2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
    You all act like ES would be worse than any high caliber player from a top level program. This is an extreme example...but Kentucky sure can mold together a bunch of "me" guys into a team. If what you say is true...why can't HCGM coach different personalities?
    Accepting the premise that all the guys at Kentucky have a “me” attitude, which I doubt but have no idea if that’s accurate or not, there is a big difference between them and Erik. They have the talent to back up their opinions of themselves. Erik does not, IMO.

He has talent, no doubt. He plays hard, is athletic, and is a great rebounder. His defense improved leaps and bounds this year.

He’s also a career sub 30% three point shooter with questionable shot selection and an uninspiring assist to turnover ratio.

If he could accept that he’s a role player not a star he would be a great asset to any team. IMO.

Comment

• Stevenson said, “But when the confidence from the staff went away and the one-mistake, come-out rule went into place, that’s when things started to go downhill. I think the former players know exactly what I’m talking about.”

‘Coach and I didn’t have a great relationship’: Erik Stevenson speaks on WSU transfer

Is the "come out of the game if you make a mistake" rule something that Marshall has always done? I hadn't noticed it in the past, but maybe that's because we really have never had such a young team.

Comment

• *sarcasm* I doubt these mistakes were ever mentioned to Erik in film sessions or practice. How could he have known what the coaches expected of him? *sarcasm*

Comment

You all act like ES would be worse than any high caliber player from a top level program. This is an extreme example...but Kentucky sure can mold together a bunch of "me" guys into a team. If what you say is true...why can't HCGM coach different personalities?
          It’s a fair point. Cal has had something like 10 transfers in ten years. I think someone posted earlier that after today Marshall has had 8 in three seasons.

JB transferring hurts. Another transfer that hurt was the one who just scored 41 points vs TCU the other night

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

It’s a fair point. Cal has had something like 10 transfers in ten years. I think someone posted earlier that after today Marshall has had 8 in three seasons.

JB transferring hurts. Another transfer that hurt was the one who just scored 41 points vs TCU the other night
            UK players also are in the convo for a National Championship each season.

A lot easier to bite the bullet for a better chance at glory.
            The Assman

Comment

• UK has also had 12-15 1and dones in 10 years. They never had a chance to transfer.

Comment

• At least shocks02 will have something to keep him busy without sports on!
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

UK players also are in the convo for a National Championship each season.

A lot easier to bite the bullet for a better chance at glory.
                  So a 5-star will take a back seat for a Natty...but a 3-star won't for a Conference championship? Maybe it goes deeper than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    Stevenson said, “But when the confidence from the staff went away and the one-mistake, come-out rule went into place, that’s when things started to go downhill. I think the former players know exactly what I’m talking about.”

‘Coach and I didn’t have a great relationship’: Erik Stevenson speaks on WSU transfer

Is the "come out of the game if you make a mistake" rule something that Marshall has always done? I hadn't noticed it in the past, but maybe that's because we really have never had such a young team.
                    It's something I feel like I've picked up on as a fan.

Erik's problem is that a lot of his mistakes were BIG mistakes, though. Even so, we can all tell there's something that makes this team not click at times. You have to wonder how a team that we know can shoot the ball pretty well when they are "on" can just do nothing but hit bricks some games. Playing out of fear of making a mistake probably makes you play a lot worse than playing for fun or to score or whatever.

I think our biggest problem is that we had 3 or 4 players who were all essentially the same. 1A starts messing up, yank him for 1B.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

So a 5-star will take a back seat for a Natty...but a 3-star won't for a Conference championship? Maybe it goes deeper than that.
                      Oh nevermind...Shaq already mentioned that.

Comment

So a 5-star will take a back seat for a Natty...but a 3-star won't for a Conference championship?
                        If he is likely going to the NBA in a year or starting the next, yes.

3-stars don't have the luxury, in their eyes, to not be starting
                        The Assman

Comment

• Think about this:

we had two players leave the team and come back in-season. Neither of those two players were among the five that entered the transfer portal today.

could be more to come

Comment

Oh nevermind...Shaq already mentioned that.
                            I also remember Kelly mentioning that year's team was soft and didn't have the dog mentality.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                              Think about this:

we had two players leave the team and come back in-season. Neither of those two players were among the five that entered the transfer portal today.

could be more to come
                              Outside of those two and TE, who is already bought in, would any others be REALLY surprising?

I suppose TW would be, but I don't see him leaving.
                              The Assman

Comment

Still amazed at some of your hatred for ES. He was a difference maker a lot of games.
                                Yeah, it is how amazing how some have turned so quickly. Here are the "Win Shares" for this team

1. Etienne - 3.3
                                2. Stevenson - 3.2
                                3. Echenique - 3.2
                                4. Wade - 2.8
                                5. Burton - 2.7
                                6. Dennis - 2.4
                                7. Sherfield - 2.0
                                8. Udeze - 1.3
                                9. PBC - 0.6
                                10. AM - 0.4
                                11. Noah F. - 0.2
                                12. D. Gordon - 0.2

That is 9.5 win-shares gone from this team due to transfers and J.E. being gone.

For reference here is some historical

Fred - 1.8, 7.2, 7.0, 4.9
                                Ron - 5.5, 6.8, 6.9, 5.6
                                T. Cotton - 1.2, 3.0, 5.1, 4.1
                                D. Carter - 3.5, 4.1
                                S. Morris - 1.6, 2.7, 3.5, 4.2

I guess it possible that Sherfield and Etienne make huge jumps. But personally I would rather have JB instead of GS.

Wade is probably is what he is.

Dennis has been 2.5, 2.4. You could see him contribute possibly more, but his December issue has to be a reason for concern because there may be even more pressure and how will he handle it.

I don't see Udeze, PBC or AM having much improvement. My gut says PBC might be another transfer.

Bilau is a huge unknown. No way to project what he might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X