2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

No, it was excellent. How many coaches not in the MVC would have IF they would have coached in the MVC?
    Mark Turgeon called. Said to leave the “At this level” talk for himself only.

Comment

Remember, we beat Cal Poly, then lost to Kentucky the 8th seed.
      True statement

​​​​​Remember we beat Cal Poly, then lost to Kentucky, the eventual national runner up.

Also a true statement

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

True statement

​​​​​Remember we beat Cal Poly, then lost to Kentucky, the eventual national runner up.

Also a true statement
        it probably sounded good in his head. Im certainly guilty myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. D View Post
          I would Marshall is a very, very good or great coach - here's why

1 - He is acknowledged by other coaches as a "great coach"
          2 - Look at his team he inherited to where it is now = we all seem to put Izzo, Self, Williams, etc as "great coaches", but look at what they inherited, some very good teams
          3 - WSU's road record - one of the best in the country
          4 - Post season entries
          5 - Players in the NBA
          6 - Koch arena sell-outs - number of
          7 - His overall winning percentage
          8 - The overall respect by other schools and coaches = "not to play them"

I think that bleedingnblackngold is correct - look at his resume
          I am one that doesnt like to throw around the word great just for fun as well.

But these are great points.

And honestly, I am not sure you can fully label a coach great/good until their career is done and you can fully evaluate everything. I need to see how this AAC move plays out fully. It's still too early to know for sure.

However, he has guided WSU to levels I didnt think possible and helped to change how the Shockers are viewed nationally. So if he isn't "great" then I think he is on his way to great.

He is human therefore not perfect. And I do feel he needs to evolve as the game and players evolve. We will see if that happens.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

You are calling him great. The onus is on you pal.
            I’ve stated his resume as an indication of a great coach. I’m not sure if you need a display of coaching resumes to determine what is or isn’t great. But I’m looking at a great coach!

Comment

The team that lost in the Championship game?

Yeah, that sure was a bad loss.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

The team that lost in the Championship game?

Yeah, that sure was a bad loss.
                The great coach of a one seed should have beaten the 8th seed with a perfect record coming in...right. Listen, your fandom along with mine and everyone here on SN is unquestioned. Marshall won 5 MVC titles (actually shared one). Some may call that great, but how many of us bitched about how watered down the MVC had become? We made it to a final-4 under Marshall. So did Bruce Pearl, Frank Martin, Shaka Smart and Porter Moser. Are they great? No. Marshall won National Coach Of The Year honors (he had a great year no doubt). So did Bruce Weber, Rick Barnes, Jamie Dixon and Jim Larranaga. Are they great? No. Now, do I think Marshall is a better coach than most of who I mentioned...yes. It still doesn't make him a great coach...yet. As I have stated all along, I want Marshall to be our coach. I want him to eventually be great. I think he can be great. I don't like all the defections in the past few years. Maybe if he was a great coach some of those defections could have been avoided and his greatness could have been viewed in a clearer light.

Comment

The great coach of a one seed should have beaten the 8th seed with a perfect record coming in...right. Listen, your fandom along with mine and everyone here on SN is unquestioned. Marshall won 5 MVC titles (actually shared one). Some may call that great, but how many of us bitched about how watered down the MVC had become? We made it to a final-4 under Marshall. So did Bruce Pearl, Frank Martin, Shaka Smart and Porter Moser. Are they great? No. Marshall won National Coach Of The Year honors (he had a great year no doubt). So did Bruce Weber, Rick Barnes, Jamie Dixon and Jim Larranaga. Are they great? No. Now, do I think Marshall is a better coach than most of who I mentioned...yes. It still doesn't make him a great coach...yet. As I have stated all along, I want Marshall to be our coach. I want him to eventually be great. I think he can be great. I don't like all the defections in the past few years. Maybe if he was a great coach some of those defections could have been avoided and his greatness could have been viewed in a clearer light.
                  Fair and logical points. I can see where you are coming from.

I think we can all agree UK was purposely under-seeded that year and if we played any other 8-seed, we’d win going away.

Both teams played nearly perfect that game as Coach Cal said: “No way we should have played them that early. This should have been a game that determined who was going to the Final Four.”
                  Last edited by Shock Top; March 14, 2020, 02:04 PM.
                  The Assman

Comment

He may need to adapt some, I agree, but he doesn’t need to bend over backwards to please and kowtow to 19-year-olds.

The sooner they realize it’s not all about them, the better for their lives.
                    He may have to do some bending backwards, forwards or sideways if and when the new proposed transfer rules are approved (and it sounds like most believe their is no if about it). Who knows perhaps this already impacting decisions of players who are on the fence about transferring. If you don't have to concerned about sitting out a year you are less likely to hang around in a situation that you are not satisfied with and try to make it work. Perhaps these new rules were a factor in the decisions by Jamarius, Noah and Deantoni. I think Erik and Tate would be departing regardless of these new rules.

The number of transfers has being growing very rapidly in recent years and you think that will only accelerate when the new rules are apporved.

Roster stability may become even more of a challenge to maintain going forward.

Comment

Just think about it....

This season WSU had:
                      - a team with less overall talent than conference opponents.
                      - a team with 90+% 1st or 2nd year players in college
                      - a team with a lot of turmoil

Marshall STILL guides this team, likely, in the right side of the NCAA bubble. That doesn’t happen by accident.

He’s not perfect, but he is a GREAT coach.
                      Those are good points, but I would pull GREAT down a notch to very good. His end-of-clock situations have been downright awful, and his timeout philosophy could use some situational tweaking. If he can improve in those areas then he could certainly become GREAT.

Comment

• TE is our most talented and most potential filled player and he is ALL IN.

Seems like he proves there are players like him out there.
                        The Assman

Comment

Sorry but I'm calling you out on this. Do you REALLY think Kentucky was an 8 seed. Really?

Comment

Agree with what you posted except the bolded sections -
                            1. I am tired of Marshall as HC of the Shockers
                            2. I don't think he will eventually be a great coach; he is what he is IMO, a very successful mid-tier coach - especially in the Valley of Mediocrity
                            If Marshall was a great coach he might have avoided some or maybe all of the management issues I have with him. IMO moving to the AAC is illustrating Marshall's shortcomings as a coach. Again, IMO if Mick Cronin had not moved to UCLA; Cronin and Sampson would have owned Marshall for as long as the three of them coached in the AAC. Thus my reasoning for the Shockers being very unlikely to ever win the Conference and the Conference Tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Sorry but I'm calling you out on this. Do you REALLY think Kentucky was an 8 seed. Really?
                              That is an entire different discussion than the one I was having.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                                [/LIST]If Marshall was a great coach he might have avoided some or maybe all of the management issues I have with him.
                                And yet.. The transfers are the entitled ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X