South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Both Marshall and Shaka gave up better offers than SCarolina last year. Not sure why they would backtrack?
    I have no idea. I understand why Marshall's name is thrown around, he's from there. Not sure about Shaka.

Also, my post wasn't inferring that Marshall was gone, just that if I were the AD for SC, I wouldn't go ahead and fire a coach with a year remaining, unless I knew I had a good shot at getting a premier coach. That doesn't have to mean Marshall, it could mean Tubby, Weber, Shaka, or someone else we don't know about.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I do agree that Creighton and Wichita have far surpassed Missouri State for paying a competitive salary, what MSU pays is pathetic. Good luck in the dance

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        I have no idea. I understand why Marshall's name is thrown around, he's from there. Not sure about Shaka.

Also, my post wasn't inferring that Marshall was gone, just that if I were the AD for SC, I wouldn't go ahead and fire a coach with a year remaining, unless I knew I had a good shot at getting a premier coach. That doesn't have to mean Marshall, it could mean Tubby, Weber, Shaka, or someone else we don't know about.
        No, I'm with you on all of that. I was just trying to convince myself that Marshall won't leave.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

if I were the AD for SC, I wouldn't go ahead and fire a coach with a year remaining, unless I knew I had a good shot at getting a premier coach.
          I thought Horn had two years remaining on his contract. I think he received an extension some time back.

According to this article his buyout is $2.4 million.

Comment

Shouldn't this be moved to the Around the NCAA forum? ;)

Nebraska? Seriously, Nebraska??? Now THAT is some funny sh**!!!
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Although I have no inside info on whether GM is coming to South Carolina, if they offer and money is an issue for him then it is a no brainer. The AD made it clear that he would be paying a LOT more money than he paid Horn. I spoke with someone who normally knows what he is talking about and although he would not say who they were going after, he did say paying over 2mil a year was very likely to happen. GM only makes $900,000 now. That would more than double his salary and he has stated more than one time that he would love to coach at South Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Shouldn't this be moved to the Around the NCAA forum? ;)

Nebraska? Seriously, Nebraska??? Now THAT is some funny sh**!!!
                Well, the massive implication that Marshall might leave for this gig makes it a WSU mbb issue. I think it's fine here.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                  Yawn.
                  I have been yawning all day. Daylight savings time change is kicking my butt.

Comment

Originally posted by KG67 View Post
                    Although I have no inside info on whether GM is coming to South Carolina, if they offer and money is an issue for him then it is a no brainer. The AD made it clear that he would be paying a LOT more money than he paid Horn. I spoke with someone who normally knows what he is talking about and although he would not say who they were going after, he did say paying over 2mil a year was very likely to happen. GM only makes $900,000 now. That would more than double his salary and he has stated more than one time that he would love to coach at South Carolina.
                    He makes 900k base salary, with 150k or 100k (I can never remember, someone correct me please) additionally for every year he's been at WSU, plus incentives. He's been raking in a million+ for a few years here. Oh, and his contract runs through 2018 if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by KG67 View Post
                      I think that $900K understates his actual situation somewhat. At the very least Coach Marshall will no doubt use his current celebrity to enhance his pay package at Wichita State if he choses to stay. Can't blame him for that and I doubt if our AD will let him go without a little bit of a fight to the best of our ability.

Comment

I think as long as Marshall's kids are still in school, he's staying where he is. Now after they graduate from high school, it's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                          I think as long as Marshall's kids are still in school, he's staying where he is. Now after they graduate from high school, it's another story.
                          I personally don't see that as being a big issue. Kellen is what a Freshmen and Maggie is 2 or 3 years behind him.

Now whether Gregg and Lynn see that as a big issue I can't say, but I just don't see that as a make or break issue.

Comment

He makes 900k base salary, with 150k or 100k (I can never remember, someone correct me please) additionally for every year he's been at WSU, plus incentives. He's been raking in a million+ for a few years here. Oh, and his contract runs through 2018 if I'm not mistaken.
                            $150k is what sticks in my mind @kai: although I'm not sure if that is paid currently or is deferred comp. Not sure how much he get's for doing his radio show and, of course, he has a few endorsement deals.

I seem to recall, although I am not sure about this, that his 10 year contract automatically extends for 1 additional year at the end of each year, so he pretty much has a perpetual 10-year contract. Job security is probably one of the key tools we have in our tool box to try and retain Coach Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              $150k is what sticks in my mind @kai although I'm not sure if that is paid currently or is deferred comp. Not sure how much he get's for doing his radio show and, of course, he has a few endorsement deals.

I seem to recall, although I am not sure about this, that his 10 year contract automatically extends for 1 additional year at the end of each year, so he pretty much has a perpetual 10-year contract. Job security is probably one of the key tools we have in our tool box to try and retain Coach Marshall.
                              I'm pretty sure that it's actual pay, and not deferred compensation, as on one of the national radio shows (I think Tim Brando) he told them there is nothing mid major about WSU, look at his W-2, he makes over a million a year.

Comment

"I get paid well at WSU....how many hamburgers can a guy eat?" Quote from Gregg Marshall when asked if someone were to offer him alot more money to coach elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X