Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Also sounds like a friggin' soap opera.
    I think it is worse than that ... it is a train-wreck.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      But there is a feel the catcher has for the pitcher's stuff on a given day. They should have enough information in the scouting report to know pitches and location on each hitter.
      I agree with you. Do you think that any of our catchers the past couple years have had that feel? Or ability to handle that much information?

Comment

I agree with you. Do you think that any of our catchers the past couple years have had that feel? Or ability to handle that much information?
        I don't know, but if they don't, they should switch to competitive knitting. I don't expect any professional organization would wan a catcher without the ability to manage pitch selection in a game or handle the pitchers.

But I digress. I don't like picking on the players. This is a coaching problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          I wonder if this recruiting trip was for Kemnitz next job?
          Where? Midland Junior College?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

But there is a feel the catcher has for the pitcher's stuff on a given day. They should have enough information in the scouting report to know pitches and location on each hitter.
            When I was there the catchers called the pitches and kemnitz reasoning was exactly what you stated, catchers work with these guys everyday and know what is working and what is not, also kemnitz and gene believed that a catcher calling his own game was more appealing to pro scouts. With that being said, i dont have a problem with walker calling the game. I am sure walker is in the dugout with a very detailed scouting report and can make his judegments from there. However, if our pitchers cant hit their spots it doesnt matter who is calling the game

Comment

Originally posted by KansasShocker View Post
              When I was there the catchers called the pitches and kemnitz reasoning was exactly what you stated, catchers work with these guys everyday and know what is working and what is not, also kemnitz and gene believed that a catcher calling his own game was more appealing to pro scouts. With that being said, i dont have a problem with walker calling the game. I am sure walker is in the dugout with a very detailed scouting report and can make his judegments from there. However, if our pitchers cant hit their spots it doesnt matter who is calling the game
              Is it unusual for a coach to communicate scouting information to the catcher via signals? So that the catcher is informed on the fly AND has the benefit of knowing what's working at that moment for the pitcher (and what isn't)?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Is it unusual for a coach to communicate scouting information to the catcher via signals? So that the catcher is infd on the fly AND has the benefit of knowing what's working at that moment for the pitcher (and what isn't)?
                IThats essentially what they're doing by having the coaches call pitches. Previous AB's are charted and referenced each AB. Other coaches are moving players in/out/over via the dugout based on those same charts.

Im more of a catcher calling the game but its not everyones strongsuit.

Comment

I don't know, but if they don't, they should switch to competitive knitting. I don't expect any professional organization would wan a catcher without the ability to manage pitch selection in a game or handle the pitchers.

But I digress. I don't like picking on the players. This is a coaching problem.
                  Theres a few orgs that have pitches called from the bench. Its not talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Is it unusual for a coach to communicate scouting information to the catcher via signals? So that the catcher is informed on the fly AND has the benefit of knowing what's working at that moment for the pitcher (and what isn't)?
                    The scouting reports were handed out to every player typically a day or two before the game. The catcher definitely looks at it but may not have it memorized. I THINK walker is very big on scouting reports, whereas kemnitz always believed that we pitch to our strenghts and not the batters weakness, unless it was just a completly obvious weakness ( never hits a slider in the dirt)

Comment

I see the reported attendance (paid) for Thursday's Cal Poly game was 1,782. If there really was only about 50 fans at the game last night, most of whom I assume were season ticket holders, then that number would be a good indication of how many season tickets they have sold. If that's the case that is actually higher than I would have expected. Does anyone know how that compares to recent years?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Rumor was that Hooper did not finish his degree at WSU (or anywhere for that matter), and so he was a non-qualifier for the position. This topic has been passed back and forth since then on SN, so who knows what the actual situation is at this point in time.

Otherwise, I think almost all WSU Baseball fans agree with you, if not then, then certainly now.
                        Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I used to feel this way. And I think I was right to at the time. And I think there is still a place for it. However, with all of the advanced data available now that can be much more easily utilized in real time from the dugout, my perception has changed some.
                          Headphones for the pitcher, catcher and dugout pitch caller.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

If they haven't had the "feel" they need to recruit better catchers.

I guess it might be the new normal as this program slides into the abyss.
                            An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                              If they haven't had the "feel" they need to recruit better catchers.

I guess it might be the new normal as this program slides into the abyss.
                              As of right now, who would you have coaching the team - Gene or Butler?
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                As of right now, who would you have coaching the team - Gene or Butler?
                                Bernie Sanders

Comment

Working...
                                X