No announcement yet.

Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the remaining schedule I think the Shocks have a great shot at hitting he magic number 40 this year. Although I wish someone would have explained to Todd Butler that that target was 40 wins.

What is even more depressing their is nothing pointing to things getting better next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      It is pathetic.

When the long term deal was first revealed, it put the final nail in AD Sexton's coffin as far as I am concerned.

What a nightmare? How many more years must be endured? Four?
      Can't argue with that. Hiring mistakes do happen. Even Jim Schaus had a couple (Jane Abright and Mike Perniciaro) but he didn't negotiate break the bank contracts with them either. Contract terms are something that AD can control to a great degree.

Hate to see the Sexton family name tarnished. I have great admiration for Linwood. Eric is a good guy (and a good Shocker) but perhaps hired for a position he was really unqualified to do by both experience and temperament.

Coming into this season I was thinking Coach Butler would get at least 2 more years to show he had the right stuff. As the season has progressed however I am not so sure that will happen or not. I don't see him surviving beyond next season if things continue on their present course. A change at the end of this season I suppose is possible if the AD can raise the money. I have no idea what the prospects for that is.

Comment

There is possible "fools gold" laying ahead. The MVC (at least to this point) is not looking that good with half the league looking on par with WSU. Of course, if he finishes last it might speed up the process.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
          I wonder if Boatright bothered calling or even walking over to Eck Stadium today just to see how things were going.
          I believe part of the problem is that this has some of Boatright's DNA on the decision. Ultimately, the cross is Sexton's to bare but because of Boatright's involvement we may be stuck for the duration.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Anyone know what kind of "guarantee" BK has in his contract? Depending if and what that is could create some real tensions in the dugout.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
              I believe part of the problem is that this has some of Boatright's DNA on the decision. Ultimately, the cross is Sexton's to bare but because of Boatright's involvement we may be stuck for the duration.
              The other part of the problem is that brand had been damaged enough that their No. 1 target didn't see it as better program and used it to the leverage his own contract and resources for his program - thus WSU ended up gambling on a un-proven assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                The other part of the problem is that brand had been damaged enough that their No. 1 target didn't see it as better program and used it to the leverage his own contract and resources for his program - thus WSU ended up gambling on a un-proven assistant coach.
                Was that DBU's head coach? I don't recall for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                  Help me out here, I've got amnesia. Who was the first choice?

Comment

Things certainly have taken a nasty turn, which considering where they've already been the last two seasons, is really nasty indeed.

Years ago when WSU hired Stephenson, he had a terrific resume as an assistant and that was all. (Admittedly, there was also a lot less at stake back then, and the sport was easier and less competitive than it is now.) He had never proven he could do the job as a head man, but he had never proven he couldn't, either.

Butler also had a terrific resume as an assistant, but he had a record of pretty sustained mediocrity as a head coach that could legitimately have raised questions about his prospects as a head coach. So when Sexton played it safe and went with the great assistant's resume and all the glowing references Butler had, he also had to overlook some evidence about him as the guy in charge.

Hindsight is easy, and sometimes things can turn -- it took quite a while for Augie Garrido to right the ship at Texas after he replaced Gustafson; look at the records -- but right now this does not look like one of Sexton's better decisions as AD.

Edit: Are you referring to Brad Hill at K-State, SB? I know he was a favorite of the previous Shocker regime, that their recommendation was a plus for his getting the job at KSU, and that he specifically disclaimed any interest in the WSU job early on in the post-Gene days. (He also had the opposite resume from Butler: enormous success as a head coach, although not "at this level.")
                    Last edited by WSUwatcher; March 23, 2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Yep, Dan Heefner.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        There is possible "fools gold" laying ahead. The MVC (at least to this point) is not looking that good with half the league looking on par with WSU. Of course, if he finishes last it might speed up the process.
                        MVC's current RPI rankings per WarrenNolan.com

_50 MSU (18-2) - SOS 223
                        _86 DBU (14-6) - SOS 128
                        _98 INS (13-8) - SOS 175
                        161 BRA (9-7) - SOS 245
                        171 EVN (8-10) - SOS 189
                        179 SIU (12-7-1) - SOS 248
                        239 ILS (7-13) - SOS 236
                        248 WSU (6-14) - SOS 200

Their are a total of 300 D-1 baseball programs. The Shocks are well within the bottom 20% based on RPI at this point.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Has anyone ever given any thought to what kind of pitching coach Shane Dennis would make. No coaching experience as far as I know. 5 years in the minors with his last year as AAA Las Vegas in the PCL.

I think he understands the art of pitching and how to get batters out. Whether or not he can communicate that knowledge effectively is hard to say nor do I have a clue if this would be anything he would be interested in doing.

Comment

Schedule a game with tabor. Winning coach gets to be WSU's coach.

Sexton's negotiating ability seeems to be to take advice from the coach's legal team. Find out what the4y want and then give it to them. Make sure they know that's how he's going in to the negotiations. Adams also has a contract that kind of guarantees she can't be fired.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Yes - the DBU coach. At the last moment before he was suppose to come to wichita he pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                Things certainly have taken a nasty turn, which considering where they've already been the last two seasons, is really nasty indeed.

Years ago when WSU hired Stephenson, he had a terrific resume as an assistant and that was all. (Admittedly, there was also a lot less at stake back then, and the sport was easier and less competitive than it is now.) He had never proven he could do the job as a head man, but he had never proven he couldn't, either.

Butler also had a terrific resume as an assistant, but he had a record of pretty sustained mediocrity as a head coach that could legitimately have raised questions about his prospects as a head coach. So when Sexton played it safe and went with the great assistant's resume and all the glowing references Butler had, he also had to overlook some evidence about him as the guy in charge.

Hindsight is easy, and sometimes things can turn -- it took quite a while for Augie Garrido to right the ship at Texas after he replaced Gustafson; look at the records -- but right now this does not look like one of Sexton's better decisions as AD.

Edit: Are you referring to Brad Hill at K-State, SB? I know he was a favorite of the previous Shocker regime, that their recommendation was a plus for his getting the job at KSU, and that he specifically disclaimed any interest in the WSU job early on in the post-Gene days. (He also had the opposite resume from Butler: enormous success as a head coach, although not "at this level.")
                                . When Gene was hired he wasn't given a 7 year contract. And paid $300K per year. He was given a MONTH TO MONTH contract and was paid $1000 per month. A huge difference. In fact, Gene had to win a national championship before he could get a significant pay raise.

Comment

Working...
                                X