This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
    Noticed a new signing. Catcher/infielder transfer from University of Arizona. Only played in 2 games
    337 likes, 54 comments - cole_dillon11 on August 13, 2024: "Thank you to everyone in my corner, excited for what’s to come".

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/b...e-dillon/15859
    I don't know how good the kid is. But his dad spent 13 years mostly in the Minors, and portions of 4 of those years in MLB as a utility player.

Joe Dillon (played baseball at Texas Tech where one season he hit 33 homers) has been the Hitting Coach for the Phillies, and currently is an Asst. Hitting Coach for the KC Royals.

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals added another hitting voice to the dugout by hiring Joe Dillon as their assistant hitting coach on Thursday, the team announced. Dillon will join hitting coach Alec Zumwalt and fellow assistant hitting coach Keoni DeRenne in guiding the Royals’ Major League hitters. Manager Matt Quatraro

Comment

• I'd be surprised if he makes the team. No, stunned.

Comment

• We have a lot of pitchers this fall. Will need 4 catchers to get all the bullpens in.

I think we will have 55ish players at fall camp. Will be a lot of kids hitting the portal at semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old School "Shocker" View Post
          We have a lot of pitchers this fall. Will need 4 catchers to get all the bullpens in.

I think we will have 55ish players at fall camp. Will be a lot of kids hitting the portal at semester.
          So is that when the low-majors, D-II's, and Jucos load up their rosters.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I'd be surprised if he makes the team. No, stunned.
            I don’t doubt you, but isn’t it a success to recruit the son of a MLB hitting coach, who was a good hitter? LOL

Comment

• Wheat woody this morning? IDK

I caught HCBG on Bob and Jeff the other day. Frankly, very mundane interview (I blame Bob and Jeff) with little substance. Brian did mention 48 on the fall roster and 3-5 injuries (no idea if the injuries are included in that roster number or not, nor was there any hint as to who may be injured).

Also no mention of the 2 arms he teased last week (or week before?) that he couldn't comment on at the time. Fall games will include a mid September trip to Nebraska to play the Huskers and DBU here in October. No mention of any scrimmages or Fall World Series but I suspect that will come later. I think Brian said that there will be no 5 game weeks once conference starts (could have misunderstood that).

Lots of props to the returners, both guys that have graduated (Stroh and Favors especially) and Rogers and Millan who are back for another season. Expectations, external and especially within the program, will be elevated for 2025. This team expects to be in a regional and still playing next June.

Comment

Wheat woody this morning? IDK
                May or may not be Class of 2024. At least I have no way of knowing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old School "Shocker" View Post
                  We have a lot of pitchers this fall. Will need 4 catchers to get all the bullpens in.

Terrible way to run a program in my opinion. Selfish and lazy of the coaches to keep that many kids in limbo of their future. I hope these kids knew these numbers going in. Could end a lot of careers because the coaches can't develop what they have but would rather just find the next shiny thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSB4LF View Post

Terrible way to run a program in my opinion. Selfish and lazy of the coaches to keep that many kids in limbo of their future. I hope these kids knew these numbers going in. Could end a lot of careers because the coaches can't develop what they have but would rather just find the next shiny thing.
                    Two way street. Kids have no reason to have loyalty and rosters can completely turn over every single year. It's the wild west. I don't like it either, but I don't like it either way.

It's a business, for the schools, coaches and student athletes.

Comment

• Brian mentioned on the radio that they had 48 kids this fall. That's a few less than I had on a list, but I have no idea. Some kids I'm sure are injured and or planning to redshirt.

That being said, getting to 34 next year will be so difficult. Not sure how you can do it.

Comment

Brian mentioned on the radio that they had 48 kids this fall. That's a few less than I had on a list, but I have no idea. Some kids I'm sure are injured and or planning to redshirt.
                        Or some guys saw the writing on the wall and made last minute changes to their plans. Perhaps heading to Juco. An area our coaches seem to have good connections to help some of these kids find a spot and perhaps to sign them on again in a year of two.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        That being said, getting to 34 next year will be so difficult. Not sure how you can do it.
                        It will be interesting to see if the roster limits stay at that level to allow for some walk-ons Although funding those additional 22.3 scholarships should the Shocks chose to use them won't be easy either.

Comment

Two way street. Kids have no reason to have loyalty and rosters can completely turn over every single year. It's the wild west. I don't like it either, but I don't like it either way.

It's a business, for the schools, coaches and student athletes.
                          Agreed. It is a business. But you see other programs that are able to be successful without ruining a kids' future. A buddy's kid committed to Tennessee. Good ball player or wouldn't have been recruited and signed by them. Didn't make the fall cuts at Tennessee and gave up the game altogether. I'd be hard pressed to sleep well at night knowing I'm taking that away from a kid.

Comment

Agreed. It is a business. But you see other programs that are able to be successful without ruining a kids' future. A buddy's kid committed to Tennessee. Good ball player or wouldn't have been recruited and signed by them. Didn't make the fall cuts at Tennessee and gave up the game altogether. I'd be hard pressed to sleep well at night knowing I'm taking that away from a kid.
                            It's possible that kid was done, though. If he has been playing travel ball for years, doing that grind with the expectation of high rewards, then not making that level may have been straw that broke the burnout camel's back. Several years ago, there was a family we are friends with whose son got a full baseball scholarship to FHSU, and ended up declining it because with all the years of travel ball plus high school baseball, he was completely burned out. I'm glad his parents supported his decision even though it meant his college education now was going to need to be paid for. I always hope that kids who don't make the cut at a certain level can find their place if they want to continue. For many, that D2 or D3 or NAIA school is really the better fit.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yeah, I don't think many coaches, at least the good ones, are known for a soft heart. It certainly wouldn't be for me. I couldn't stand to disappoint a kid like that.

Comment

• Title IX has forced baseball to take advantage of kids for years, and that's a shame.

But I have basically zero sympathy for NCAA athletes writ large. They asked for to play for money and to be free agents at all times. There are consequences to that system.

Comment

Working...
                                X