X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Also came across this interview with Hunter Carlson:

Q&A with Wichita State Commit Hunter Carlson (prepbaseballreport.com)

Reading that makes me think he'll be our backup catcher this fall and that we're unlikely to bring in anyone else at this point. They seem good with Logan as the bullpen/emergency C.

Looks he could be a adequate replacement for Alex Birge. Both bat left, but in watching the hitting highlights of Carlson he seems like he may be more willing and able to use the entire field than Alex did who seemed like a dead pull hitter. I thought Alex might have a really good year with the Shocks this past season but he just could not get it going at the plate. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs. I hope he does well at Cal. Seems like a really good young man.

Comment

I'm counting in excess of 50 kids currently planning on being at fall practice. I think that number must be trimmed to 40 or so by the start of 2nd semester. For what it's worth.
      I was thinking about this a issue of loading up on players and it occurred to me that another factor contributing to this becoming even more prevalent was MLB's decision to significantly reduce the foot print of their minor leagues. Right now the supply of guys who want to give it a go and continue playing beyond high school seems to definitely exceed the demand.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I was thinking about this a issue of loading up on players and it occurred to me that another factor contributing to this becoming even more prevalent was MLB's decision to significantly reduce the foot print of their minor leagues. Right now the supply of guys who want to give it a go and continue playing beyond high school seems to definitely exceed the demand.
        I read recently that less than 1% of HS kids make a D! team. Only 20 rounds in the draft, 24 year old's still playing plus portal moves makes it's very tough. I also saw at least one SEC team will have 70 kids in the fall. College baseball is basically the minors and more cut throat than ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

I read recently that less than 1% of HS kids make a D! team. Only 20 rounds in the draft, 24 year old's still playing plus portal moves makes it's very tough. I also saw at least one SEC team will have 70 kids in the fall. College baseball is basically the minors and more cut throat than ever.
          At this point the best route for a high school kid may very well be the Juco route. At least they might get an opportunity to showcase their skills and attract the attention of 4-year programs. If you're a Juco program is there any reason to start signing kids until the end of fall ball.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 10, 2024, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• A bit of a separate item, and maybe I saw it here or read it elsewhere, but I've recently seen more references to lack of baseball IQ showing up all the up to the MLB level. What I read was putting some blame on the fact that youth baseball has become oriented very heavily on showcase travel ball, which puts the emphasis far and away on just hitting and pitching. Gotta get that exit velo, launch angle, pitch velo, and spin rate! What gets lost? How to handle baserunning situations, fielding schemes, etc.

I saw a clip where the Yankees lost a run in a really dumb way. Runners at 1st and 3rd, one out. A quick chopper was hit to the first baseman right at first base, and he stepped on the bag to get the second out. He then threw to the shortstop near 2nd, who tagged out the runner from 1st since there was no longer a force on him. But the runner on 3rd just jogged down the line instead of running, and didn't cross home plate till after the runner on 1st was tagged for the third out. Had he been running just a little harder, he could have scored the run.

Yankees Avenue | Really bad baseball. Anthony Volpe slows up running home and doesn’t score before DJ (who should gotten into a legitimate rundown) gets… | Instagram
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• I know its not quite the same, but I saw some evidence of that at AUX. Certain infielders didn't appear to know the infield fly rule. Then failed to make a tag at second when the runners advanced. I saw this happen twice. I'm not sure rules fundamentals are addressed much with players, of any age.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                A bit of a separate item, and maybe I saw it here or read it elsewhere, but I've recently seen more references to lack of baseball IQ showing up all the up to the MLB level.
                It's not just the players, it's also the fans showing reduced baseball IQ! How many times have we seen our Shocker baseball team at home -- only down by one point -- and they walk out on the pitch in the final 7th inning and the fans just balk at the referee the entire time about how he isn't wearing blue!?!?

"COME ON, BLUE!!" "GET IN THE GAME, BLUE!!"

Are those fans really that stupid?!? Can't they see he decided to wear black?!? He's not going to change in the middle of a game, people!!!
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It's not just the players, it's also the fans showing reduced baseball IQ! How many times have we seen our Shocker baseball team at home -- only down by one point -- and they walk out on the pitch in the final 7th inning and the fans just balk at the referee the entire time about how he isn't wearing blue!?!?

"COME ON, BLUE!!" "GET IN THE GAME, BLUE!!"

Are those fans really that stupid?!? Can't they see he decided to wear black?!? He's not going to change in the middle of a game, people!!!
                  My wife gets mad at me for correcting her when she says “points”. It’s one of the bigger “points” of contention in our marriage.

Comment

• Comment

• Nice play, not the strongest of throws though....but perfectly placed and tag applied.

Comment

Nice play, not the strongest of throws though....but perfectly placed and tag applied.
                        The accuracy was probably the best thing about the throw. Didn't seem to be playing real deep but did get to the ball quickly, and got rid of it very quickly (might have been the key) to get the runner from 2nd, who with 2 outs had a good lead and was off with the crack of the bat. All-around a very nice play.

Comment

• Owen Washburn, the Tech transfer, has committed via our Twitter account.

Without doing any digging seems by far the most established addition yet.

Comment

• I've been waiting on this announcement for so long I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen. I believe he has a brother too, perhaps a twin, at TT that's also in the portal.

Which is interesting. Their father was a big leaguer and a damn good one if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

• Social media stalking strikes again. This should be a good signing

Comment

I've been waiting on this announcement for so long I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen. I believe he has a brother too, perhaps a twin, at TT that's also in the portal.

Which is interesting. Their father was a big leaguer and a damn good one if memory serves me correctly.
                                Is this his dad? Jarrod Washburn Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

Comment

Working...
                                X