2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
    I thought that was Jamie Arnold during Randy’s tenure. I was at that game.
    Beat me to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireGreggggMarshall View Post
      It’s time for us to realize that HCGM’s coaching philosophy is a relic of a bygone era. Another Fred and Ron are not coming back to this program any time soon.

HCGM has shown that he does not have the ability to connect to athletes in a way that all competent college coaches can. In order to effectively run a program, the leader MUST be able to identify with these players at the INDIVIDUAL level.

HCGM’s antics on the sidelines have rubbed many the wrong way (clearly not just fans, but his players as well). Are the players really the problem, or is the coach the true culprit?
      Huh? Do you watch a lot of college basketball? Have you seen coaches named Mick Cronin, Frank Martin, Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins, Tom Crean, Sean Miller, Buzz Williams, Tom Izzo, to name a few? All these guys are just as fiery/animated on the sideline as HCGM and just as successful and more.

Comment

• The real question is when whoever is next leaves here Sooner or later?

Just have the feeling that the train hasn’t left the station quite yet.
        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by FireGreggggMarshall View Post
          It’s time for us to realize that HCGM’s coaching philosophy is a relic of a bygone era. Another Fred and Ron are not coming back to this program any time soon.

HCGM has shown that he does not have the ability to connect to athletes in a way that all competent college coaches can. In order to effectively run a program, the leader MUST be able to identify with these players at the INDIVIDUAL level.

HCGM’s antics on the sidelines have rubbed many the wrong way (clearly not just fans, but his players as well). Are the players really the problem, or is the coach the true culprit?
          Ridicules post! In 3G we trust. Great coach he has earned our respect and loyalty!
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

It's something I feel like I've picked up on as a fan.

Erik's problem is that a lot of his mistakes were BIG mistakes, though. Even so, we can all tell there's something that makes this team not click at times. You have to wonder how a team that we know can shoot the ball pretty well when they are "on" can just do nothing but hit bricks some games. Playing out of fear of making a mistake probably makes you play a lot worse than playing for fun or to score or whatever.

I think our biggest problem is that we had 3 or 4 players who were all essentially the same. 1A starts messing up, yank him for 1B.
            I had been saying for several games in game thread that Gregg is not empowering his players.

For ****s sake: THE ONLY SHOT THE TEAM FELT COMFORTABLE SHOOTING WAS A LATE SHOT CLOCK HEAVE BECAUSE IT WAS THE ONLY SHOT GREGG COULDN'T GET MAD AT THEM FOR.

Go back and watch a few of the games and you'll see it.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• We won 23 games with a lot of discontented players. Either way, that’s coaching!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                It's also concerning that Shaq called Marshall out basically and then Darryl Willis and Frankamp have all gotten in on agreeing with him. Though it's kinda odd coming from 3 guys who are now playing pro ball.. 2 of them probably owe most of that to Marshall and WSU.
                I guess I don’t know why everyone’s assuming Shaq was definitely calling out Marshall? That’s certainly one possible way to read it, but I don’t think it’s clear at all. Especially since Willis clearly endorsed what he said... but still has a photo of himself in a Shocker jersey as his profile pic. Couldn’t have been that bad of an experience to still have that up years later? Just seems like it’s really unclear whether they’re pointing straight to Marshall or saying something more about how he’s harsh and some guys struggle with that.

And no, I’m not defending Marshall or the players, I think everyone needs to take a look at themselves, from the top on down.
                There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

• And here I thought that Shockernet would be a bit of a ghost town for some time. That's why I don't make predictions on the pre-game threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Beat me to it.
                    He left the game, went to locker room and changed clothes; several minutes later he was spotted eating a hotdog in the student section. One of the strangest things I’ve ever seen.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek View Post

I guess I don’t know why everyone’s assuming Shaq was definitely calling out Marshall? That’s certainly one possible way to read it, but I don’t think it’s clear at all. Especially since Willis clearly endorsed what he said... but still has a photo of himself in a Shocker jersey as his profile pic. Couldn’t have been that bad of an experience to still have that up years later? Just seems like it’s really unclear whether they’re pointing straight to Marshall or saying something more about how he’s harsh and some guys struggle with that.

And no, I’m not defending Marshall or the players, I think everyone needs to take a look at themselves, from the top on down.
                      I agree and hope Shaq might clarify his post. For reference go back to an article on Kansas.com from 3/15/18 that addressed his time at WSU and his trials and tribulations and how he eventually manned up and is a better person for it.

Comment

• Question. Is it permissible on Shockernet to feel Gregg needs to change without feeling that Gregg needs to go?
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                          Question. Is it permissible on Shockernet to feel Gregg needs to change without feeling that Gregg needs to go?
                          He may need to adapt some, I agree, but he doesn’t need to bend over backwards to please and kowtow to 19-year-olds.

The sooner they realize it’s not all about them, the better for their lives.
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            Question. Is it permissible on Shockernet to feel Gregg needs to change without feeling that Gregg needs to go?
                            Yes. I am firmly in the camp that I want him as our coach. I am also firmly in the camp he can be out of control as a leader and coach. He is a really good coach, but not great. I have never been in the "In Marshall We Trust" camp. Everyone is fallible and should not be worshiped like that. He better be taking a serious look in the mirror given the past few years of defections. I am not a data analysis expert to know for sure, but I believe we are near the top of the country in defections over the past few years. That is a direct reflection of the coaching staff's ability to judge players' abilities, character, leadership, etc... Time for Marshall to elevate his game, just like he asks his players to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                              Some on here are over-inflating Erik's talent level. He was never under any circumstances going to be an all-time Shocker great.
                              When you word it that unequivocally, I disagree.

If he cleaned up the messiness and could generate the great play closer to 75-80% of the time, he would have been a pretty great player. Dude was just a sophomore. We saw the improvement he made from his Freshman year to (the first part of) this year.

I have a feeling time will tell. I won't be surprised if he ends up a total bust wherever he lands, but I also won't be surprised if he goes full baller.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Gordon had many chances but couldn’t ever gain any traction. Another player with a lot of potential that never materialized.

ES had too much family baggage.

NF has a foot problem. He looked good but it’s hard when you can’t stay healthy. See below.

JB. I feel for JB. Not a great PG, but serviceable, and a good player. He just doesn’t have a position. They were able to make stuff work a little bit but Marshall needs pure points. Even Baker was a bad PG in Marshall’s system.

JB and Noah are casualties of Marshall needing pure points and a dependable guards. It looks like he found that in Grant- a player who started to step away but re-evaluated and seems to be bought into the system.

What has plagued this team is not Marshall, it’s that there isn’t a core to build around. When you bring in 13 guys to compete for starting spots where 10-11 of them could be a starter, you aren’t going to foster good feelings. Some space needed to be cleared for the core.

That core was decimated after Landry’s team got away from Marshall. All the sudden you had guys that are pushing back because the core isn’t there to tell them to sit down and Marshall has to do it. Do you think the locker room is run the same way as it was when King Fred held court? How about Clevin? Ramon? Malcom? Carl? This team has always had hardasses to handle the discipline of other players and keep the locker room in line. That was not Landry or Shaq. Shaq was lazy and his lack of work ethic on the court ruined this team.

These moves give this team the core it needs. GS, TE, Dex, and our three headed monster down low. Not dismissing Trey, but I’m not sure he is the leader of this team next year. That is a good core to build around. This season has separated the chaff from the wheat and gives WSU the base it needs to improve.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X