No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not trying to say you guys should be worried about losing him, just that there is some possibility that he may be interested in the job since he grew up in the area and was a Gamecock fan when he was little as has been well discussed.

There are many other HC's reportedly interested in the job, so I'm not trying to suggest Marshall is the only possible candidate and that he will leave for home

Comment

• To the extent that the WSU coaching staff reads this board (if at all), I'm sure that it generates strong amusement and mirth. None of us have a clue. I am just going to enjoy sitting in the Arena in Portland watching WSU beat our good friend VCU.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
        To the extent that the WSU coaching staff reads this board (if at all), I'm sure that it generates strong amusement and mirth. None of us have a clue. I am just going to enjoy sitting in the Arena in Portland watching WSU beat our good friend VCU.
        I'm jealous
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by gococks2014 View Post
          lol what? We just finished the football season ranked 9th in the nation in the best football conference, and have won back-to-back titles in baseball. I'm not sure if you made a mistake or are really trying to say we aren't a sports university, but we definitely are.

I apologize for the bad impression you've gotten from our fans on our other boards and from the trolls on here. Like any fan base, we have our good and bad. I'm here to try and have a good discussion on coach Marshall and you all's opinions on the matter.

I also think it's unfair to call our fans "fair weather". Our football program holds the longest losing streak in NCAA history in the 1998-1999 seasons, going 0-21. During that streak, our home football games were sold out nearly each time. The fans here are great and have gone through a lot of heartbreak over the years, winning our first men's title in any sport just 2 years ago in men's baseball. With the baseball team making history, and our football team just finishing the best year ever at SC, our basketball program has become majorly overlooked, moreso than ever before. It's hard to be interested in the sport when every other big men's sports are making history and basketball is continuing to go downhill.

We need a coach who can try and right this ship, and although we've never been a particularly great program in basketball, we'd like a coach who could get us to competing and winning some games again. Many fans feel that the man to do this is your head coach, and as a fan of WSU I'd feel honored by that. We wouldn't want him if we didn't notice how good he's done here for your program.

Hopefully we can call a truce from the trolling and trash talking and have a reasonable discussion about if/where your coach may go. Also, I have you guys in the sweet 16 in my bracket so I will be pulling for y'all. Good luck in the tourney, and thanks in advance for any information you can pass our way.
          Good post, up to the "and as a fan of WSU I'd feel honored by that". Just why do you think we'd be honored by that? Fact: If Gregg Marshall wasn't from around there and hadn't coach at Winthrop, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Good post, up to the "and as a fan of WSU I'd feel honored by that". Just why do you think we'd be honored by that? Fact: If Gregg Marshall wasn't from around there and hadn't coach at Winthrop, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
            Him being from the area is the main attraction, but if he didn't have your program where it is now, I doubt we'd be as interested as we are. What he's done at your school reassures that he is a great coach and what happened at Winthrop wasn't just a fluke. Just trying to make some positive out of this for y'alls perspective

Comment

• Here's a list of coaches USC should choose from. Lorenzo Romar, Mike Montgomery, Dana Altman, Sean Miller, Ben Howland, Johnny Dawkins, Craig Robinson, Ken Bone, Herb Sendek, Larry Krystowiak and Kevin O'Neill. They are all well rested for the rebuilding job as they all took the last year off.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                Here's a list of coaches USC should choose from. Lorenzo Romar, Mike Montgomery, Dana Altman, Sean Miller, Ben Howland, Johnny Dawkins, Craig Robinson, Ken Bone, Herb Sendek, Larry Krystowiak and Kevin O'Neill. They are all well rested for the rebuilding job as they all took the last year off.
                I'm sure some of those names are on our AD's list, as there is a large pool of names we are working with

Comment

• Originally posted by USCgamecockboy View Post
                  LOL. ok. lmao
                  so you agree your a festering turd.....do you wear overalls?

Comment

• Marshall coaches his top recruiting class next year. WSU is a "program". I do t know about Shocker Smart, or anybody else. But feel good about WSU & HCGM this fall.
                    Phi Alpha

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                      To the extent that the WSU coaching staff reads this board (if at all), I'm sure that it generates strong amusement and mirth. None of us have a clue. I am just going to enjoy sitting in the Arena in Portland watching WSU beat our good friend VCU.

Coach reads this board almost religiously.

Comment

• South Carolina basketball is the Nebraska of the south as far as basketball goes. I doubt any of us here are worried about Marshall jumping to Nebraska. The possibility of him wanting to go back home is concerning and there's nothing we can do about that. We are a 5 seed in the tourney and Marshall has the best recruiting class of his career coming in next year. I'd be much more worried if UCLA fires Howland.

Comment

• Originally posted by USCgamecockboy View Post
                          lol . that is too funny.
                          Your screen name is funny.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                            South Carolina basketball is the Nebraska of the south as far as basketball goes. I doubt any of us here are worried about Marshall jumping to Nebraska. The possibility of him wanting to go back home is concerning and there's nothing we can do about that. We are a 5 seed in the tourney and Marshall has the best recruiting class of his career coming in next year. I'd be much more worried if UCLA fires Howland.
                            Agreed. South Carolina is career suicide. It is a basketball hell. Zero spotlight. Third fiddle. No tradition. Little support.

I'd be more concerned about South Carolina State.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              Angry? That was probably the best thought out retort to somebody from another team on this board.
                              Why thank you.

I got a nice PM from him, too, that was pretty well along the same lines. Except he tried shots at FSU as well, which was cute.

I think he just wanted to prove my point about SEC fans primarily being football fans that didn't go to the colleges they support.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by gococks2014 View Post
                                lol what? We just finished the football season ranked 9th in the nation in the best football conference, and have won back-to-back titles in baseball. I'm not sure if you made a mistake or are really trying to say we aren't a sports university, but we definitely are.
                                Well, regardless of ranking, you were the fifth best team in arguably the best conference in football. It's interesting to me that the second best team in one of the SEC divisions could be the best team in the country, and the fifth best team in the conference, and the second best team in the SEC's weakest division, could be the 9th best team in the country.

That said, how dare you interrupt that guy's trolling with a well reasoned, intelligent post.

I don't see him ever going to USC. But if he does, he will do so to be close to home, friends, and family. I won't like it, but that's a pretty respectable reason to go somewhere, and I'll wish him and you guys all the best.
                                Last edited by Rlh04d; March 15, 2012, 02:30 AM.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X