No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way he takes the USC job is he wants to get back to Carolina. That's up to Gregg. WSU is a better job, including $$ wise. Word is they are going to offer a 5 year deal. It's 5 years and more than likely out at USC.
    In the fast lane

Comment

The SC athletic director seemed to stress they want someone who can recruit and someone who has ties to the area. Not saying that means they will target Coach Marshall.

He said he is not restricting his search in any way to current head coaches, although that is probably the preference, but who knows for sure.

However, if I am in that part of the country I'm going to at least take a peek at the staff at Duke and North Carolina to see what might be available.

Interestingly, Duke has two associate head coaches. Chris Collins who has been on the Duke staff for 11 years and Steve Wojciechowski who has been on the staff for 12 years. Both are former Duke players. Perhaps one of them might succeed Coach K. Wojo probably has the advantage as the Dukies may want to stay with a coach whose last name is impossible to pronounce and spell. In any case, either of these guys would seem to primed to take over a head coaching job at this point.

Steve Robinson is in his 9th year at North Carolina and in his 17th year with Roy Williams. He was head coach at Tulsa (1995-1997) and Florida State (1997-2002). He is considered a very strong recruiter and FoxSports.com named him the fourth-best high-major assistant coach in all of college basketball. His age may work a little against him and it's posssible he is totally happy with where he is at.

Of course, VCU's Shaka Smart will no doubt be on their radar screens also.

I'm sure there are quite of few other quality candidates that will also make there way on to the radar screen.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Hmmm, so you're saying Turgeon's '06 or even '07 teams were "irrelevant"? I'll bet Marshall didn't think we were irrelevant or his a$$ would have stayed in the SE.
        Nope. I don't recall Turgeon was ever mentioned in my post. In our eyes, our program was not irrelevant, I'm betting in GM's eyes, the program was not at that level either when he took the job. Of course, bigger conference, bigger salary, bigger fanbase and better facilities doesn't hurt either compared to Winthrop. From a national standpoint however, our program was off the radar the first two years he took over. What I'm saying is, in the blink of an eye, we go from a Sweet 16 program straight to being off the radar when a coach decides to beat feet.

The very same could happen if GM leaves. We all know that recruits sign with coaches and not universities. If GM bolts, I'm betting our excellent recruiting class does as well. Then we might very go through the same thing we did when Turgeon left for the first couple of years and we are back to square one. Again, I hope GM stays and breaks the cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          I'd be careful making light of the USC job. We are a Gregg Marshall's decision to go back east away, from having to start from scratch and being turned back into a program that we are eluding to what USC is now. It was a short 4 and 5 years ago when this program was a irrelevant. Thanks to GM building it back up, we can now relish in the spoils he has brought but IMO, USC is a sleeping giant and is that 'one' coach away from being an SEC power. I really hope however, GM breaks the cycle and stays here in ICT.
          South Carolina a sleeping giant... wow please tell us more......

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            Word is they are going to offer a 5 year deal. It's 5 years and more than likely out at USC.
            Maybe, but I doubt that would be the way Coach Marshall would look at it. Say what you will about Coach Marshall but lack of confidence to succeed does not appear to be an issue with him. In fact, he seems like the kind who likes the challenge or proving the skeptics wrong. I think other factors will be determinant, but not that the SC job is a challenging one.

BTW, in Coach Horn's 1st year SC averaged 13,000 in attendance. So I'm not sure the statement that nobody cares about SC basketball hold's water. Is it as important as football. No way. But I think to say nobody cares is a little bit of a stretch.

Comment

It appears the most reputable sources are saying HCGM isn't interested in USC. That makes sense. Look at it from HCGM's perspective. Sure, it's his homestate and he was a fan of USC as a kid. But honestly, this is a business decision. He has made it perfectly clear it will take a very special situation for him to leave here. Is leaving for USC a smart business decision for HCGM, or is it a very special situation? Not really. USC is a risky job without a huge reward. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll pad his resume here, turning WSU into a national power, and wait for a blue blood to come calling.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

If we add up all the "Marshall Leaving" pages since 2008, will they equal the "Orupke" thread?
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Coach Marshall may not be excited at all about walking away from what he himself has said is the best recruiting class in his entire coaching career. HC or otherwise.

Comment

Honestly, I'll be very concerned the day after we stop playing in the tournament. Until then, I'm focused on winning a national title.

Comment

Originally posted by hizzshock View Post
                      Honestly, I'll be very concerned the day after we stop playing in the tournament. Until then, I'm focused on winning a national title.
                      I might be on edge for a month after we stop playing until some of these bigger jobs get a new HC. The coaching carousel is a wacky wacky thing.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

No doubt, WSU has had its lean years. However, let's look at the period from where USC started its rocky road, back in the final 6 years of F. McGuire, to today. Over that 37 years, the Gamecocks have won 20 or more games 9 times, WSU 11. USC has received 4 NCAA bids, WSU now has 7. Since joining the SEC in 1991, USC has had a winning conference record only 3 times and .500 twice in 21 years.

Starting with the 2001 season, USC has won 20 or more games 5 times, losing 15 games twice during those 5 years with 4 of those years having a losing record in conference, and 1 NCAA bid. WSU has won 20 or more games 6 times, MVC Champions 2 times, and 2 NCAA bids.

Comment

South Carolina has never won more than one non-consolation game in an NCAA Tournament. Ever. They are also winless in the Dance over the last FORTY years.

That is the definition of a kraptastic BCS job.

Comment

You guys worried? I'm not worried. Sleep well tonight ;)
                            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

HCGM has hinted at this, and I agree; What is mid-major about us? We don't need to denigrate other jobs. Quit acting like everytime there is an opening, our coach is gone. Yes, we are fortunate to have HCGM AND he is fortunate to be at WSU! It is not a one way street!

Comment

ESPN Insider's "Rumors":

"With Darrin Horn fired today by South Carolina, expect the Gamecocks to do everything they can to land Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. Marshall, the Missouri Valley Conference coach of the year this season after leading the Shockers to a 27-5 record, was highly coveted last offseason and turned down the NC State opening to remain at Wichita State. Just speculating here, but the South Carolina job could be tough to pass up. Marshall has extensive South Carolina roots. He was born there, served as an assistant at the College of Charleston and was the head coach at Winthrop before moving to Wichita State. In our estimation, he is candidate 1, 1a and 1b for the Gamecocks. - Joe Kaiser

Also

"Of all the candidates we mentioned yesterday, Brian Rosenthal of the Lincoln Journal Star writes that Ohio's John Croce could make a lot of sense. Interestingly, Rosenthal also mentions Wichita State's Gregg Marshall as a possible candidate. Marshall's availability could hing on whether South Carolina opts to make a coaching change, as has been rumored. Per Rosenthal, if South Carolina retains coach Darrin Horn, "Nebraska could be in the Marshall mix." - Matt Giles

Comment

Working...
                                X