No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall gets $900K plus $125K (or $150K) per year at WSU is what I recall. (I could be wrong.)
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I m sure Boobie Lutz will be first in line at the next presser to ask the hard hitting question.....Stir it up Boob!!!!

Comment

Why worry. It's pretty much out of our control anyway.

Comment

On shockernet.net, they're bashing Carolina pretty bad. Bad job...no one here cares about basketball...Gamecock fans only care about football...Marshall would be stupid to take the job. Geez...NONE of those are true. The team has sucked for a few years, but when we're winning, and 18,000 people are packed into CLA (which was happening just 3 years ago), there aren't many better atmohpheres in college basketball. I'd venture to say that ANY SEC job is better than a Missouri Valley job. (I even had to look up what conference they were in...not sure I've even heard of the Missour Valley conference)
          The quoted text below http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missour...by_institution is for the Gamecock fans who visit here but don't recognize the "second oldest Division I collegiate athletic conference." What do they teach people in South Carolina? :stupid:

Founded in 1907 as the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MVIAA), the MVC is the nation's second oldest Division I collegiate athletic conference. However, some consider the MVC to have been formed from a split of the MVIAA in 1928. Most of the larger MVIAA schools formed a conference that retained the MVIAA name and would ultimately become the Big Eight Conference. The smaller schools, plus Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State University, which ultimately [re]joined the Big Eight in 1957), formed the MVC. During the Big Eight's existence, both conferences claimed 1907 as their founding date, as well as the same history through 1927. It has never been definitively established which conference is the original and which is the spin-off.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

1 mil can buy a lot of burgers. 2.5 mil can buy a lot of burgers. It's the home issue that is the biggie. He is going to earn more and more money each year here. I don't have any idea what weighs on a coach's mind when contemplating a move. But going back home to family has got to be big. I would not want to start to rebuild a school like USC all the while climbing up hill against the SEC. I might want to leave if I thought that WSU can't continue to climb or be sustained at the top. Is the league in a death spiral due to conference reallignmnet? Who knows. But coach has a great job here. If he leaves I wish him the best. But it just doesn't seem like this decision would be a no brainer.

Go Shox! We are a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament! I can't wait!

Comment

At WSU he can win and win big. He gets paid very well. Close to 1.5 mil and going up every year. He has top of the line facilities and fan support. Private charters everywhere and gets just about anything he wants.

SC is a poor job, pay won't be much more. Basketball isn't the priority there like it is here. They rarely compete for their conference title and that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon. And to the fool who thinks any SEC job is better than this one knows little to nothing about basketball. Marshall has turned down Big East and ACC jobs already as well as Big 10.

South Carolina shouldn't concern any of us. It's wishful thinking on their part.

Some Shocker fans will fret over every little job that pops up. You guys are going to ruin your health and miss out if every job opening concerns you.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by KG67 View Post
                Although I have no inside info on whether GM is coming to South Carolina, if they offer and money is an issue for him then it is a no brainer. The AD made it clear that he would be paying a LOT more money than he paid Horn. I spoke with someone who normally knows what he is talking about and although he would not say who they were going after, he did say paying over 2mil a year was very likely to happen. GM only makes $900,000 now. That would more than double his salary and he has stated more than one time that he would love to coach at South Carolina.
                I take it that you are a South Carolina fan?

Comment

Here is the South Carolina press conference if anyone is interested:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Darrin horn thought it was a great job four years ago. So did Eddie Fogler prior to that. Apparently a lot of currently unemployed coaches really liked that job.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                      Darrin horn thought it was a great job four years ago. So did Eddie Fogler prior to that. Apparently a lot of currently unemployed coaches really liked that job.
                      Now that's funny.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

SC is a coaching career killer. End of story. I cannot imagine how Marshall would take being fired from anywhere and at SC, you are hired to be fired. Why would you set yourself up for that unless you were ready to retire the day they fire you, the latest fallen angel in a long line of fallen angels.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                          SC is a coaching career killer. End of story. I cannot imagine how Marshall would take being fired from anywhere and at SC, you are hired to be fired. Why would you set yourself up for that unless you were ready to retire the day they fire you, the latest fallen angel in a long line of fallen angels.
                          But it's a BCS school....

Has to be better than anything in the Michigan Hilly conference.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I'd be careful making light of the USC job. We are a Gregg Marshall's decision to go back east away, from having to start from scratch and being turned back into a program that we are eluding to what USC is now. It was a short 4 and 5 years ago when this program was a irrelevant. Thanks to GM building it back up, we can now relish in the spoils he has brought but IMO, USC is a sleeping giant and is that 'one' coach away from being an SEC power. I really hope however, GM breaks the cycle and stays here in ICT.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              I'm not worried.
                              Ditto!

Yes, I worry more than I should, however I'm not worried about coach Marshall leaving. :friendly_wink:
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                I'd be careful making light of the USC job. We are a Gregg Marshall's decision to go back east away, from having to start from scratch and being turned back into a program that we are eluding to what USC is now. It was a short 4 and 5 years ago when this program was a irrelevant. Thanks to GM building it back up, we can now relish in the spoils he has brought but IMO, USC is a sleeping giant and is that 'one' coach away from being an SEC power. I really hope however, GM breaks the cycle and stays here in ICT.
                                Hmmm, so you're saying Turgeon's '06 or even '07 teams were "irrelevant"? I'll bet Marshall didn't think we were irrelevant or his a$$ would have stayed in the SE.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X