Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post

We need a senior pg, not a senior sg.
    Agreed. I think the experiment that coach did (trying to recruit SGs and turn them into PGs) was a failure. I would like to see him move past that behavior. Perhaps recruit one as a backup PG, but not as the primary day-to-day. And remember if we do that we are incurring risk (in case of an injury) that we will NOT be in a good spot.

Comment

• One thing that has struck me with all of the transfers is how many high-majors are interested in players from low and mid-majors. For one, it is another indication about the shortcoming of recruiting statistics and another is that programs would rather take the "risk" of a Div 1 player with a proven track record at any level rather than a freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Agreed. I think the experiment that coach did (trying to recruit SGs and turn them into PGs) was a failure. I would like to see him move past that behavior. Perhaps recruit one as a backup PG, but not as the primary day-to-day. And remember if we do that we are incurring risk (in case of an injury) that we will NOT be in a good spot.
        I don't know. They were really combo guards. I just think it takes more time sometimes. He did it with Joe Ragland pretty successfully. Toure got his start as a combo guard playing point under GM. He then did it in his professional career including the NBA for a short while. Landry had some success as a point but was actually a combo guard. Baker had some point success backing up Fred. Armstead was a good point guard but he could play off guard good too so he was a combo guard.

Fred Van Vleet was really the only pure point guard GM has ever had. Fred was so good because he was a true leader but we also had multiple true leaders in that group including Baker, Cotton, etc. We need to have upper classmen that are leaders imo. This team was pulled apart from within, because of a lack of upper class leadership and if we had won a couple of those close games, things may have been different.

Comment

• Coach described Noah as a pure point guard, Grant as a combo with primary pg and secondary sg skills, Tyson as the reverse of Grant and Jamarius as a combo 1,2 or 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don't know. They were really combo guards. I just think it takes more time sometimes. He did it with Joe Ragland pretty successfully. Toure got his start as a combo guard playing point under GM. He then did it in his professional career including the NBA for a short while. Landry had some success as a point but was actually a combo guard. Baker had some point success backing up Fred. Armstead was a good point guard but he could play off guard good too so he was a combo guard.

Fred Van Vleet was really the only pure point guard GM has ever had. Fred was so good because he was a true leader but we also had multiple true leaders in that group including Baker, Cotton, etc. We need to have upper classmen that are leaders imo. This team was pulled apart from within, because of a lack of upper class leadership and if we had won a couple of those close games, things may have been different.
            I would add CF in the mix. If im not mistaken, he spelled LS at point. Basically had a 4:1 TO ratio at WSU in limited minutes at point. Absolute defensive liability against the opposition's PG

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
              Coach described Noah as a pure point guard, Grant as a combo with primary pg and secondary sg skills, Tyson as the reverse of Grant and Jamarius as a combo 1,2 or 3.
              Noah didn’t play enough minutes to be our point guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post

I would add CF in the mix. If im not mistaken, he spelled LS at point. Basically had a 4:1 TO ratio at WSU in limited minutes at point. Absolute defensive liability against the opposition's PG
                CF. I’m not sure. Throw in more than initials from years ago.oh Conner Frankamp. Another combo guard.

Comment

• Interestingly, Shamet was drafted as a point guard but the 76ers learned pretty quickly that he was deadly in the catch-and-shoot and moved him to shooting guard where he has excelled for both teams he has been on. CF was our shooting guard but has found success as a scoring point guard in Europe. (mainly because he is a better shooter off the dribble than catch-and-shoot).

Comment

• What's not to like about a #1, 2, or 3 JUCO at any position, especially this year at positions 1, 4, and 5!.

Comment

• I don’t know if it’s covid-19 or the number of transfers leaving the program, but I have hardly read about recruiting or the names of those potentially transferring into the program. It’s not that I don’t care, it’s more like why should I care? I’m pissed at the players for leaving and at Marshall for having such an imbalanced class and the inability to either recruit his type of player or keep them motivated and engaged in the program.

Comment

• All those combo guards listed were ok but not great or even good PGs at WSU. Landry played PG because Conner couldn’t handle the point. The ball moved East-west with Conner and we needed someone who could get in the paint. Landry was a good enough athlete to pull it off but it was not ideal. Ron was not that good when he came in while Fred was hurt. Malcolm was a true PG that was a good enough shooter to move over to SG with Fred in. Toure was kinda like Landry without the deadeye shot, he was ok at point but not great, Joe Ragland was a pure PG that could stroke it. Clevin Hannah was another pure PG that could shoot. By my count, we’ve had CH, JR, MA and FVV. We had a good run of true PGs and nothing since Fred.

Comment

• I hear that the UConn graduate transfer PG picked WSU. That’s great news if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
                            I hear that the UConn graduate transfer PG picked WSU. That’s great news if true.

Comment

• Woot!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X