Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Scooter be named permanent head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
    Will this level of performance be an acceptable level moving forward? This I am not as sure.
    Not, if it is the norm. Shocks finished 30-25 and were 2 and 'que in the AAC Tournament. Move 5 wins from the loss column to the win column and having some somewhat regular visits to the NCAA Tournament as the norm would be acceptable to me. Can't speak for the general fan base, but I suspect that would be generally acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not, if it is the norm. Shocks finished 30-25 and were 2 and 'que in the AAC Tournament. Move 5 wins from the loss column to the win column and having some somewhat regular visits to the NCAA Tournament as the norm would be acceptable to me. Can't speak for the general fan base, but I suspect that would be generally acceptable.
      Is that a level of performance you believe the current staff can achieve? 35 wins and somewhat regular NCAA Tournament appearances would be solid.

If so, then you make Hibbs the permanent head coach.

Comment

Is that a level of performance you believe the current staff can achieve? 35 wins and somewhat regular NCAA Tournament appearances would be solid.

If so, then you make Hibbs the permanent head coach.
        The question is what I think but what does ADKS think and I certainly don't speak for him. I would guess that kind of performance would be acceptable to ADKS. Whether or not he thinks Scooter is the guy to get that done I don't know. If you asked that question after the ECU series you probably would have gotten a yes. But after stumbling to 6-10 finish including 2 and out in the AAC Tournament, I don't know. Especially considering 9 players received AAC post-season honors including POY and 5 first-teamers.

Apparently, we have a very good recruiting class coming in and Austin Henry, who was injured this year is supposed to be a stud on the mound. OTOH, we will almost assuredly lose Brock Rodden and Chuck Ingram to the draft in addition to several guys who earned degrees this year who may or may not return next year including Garrett Pennington, Clark Candiotti, Kyte McDonald and Matt Boyer.

Comment

Baseball is not like basketball. I’ve said many times, due to how scholarships work, you have to be in on kids early and have the degree programs with academic scholarships available. It takes 4 years to start building a funnel. Mike and Mike just finished their 4th full year.

Our top players are very very good. But we didn’t have much depth when injuries/minor knocks happened. Those missing pieces cost us games. Let’s say 5 switch from loss to win with depth.

Depth is on the way if you allow this coaching staff to continue. Scooter was a coup of a DOBO, and stepped in during a rough stretch. They are a couple pieces away from being special, and two of those didn’t see the mound due to injuries this year.

If you make a change, the cycle breaks and we start again.

I’ve thought a lot about it, and believe keeping Scooter is best for this program with a university friendly contract with heavy incentives built in to make it beneficial for Coach Hibbs as well.

Comment

Yeah basketball being a fully funded sport with 13 full scholarships while baseball is a head count sport with only 11.7 scholarships to divide up among, at most 27 players on a 35-man roster allowance plus throw in the MLB draft which is much more of a factor than the NBA draft is for most college programs and you really aren't comparing apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              Baseball is not like basketball. I’ve said many times, due to how scholarships work, you have to be in on kids early and have the degree programs with academic scholarships available. It takes 4 years to start building a funnel. Mike and Mike just finished their 4th full year.

Our top players are very very good. But we didn’t have much depth when injuries/minor knocks happened. Those missing pieces cost us games. Let’s say 5 switch from loss to win with depth.

Depth is on the way if you allow this coaching staff to continue. Scooter was a coup of a DOBO, and stepped in during a rough stretch. They are a couple pieces away from being special, and two of those didn’t see the mound due to injuries this year.

If you make a change, the cycle breaks and we start again.

I’ve thought a lot about it, and believe keeping Scooter is best for this program with a university friendly contract with heavy incentives built in to make it beneficial for Coach Hibbs as well.
              So in other words, you’re not worried?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If the staff returns, and produce a season in 2024 similar to that of 2023 (maybe even a few more wins), how would the fanbase respond?

Did the staff do a solid job with the hand dealt? Yes.

Will this level of performance be an acceptable level moving forward? This I am not as sure.
                Agree and NO.

Comment

I have heard rumors of players hitting the portal already - not seen a confirmation officially.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    I have heard rumors of players hitting the portal already - not seen a confirmation officially.
                    Who?

Comment

Portal doesn’t officially open until the 30th but yeah, there are going to be some names in the portal, as there will be every year in the foreseeable future.

Comment

The portal is open and active to some players at this point. That’s is correct that it’s not open to most but some qualify for early entry.

Comment

Players who aren’t playing will transfer to get playing time.

Those who are getting playing time will transfer to programs that are performing better.

The transfers will happen.

Comment

Indiana State is hosting a regional this year and we are at home for the 10th year in a row. I know I'm living in the past, but that is tough to swallow.

I have no idea how to fix this outside of hiring a proven winner. We don't have the money for that so the decision to retain Scooter comes down to why he wants the job. Does he have a fire in his belly to right this ship or is he looking for a job to take him into retirement? I have zero connections these days, but considering how and why he left Charlotte makes me question the fire.

Comment

Loren is a career 55% winning percentage. Don’t know how that fits into your equation.

What I do know is that I haven’t seen him earlier this year, there is a fire that wasn’t there his last few years at UNCC.

The player pipeline is filling up. ACMS and PCMP have done a great job this year.

But I think your real concern is how long iHCLH wants to continue to coach. Is it 3 years? Is it 10 years?

If ADKS doesn’t think it’s 10 years, then what would be his succession plan? Would ACMS or PCMP want to/be ready to take over?

There are so many variables in play, but I can’t help but feel how we performed down the stretch will play at least some into ADKS decision.

I know enough about ADKS enough to know this, he did his homework this year, and you have to know he put out feelers through intermediaries. He has set his standard for hiring coaches. They must have experience running a program. They have to have proven themselves a winner at the highest level.

I still think HCLH is the right choice for right now based on what I know. But there are things I don’t know.

Comment

Hibbs and Saal are meeting today, maybe we will know something later today.
                                An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Working...
                                X