No announcement yet.

Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh man. I hate to say it because (1) I honestly wish the kid well, and (2) don't care about his - or anyone else's self glorification on social media, but...

Am I the only one that watched that and thought the perfect ending would have been a Lethal Weapon 6-style 3 pointer?

Comment

• ES blocked me on Twitter
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
        ES blocked me on Twitter
        Why are people sending him anything on social media??? Let's not make WSU look like a bunch of babies here

Comment

• Ya know how when we get a trfr, we go check the message board of that player's previous school? Just sayin' - not suggesting anything.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
            Takeaways:

1. I predict internet scholars will look back on the coronavirus and wonder how many it killed with useless internet content.

2. I deserve some type of award for being born in the 70s and figuring out how to do this table on the first try.

3. I started looking at career stats to try and find someone that had started half or more of the games in a season for Marshall that was a worse statistical shooter than ES and I couldn't find one so I kept going. Stats are career, WSU only. I don't care about apples to apples sophomore whatever, so don't bother pointing it out. I even threw big men on there if they actually took real 3s in games.

4. Erik really truly was the worst 3 point shooting frequent starter that we've seen in the Marshall era...

5. ... with the exception of AJ Hawkins. Dead heat with Stutz and Durley though...

6. ... which is not the peer group you want as a shooting guard in the AAC. Not to mention Shard, Rauno, Z Brown, and Machine Gun Willis all being significantly more reliable from 3 than you are.

7. Erik also has the worst effective FG%, tied with Samajae and AJ Hawkins (neither of whom, I believe, were ever recruited by Arizona, Texas, Gonzaga, or Creighton)

8. Graham Hatch! 38 percent from 3 in his career, but 100% from distance in the Gah-den with a championship banner on the line.

9. I had to double check Darius Carter, but he actually did hit 4 of 7.

10. Got dam Rags could play. Just seeing these numbers made me remember the Davidson game.

Bottom line - maybe ES would have improved, maybe he wouldn't have. But I doubt his shot selection would have, and I hated watching it.

Good luck to the young man elsewhere - it's going to be really unfortunate if his only problem was the same as Ricky Vaughn and he torches the NCAAs next year in those glasses.

2FG% 3FG% All FG% eFG%
            Stevenson 45 29 35 44
            Etienne 35 39 38 51
            Burton 44 34 42 46
            Dennis 38 37 37 48
            Wade 49 32 43 49
            Echenique 54 31 52 53
            McDuffie 49 34 43 50
            Haynes-Jones 41 32 37 44
            Shamet 56 44 49 61
            Frankamp 48 39 43 55
            Willis 54 38 52 54
            Reaves 45 45 45 60
            Z Brown 56 33 43 53
            Kelly 49 32 47 49
            Morris 56 36 55 56
            Nurger 57 32 50 55
            Daishon Smith 45 38 41 53
            Baker 51 37 43 53
            Van Vleet 45 39 43 49
            Wessel 53 30 37 48
            Early 56 35 47 54
            Cotton 50 34 44 50
            Carter 52 57 52 53
            Armstead 44 35 40 48
            D Williams 52 32 43 50
            Ragland 60 42 52 61
            Stutz 55 29 52 53
            Murry 45 31 41 46
            Kyles 49 36 42 52
            B Smith 56 39 46 57
            Durley 54 29 48 52
            Hatch 49 38 42 54
            Hannah 51 41 45 57
            Hawkins 47 22 43 44
            Cousinard 52 35 46 52
            Breuer 48 36 41 51
            Mekel 45 31 38 45
            I hate to bump this because I really honestly think that - like in life - we should move forward with positivity instead of looking backward with negativity, and that a bad apple (for the program, at least, maybe not generally) shouldn't be a part of the story.

BUT

Based on a couple of comments I decided to look up Erik's stats so far this year to see how it compared with what I put together in the previous analysis.

Got dam, boy. You're shooting 30% from 2, 24% from 3, with a 33% eFG this season. Stats aren't everything but at the end of the day the ball has to go in the hole... unless you want to take a role that doesn't involve shooting.

And then I can't naturally help thinking that we are literally living the possibility that a player (and father) who appeared to be of a high major caliber were not, tried to hang on, and created a mutiny that took down a HOF coach and a program (to be fair, I will agree somewhat with people who say HCGM helped the effort).

For what it's worth, I played small college and I assume I am approximately the elder Stevenson's age so I can somewhat empathize with the aspiration.

But man... if you're not good enough, you're not good enough. And if you're off a foot to the left or right on half your damn shots, you're not good enough

To the older Stevenson, as coach I would tell him (after I told him where he could shove his opinion) to watch game tape of the 2012-2016 teams and compare it to the recent team's style of play. A stark contrast.

Like I said - this is random but I was shocked. Even though I don't like the kid, his demeanor, his father, or their effect on the program... I grudgingly had to admit that I thought he was going to have better stats after leaving and be able to point to them.

He does not. Or in other terms, it looks like he was going to be the first multi-year starter for Marshall in his entire tenure at WSU that didn't play high level pro ball.

Comment

• Don’t worry. Erik will turn it around and lead his team to 25 wins this year
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Don’t worry. Erik will turn it around and lead his team to 25 wins this year
                I see what you did there

Comment

• He's just all in his head. Good athletic...but thinks too much. All in his head. The words "tries too hard" comes to mind.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• To me, BEFORE he left, he carried himself with an undeserved swag.....he's where he needs to be....where Dad can fix hid PB and J squares and remind him of how the world has it out for him...

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                      He's just all in his head. Good athletic...but thinks too much. All in his head. The words "tries too hard" comes to mind.
                      Actually to use your words "Head case" comes to my mind. I agree with MJ in that his swagger was undeserved and I didn't like the "hard fouls" he committed on a couple of occasions last year. Cheap and dirty comes to mind as well
                      Last edited by pogo; December 14, 2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                        To me, BEFORE he left, he carried himself with an undeserved swag.....he's where he needs to be....where Dad can fix hid PB and J squares and remind him of how the world has it out for him...
                        He doesn’t eat pb&j, remember?
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

He doesn’t eat pb&j, remember?
                          oH, MY!!!! TOTALLY forgot about that!!!!!!!!!!:)

Comment

• Could someone present the specific FACTS about what ES did ? I'm not here to defend him cause I don't
                            know any "facts" but he was not the only player to transfer. What were his specific comments or actions
                            that has gotten into so many heads? As far as his dad I don't care about his actions and comments only
                            Eric's if he made damaging remarks to / about the program. What were they exactly cause I truly do not know.
                            As a player I just know he always gave a lot of effort but was an inconsistent shooter. Had good games and
                            bad like anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              Could someone present the specific FACTS about what ES did ? I'm not here to defend him cause I don't
                              know any "facts" but he was not the only player to transfer. What were his specific comments or actions
                              that has gotten into so many heads? As far as his dad I don't care about his actions and comments only
                              Eric's if he made damaging remarks to / about the program. What were they exactly cause I truly do not know.
                              As a player I just know he always gave a lot of effort but was an inconsistent shooter. Had good games and
                              bad like anyone else.
                              Do I need to create a graphic novel? Go back 8 posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                                To me, BEFORE he left, he carried himself with an undeserved swag.....he's where he needs to be....where Dad can fix hid PB and J squares and remind him of how the world has it out for him...
                                Racist.

Comment

Working...
                                X