Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
    ESPN Insider's "Rumors":

"With Darrin Horn fired today by South Carolina, expect the Gamecocks to do everything they can to land Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. Marshall, the Missouri Valley Conference coach of the year this season after leading the Shockers to a 27-5 record, was highly coveted last offseason and turned down the NC State opening to remain at Wichita State. Just speculating here, but the South Carolina job could be tough to pass up. Marshall has extensive South Carolina roots. He was born there, served as an assistant at the College of Charleston and was the head coach at Winthrop before moving to Wichita State. In our estimation, he is candidate 1, 1a and 1b for the Gamecocks. - Joe Kaiser

Also

"Of all the candidates we mentioned yesterday, Brian Rosenthal of the Lincoln Journal Star writes that Ohio's John Croce could make a lot of sense. Interestingly, Rosenthal also mentions Wichita State's Gregg Marshall as a possible candidate. Marshall's availability could hing on whether South Carolina opts to make a coaching change, as has been rumored. Per Rosenthal, if South Carolina retains coach Darrin Horn, "Nebraska could be in the Marshall mix." - Matt Giles
    The same Nubby team WSU beat by 40 last year? Nebraska was a career killer when they were in the B12 and that job will be a career killer in the BIG....Hey maybe HCGM will leave to take another job in the next 2-5 years. He might even make a big mistake and take the USC job this year......but Nebraska never!!!!!!

Comment

I'm gonna have my wife bake him and Lynn some cookies. They'll be a lock in Wicheetah for a good 3-4 years after that.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Creighton is a better job than Nebraska and anyone with common sense knows it.

That being said, I would laugh hysterically if Altman ended up there.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Are they really special cookies...I mean special....heh..

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            I'm gonna have my wife bake him and Lynn some cookies. They'll be a lock in Wicheetah for a good 3-4 years after that.
            Those are legal cookies right? Just want to clarify you didn't mean they will be locked up in Wicheetah for a good 3-4 years after that.

Comment

I just don't see marshall leaving for a rebuilding job, major conference or otherwise. He just now has our program on track and it would be really tough to go back to square one.

Comment

Doug Gottlieb is saying that Marshall would be considered for the USC opening (which I think is the prelevant opinion right now) and made it sound like if offered it would be a done deal. Gottlieb didn't say that, but that was the impression I got from when he was talking.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                  HCGM has hinted at this, and I agree; What is mid-major about us? We don't need to denigrate other jobs. Quit acting like everytime there is an opening, our coach is gone. Yes, we are fortunate to have HCGM AND he is fortunate to be at WSU! It is not a one way street!
                  While I do agree with you that it is not a one way street and there is a lot to us that isnt "mid major", the fact is that the majority of people (ie pretty much everyone not a WSU fan) thinks of us as mid major. And it will stay that way as long as we are in this conference. If we go far in the tournament, we will be considered somewhat of a Cinderella team, will be talked about as this year's VCU, even though we have a #5 seed. I could see HCGM eventually wanting to try at power conference school. It would be a challenge, which I think Marshall likes. Probably (IMO) not this year, or next year, but maybe within the next 5 depending on his success.

Comment

There were several openings last year that were a lot better than USC and UNL. According to the "experts" he was gone last year.

I'm not worried.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                      Doug Gottlieb is saying that Marshall would be considered for the USC opening (which I think is the prelevant opinion right now) and made it sound like if offered it would be a done deal. Gottlieb didn't say that, but that was the impression I got from when he was talking.
                      Gottlieb has an inside track with Marshall. I'm sure that Marshall confided in him or someone else close to Gottlieb so you can bank on it.

Comment

• For one, I'm not worried because WSU is a VERY attractive job no matter WHAT happens.

I do find all the conversations funny though. A LOT of what everyone is saying..."No way he leaves for a football school"....as well as many of the other comments.... is exactly what everyone was saying about Turgeon before he took the A&M job. Granted the A&M job at the TIME was rolling fairly decent thanks to Gillespie so it was fairly better than what I would percieve the South Carolina job to be. However, just goes to show NONE of us can say anything with any certainty. Just have to let it all play out.

I am all for enjoying this moment and NOTHING will ruin this excitement for me. Carry on the speculations and worrying if you wish. I'm gonna sit back with a cold one and watch my shox dismantle VCU on national TV thursday evening without a care in the world. GO SHOX.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Those are legal cookies right? Just want to clarify you didn't mean they will be locked up in Wicheetah for a good 3-4 years after that.
                          Legal in 46 states.

Comment

• Anyone who thinks that Gottlieb knows anything regarding Marshall is not a smart man.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              Gottlieb has an inside track with Marshall. I'm sure that Marshall confided in him or someone else close to Gottlieb so you can bank on it.
                              Not sure if srs?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                Anyone who thinks that Gottlieb knows anything regarding Marshall is not a smart man.
                                Ok, now I know not srs. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X