2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
    Dexter posted a broken heart on twitter and changed his background and main photos to a blank black screen...
    He's bummed because he can't buy a roll of toilet paper in the whole damn city.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I agree with the "very good" nomenclature. There is no doubt that 3G understands what it takes to win college basketball games. His record is clear proof of that. But it is not proof that he is infallible or that he will be able to sustain his past successes in the AAC. You point out a couple of his weaknesses. I would add that he is not the best at recognizing when he needs to make adjustments and in implementing needed adjustments on the fly during games. When he had highly trusted and experienced assistants like Jans, Heiar and Forbes by his side the Shockers were better at that. Not sure he is the best X's and O's guy. I think there is some stubbornness on the part of 3G that may come into play here. That said 23-8 is a really good year on the faces of it. However, the 8-7 finish including a 3G career worst loss to Houston was a gut-wrenching stretch. Even the Shocks 15th win of the season against UConn was almost a disaster with the Shocks lucky to hang an to win that in double OT after trying to pull a UNI at the end of regulation. The final 15 games was totally hit or miss as to what we would see from this Shocker team. Obviously, the crabgrass had taken hold at about that time.

Perhaps one of 3G's best and worst traits is his competitiveness. He would probably not have had his success without it. But it can also be detriment at times if the competitive fire is misdirected. Perhaps what we are seeing now is partially due to some misdirected friendly fire. It's a lot easier for players to direct their competitive fire where needed than it is for a coach. Sometimes all that is left for him to aim at is his coaching staff, the players and perhaps even the fans on occasion. This, if it is an issue at all, will not be very easy for 3G to change. Mrs. 3G doesn't appear to be the type to try and soften his edges any. In fact, she seems to be more of strop than anything. He has been this way with great success for a long time. And maybe it shouldn't change.

That said I don't think 3G deserves anywhere close to all of the blame for the way the last half of the season played out. There seems to be plenty of contributors from both inside and on the perimeter of the program to share that blame.

Bottom line is 3G is one of the 2 best men's basketball coaches in Shocker history along with Ralph Miller and we have been very lucky to have him. Whether he is worth $3.5 million a year is another question but somebody apparently thinks he is (or at least thought he was). That and an auto-renewing 7-year contract is a huge vote of confidence by the money people. In any case, I don't see 3G as the kind of guy to walk away from a challenge and this is where the good side of the competitive sword comes into play.

That said this doesn't make 3G off limits for criticism when it is deserved nor does it mean he has all of the answers all of the time..
      He does tend to be stubborn. I wish he would play zone more often when we can't stay in front of opposing guards. Or even to change things up a bit to take a team out of their rhythm. He did it a couple of time this year with good success, but not as often as he could or should...IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Just think about it....

This season WSU had:
        - a team with less overall talent than conference opponents.
        - a team with 90+% 1st or 2nd year players in college
        - a team with a lot of turmoil

Marshall STILL guides this team, likely, in the right side of the NCAA bubble. That doesn’t happen by accident.

He’s not perfect, but he is a GREAT coach.
        Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Bill Snyder, Gene Stephenson, Gregg Marshall..........all great hires. The ending for the first two was highly unpleasant and so will the ending for the third. No idea how far away it is, but when a coach becomes bigger than the program, and is accountable to no one. lots of problems follow. Coach needs to make some adjustments and I'm not sure that he can.
        Seems like there is a lot of truth in both these post.

Comment

• never really seen a week like this on ANY level, but this all stinks...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

Huh? Do you watch a lot of college basketball? Have you seen coaches named Mick Cronin, Frank Martin, Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins, Tom Crean, Sean Miller, Buzz Williams, Tom Izzo, to name a few? All these guys are just as fiery/animated on the sideline as HCGM and just as successful and more.
            I respectfully disagree. Sure every college coach gets fired up on the sidelines, but I don’t recall any of the coaches listed above having this number of players entering the transfer portal...obviously HCGM has not been able to foster decent player relationships. Whether or not he is recruiting the correct players for his coaching style is also relevant to this discussion. If you blame the players, isn’t HCGM ultimately responsible for bringing the right guys for his system to campus?

Comment

• A positive offshoot of this is we are now much more balanced in the classes if we don't have anymore defections.

2 seniors
              3 Juniors
              2 sophomores
              2 freshman

4 scholarships to give. Pick up a grad transfer, a couple freshman with maybe one willing to redshirt and a juco.

​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                A positive offshoot of this is we are now much more balanced in the classes if we don't have anymore defections.

2 seniors
                3 Juniors
                2 sophomores
                2 freshman

4 scholarships to give. Pick up a grad transfer, a couple freshman with maybe one willing to redshirt and a juco.

​​​​
                Obviously, you want to get the best players you can regardless of class. I like your approach which would give us 3+4+2+4 although I'm thinking maybe add 2 grad transfers and 2 freshman. Add a Juco next year to take next year's junior class to 3 players plus 3 freshman. That would give 3+3+4+3 next year assuming everyone stays. Although assuming everyone stays may not be very realistic this day and age. Plus we don't know if the Shocker player movement for this year is done yet.

I just hope all the drama over the past few years isn't going to damage the Shocks' recruiting efforts very much. You know it will probably be brought up by other coaching staffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I talk about when he was good this season, and you come back with lifetime statistics. Not really a direct rebuttal.

This will be my last post on the subject as I've burned all the calories I've got to spend sticking up for this kid, but here goes.

Up until the UConn game this season (when he was playing good) his sophomore season statistics were around 36.3% from 3, 48.1% from 2, and he was averaging about 14 points a game. Not world-beating by any means, but historically pretty good for a sophomore at WSU. When he was "on," he was clearly our best offensive player on the floor, followed by JE. He was also a pretty damn good defender during this stretch, averaging about 1.9 steals per game.

Look, I don't like sticking up for Stevenson that much because I think his dad is trash and thought Erik himself was pretty whiney at times, but this revisionist BS that happens every time a player leaves or voices a complaint is garbage, too. If Stevenson could have figured out his issues and taken that good stretch and put it across the whole season, gotten rid of the bad, bad errors (he also averaged 1.4 turnovers during that same stretch), and made the gradual improvement that a junior and then a senior would normally make, he would have been a pretty great player.

I know it's a lot of "ifs," but it's not beyond the realm of possibility considering he had it pretty close the first 16 games of this season.
                  29% is not revisionist bs

Comment

• All I'm going to say is that I am getting really sick of watching my favorite players leave.
                    Kick 'em square in the grapes! (that can be very painful)

Comment

• Originally posted by double dribble View Post
                      All I'm going to say is that I am getting really sick of watching my favorite players leave.
                      Move along, love, they weren’t the one.

Comment

• Syracuse has had 3 players enter the portal right away as well. Including a very highly rated recruit in Brycen Goodine.

Comment

• Imagine getting Brycen as a replacement. Yes, please!

Seems like a nice and humble kid. (Talented too)
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by FireGreggggMarshall View Post

I respectfully disagree. Sure every college coach gets fired up on the sidelines, but I don’t recall any of the coaches listed above having this number of players entering the transfer portal...obviously HCGM has not been able to foster decent player relationships. Whether or not he is recruiting the correct players for his coaching style is also relevant to this discussion. If you blame the players, isn’t HCGM ultimately responsible for bringing the right guys for his system to campus?
                            No one is gonna take you seriously with a screen name like that, especially with the emphasis on the letter G.

Nobody gives a **** what outside KU trolls think.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• This is a blessing in disguise, gentlemen. Soldiers didn’t understand Patton, either. Give it time.

Comment

• Definitely concerned about Dennis based on social media. Hope I’m wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X