Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

He turned down the Georgia job That was offering north of 3 mil. Gonna take some bucks. Guessing also means 3G isn't getting a lovely parting gift.
    i wonder if he would/is taking less with the prior medical stuff and wanting to coach this year. I don’t see another type job like this opening this year.

Comment

• Well, HCTM would definitely stop the bleeding.

Question is, would it be long term or a stopgap?
      The Assman

Comment

• Being in the AAC should give the Shox some decent applicants. Having paid the last coach upwards of $3 mill means we should be able to attract some decent applicants.

Here's possibly the ultimate irony. Marshall got us into the AAC. If we're not in the AAC, we probably don't get to successfully recruit Eric Stevenson, Morris doesn't have another player supporting his position and his situation never gets national attention.

Marshall's "I never laid a hand on a player or an assistant" when there were multiple documented (but mostly anonymous) reports that he had done that may have been the tipping point. Contrition may have worked. Aggressive denial in the face of multiple confirmations is not a path to a successful outcome.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          Well, HCTM would definitely stop the bleeding.

Does it matter?

Long term means he likely it's doing well

Stop gap immediately stops the bleeding, also instantly raises WSUs credibility with other coaches for the next hire

Comment

Well, HCTM would definitely stop the bleeding.

He’s only 53 so he’s got plenty of years left if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Also, he’s 53 so might not be interested in doing a lot of job hopping if he is successful here.

Obviously it’s all just speculation since he turned down good money at GA three years ago. Then again the WSU basketball job is >>> than GA basketball IMO.

Comment

• The fact Seth Davis tweeted it, a known “Koch Brothers” hater, makes me oddly believe it more.

It seems to quick to be fake.

Like they waited to have it lined up before Marshall announced his resignation.
              The Assman

Comment

• My old age showing...

I understand it was his own fault, but my heart hurts not only for the players and program, but for Gregg Marshall and his family. Imagine your life’s work being defined by a single mistake. Imagine your dad’s dreams and legacy going up in flames. Gregg is a tough man, but I imagine there were tears shed in the Marshall household. His fault or not, we can still offer sympathy to the guilty. Praying for coach and his family tonight—sometimes, the grass is greener.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

He’s only 53 so he’s got plenty of years left if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Also, he’s 53 so might not be interested in doing a lot of job hopping if he is successful here.

Obviously it’s all just speculation since he turned down good money at GA three years ago. Then again the WSU basketball job is >>> than GA basketball IMO.
                  Absolutely a better job than an SEC football afterran.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The fact Seth Davis tweeted it, a known “Koch Brothers” hater, makes me oddly believe it more.

It seems to quick to be fake.

Like they waited to have it lined up before Marshall announced his resignation.
                    More wild speculation on my part: building WSU basketball to the point it’s at today is the crowning achievement of Marshall’s career. As much as I don’t like what (seems) to be happening and would prefer he remain the coach he also strikes me as the kind of guy who would want to ensure WSU basketball remains on good footing, regardless of his feelings about the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                      My old age showing...

I understand it was his own fault, but my heart hurts not only for the players and program, but for Gregg Marshall and his family. Imagine your life’s work being defined by a single mistake. Imagine your dad’s dreams and legacy going up in flames. Gregg is a tough man, but I imagine there were tears shed in the Marshall household. His fault or not, we can still offer sympathy to the guilty. Praying for coach and his family tonight—sometimes, the grass is greener.
                      It is a pretty big blow. 7 years ago we were at the pinnacle with him. He was a god. He beat Thad Matta to go to the Final Four. And then a perfect season. Iconic and future NBA players. And then dropping Bill Self's pants and spanking him. And then a move to a better conference. Tons of money and a growing campus. Who would have thought 7 years ago after a FF that this was how it was gonna end for him? A story that came out 5 years after the fact?

It's a stinger.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

My old age showing...

I’ve had the chance to know Gregg a little bit, and I can tell you that my wife was tearing up tonight as this news was breaking. The situation is what it is, but this is hard. Gregg is a hardass with flaws (don’t we all have flaws?), but he ultimately is still a good man who will always have Yours Truly as a fan.
                        78-65

Comment

• From Taylor just now: After talking to my sources in and around the program, I cannot confirm Stadium's report that WSU is expected to part ways with coach Gregg Marshall.

Their consensus: The report might ultimately prove to be true, but as of Tuesday night no could 100% confirm that was WSU's plan.

Comment

My old age showing...

Totally agree with you. And yet I still think Coach M leaving is a mistake. But I am no big contributor and apparently the ones that make the decisions have spoken. I am just a dude that grew up watching shocker basketball and fell in love with it. I am hoping that this program doesn't end up like Texas Tech and ku football programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                              From Taylor just now: After talking to my sources in and around the program, I cannot confirm Stadium's report that WSU is expected to part ways with coach Gregg Marshall.

Their consensus: The report might ultimately prove to be true, but as of Tuesday night no could 100% confirm that was WSU's plan.
                              I’m not going to hold my breath but Marshall staying, with increased monitoring and improvement plan, has been and continues to be my preference. Obviously seems like a long shot at this point but I guess we shall see.

Would love for ******* and even Davis to a lesser degree to end up with some egg on their face for reporting this before it was a done deal but again, that seems to just be wishful thinking at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                                From Taylor just now: After talking to my sources in and around the program, I cannot confirm Stadium's report that WSU is expected to part ways with coach Gregg Marshall.

That would be the best **** you to ******* one could ever hope for.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X