Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In his first 7 appearances of last year Mulamekic pitched 13 innings giving up 20 runs (all earned) on 22 hits, 16 walks and 4 hit by pitches while striking out 13 for and ERA of 13.85 and a WHHIP (includes HBP's) of 3.23. Pretty much in line with his 14.44 ERA and 12.57 ERA as a freshman and sophomore.

Over his last 7 appearances of last year Mulamekic pitched 40.2 innings giving up 20 runs (17 earned) on 34 hits, 26 walks and 5 hit by pitches while striking out of 45 for and ERA of 3.76 and a WHHIP of 1.60. So a big improvement in the 2nd half of the year. The free passes while better are still somewhat elevated but he increased his K/BB ratio from 0.65 in the first 7 appearances to 1.50 in his final 7 appearances.

His best stretch of games were 3 games against Niagara and Fairfield, the top 2 teams in the MAAC and the Jaspers of Manhattan late in the season. In those 3 games he pitched 21.1 innings giving up 4 runs (all earned) on 13 hits, 11 walks and no hit by pitches while striking out 24 for and ERA of 1.69 and a WHHIP of 1.13.

The Niagara game late in the season was his best outing of the season. He pitched 8.1 scoreless, 2 hit innings while striking out 8 and walking 3.

As you can tell I am searching for the reason the Shocks were interested in this pitcher. I guess the question is what accounted for his big improvement in the last half of his 3rd season over the previous 2.5 seasons at Sienna? Perhaps there is something there to build on.

Comment

• I think it’s going to be 55-60 kids in the fall and a big tryout. Go compete and HCBG will pick to top guys. The rest will hit the portal. Fun times!

Comment

• Originally posted by Old School "Shocker" View Post
        I think it’s going to be 55-60 kids in the fall and a big tryout. Go compete and HCBG will pick to top guys. The rest will hit the portal. Fun times!
        Yep, the players wanted the ease of transferring at will with no consequences but there are usually some side effects. At least the NCAA gives them another 15 day window to enter the portal in December.

Comment

• Woody signal.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Yep, the players wanted the ease of transferring at will with no consequences but there are usually some side effects. At least the NCAA gives them another 15 day window to enter the portal in December.
            I don't think this is really so much a consequence of the portal. I think this has been pretty common practice in baseball for 25+ years. Gene just didn't really subscribe to it, right or wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I don't think this is really so much a consequence of the portal. I think this has been pretty common practice in baseball for 25+ years. Gene just didn't really subscribe to it, right or wrong.
              You are right. That is how we ended up with McKeever, when OState let him go.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                Woody signal.
                Hopefully it is a catcher or Austin Henry.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You are right. That is how we ended up with McKeever, when OState let him go.
                  Talk about your all-time backfires, lol

Comment

That's true to a degree but I think the ease of transferring these days makes it even easier to load up with 50 players and then try to sort them in fall ball. I suspect this one reason the NCAA put the 15-day transfer window for spring sports. Otherwise, you would have a plethora of over-recruited and recruited-over athletes hung out to dry for a season. Baseball seems to be by far the worst for over recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That's true to a degree but I think the ease of transferring these days makes it even easier to load up with 50 players and then try to sort them in fall ball. I suspect this one reason the NCAA put the 15-day transfer window for spring sports. Otherwise, you would have a plethora of over-recruited and recruited-over athletes hung out to dry for a season. Baseball seems to be by far the worst for over recruiting.
                      This seems like one of those problems that could resolve itself with a dose of personal accountability. If Florida State wants to have a 60-man Fall Ball tryout every year, you are welcome to take your chances. If you don't make it, tough luck, try again next year. Or maybe you could choose to go to a different school that isn't doing that every year and has given you assurances you'll get a chance to play. All of the sudden the playing field starts to even back out. You know, like it was supposed to.

But accountability isn't real high on anyone's list this century, so we keep trying to invent workarounds (which usually make things worse) and then litigate our way through anything else that happened that we didn't like.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Hopefully it is a catcher or Austin Henry.
                        Correct.

Almost has to be a backup catcher or a substantial pitcher, imho. Austin Henry, if healthy, would fit that bill.

Comment

This seems like one of those problems that could resolve itself with a dose of personal accountability. If Florida State wants to have a 60-man Fall Ball tryout every year, you are welcome to take your chances. If you don't make it, tough luck, try again next year. Or maybe you could choose to go to a different school that isn't doing that every year and has given you assurances you'll get a chance to play. All of the sudden the playing field starts to even back out. You know, like it was supposed to.

But accountability isn't real high on anyone's list this century, so we keep trying to invent workarounds (which usually make things worse) and then litigate our way through anything else that happened that we didn't like.
                          For what it's worth, I have us at 50 right now. And that's with 6 (I think) exhausting their D1 eligibility and 11 more transfers.

Correction: 48, & 13 more transfers. I show Rice and Harris now in the portal. I am not counting Zayas and Johnson as I believe they will end up at D2 or lower and are out of D1 eligibility.
                          Last edited by WuDrWu; 4 hours ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

For what it's worth, I have us at 50 right now. And that's with 6 (I think) exhausting their D1 eligibility and 11 more transfers.
                            Yep. We are definitely in that group now. And it is what it is. The NCAA is enabling it at this point, and you have no chance if you don't partake. Instead of hard-lining (and fixing scholly issues...) which would have helped fix the problem, the NCAA is making it as easy as possible for the tryouts to happen with no consequences for anyone. Which benefits the SEC and that's about it.

I'll get off my soapbox, I've polluted this thread enough.

Interested to see who this Woody is for.
                            Last edited by Cdizzle; 4 hours ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X