around 60. So, at the time, I figured 3 or 4 more seasons. He also said and quoting as best as I can remember, “I burn kind of hot.” I think he is done as a head coach. Maybe he would do some under the radar consulting.

Comment

Working...
                                X