American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
    You have captured my thinking on what the future holds for the P5 conferences - Texas and OU are going to be poached leaving the remainder schools scrambling for a possible P4 conference membership or joining a football focused conference like the AAC. IMO Iowa State has a better chance of B1G membership than KU while the football prowess geographical location of Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and TCU would be appealing to the AAC.
    The thought of KU and/or KSU asking to get into the conference we are in makes me almost die laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by washedup View Post
      Guess not everyone thinks the AAC is a good idea.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...b1mrtola7np2gi
      Was this written by Doug Elgin???

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        Can you imagine? It would be their superbowl of all superbowls. I'd way rather face a Duke or Kentucky than a MoState in the tournament.
        We'd be KU'ed. Knocked off by another Valley opponent.

Comment

• :crushed: I doubt Oklahoma or Texas leave for any other conference. First of all if they went to the PAC 12 all there sports would constantly have to fly to all away games which would be very time consuming and expensive. Second, Texas is really lacking in both football and basketball over the last five years and brings little to the table outside the state of Texas as far as interest. Pac 12 is actually a lesser conference in football so unless the SEC added they wouldn't consider it. Texas and Oklahoma add little when it comes to basketball whether it's in the Big 12 or Pac 12. Oklahoma state and Oklahoma football rivalry is a big reason Oklahoma would not jump to another conference. And KU basketball rivalry would also be lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by kitkaliharie View Post
            :crushed: I doubt Oklahoma or Texas leave for any other conference. First of all if they went to the PAC 12 all there sports would constantly have to fly to all away games which would be very time consuming and expensive. Second, Texas is really lacking in both football and basketball over the last five years and brings little to the table outside the state of Texas as far as interest. Pac 12 is actually a lesser conference in football so unless the SEC added they wouldn't consider it. Texas and Oklahoma add little when it comes to basketball whether it's in the Big 12 or Pac 12. Oklahoma state and Oklahoma football rivalry is a big reason Oklahoma would not jump to another conference. And KU basketball rivalry would also be lost.
            OU and Texas may not have much of a choice. The B12 is becoming irrelevant among the P5 conferences. ESPN and Fox Sports spent a mint to keep the league together in the last realignment shuffle. While Texas might not bring much outside of the state of Texas, have you checked the population of Texas lately? That's a lot of eyes advertisers are looking for.

The problem for Texas and OU is that they don't pick up national viewers when they play Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, KU. Texas and OU are worth more to ESPN if they are playing USC, UCLA, Stanford, Alabama, Auburn, etc.

Iowa State to the B1G is almost unthinkable. Iowa letting that happen would be almost like KU letting WSU join the B12. The MWC and AAC are the likely future homes for the B12 leftovers after 2024. I think the MWC has an advantage for the teams they want. The "names" are more alike. The AAC has more urban universities compared to the MWC. The P5 leagues have a long and well-established history of thinking the "city-based" schools are inferior in every way.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              OU and Texas may not have much of a choice. The B12 is becoming irrelevant among the P5 conferences. ESPN and Fox Sports spent a mint to keep the league together in the last realignment shuffle. While Texas might not bring much outside of the state of Texas, have you checked the population of Texas lately? That's a lot of eyes advertisers are looking for.

The problem for Texas and OU is that they don't pick up national viewers when they play Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, KU. Texas and OU are worth more to ESPN if they are playing USC, UCLA, Stanford, Alabama, Auburn, etc.

Iowa State to the B1G is almost unthinkable. Iowa letting that happen would be almost like KU letting WSU join the B12. The MWC and AAC are the likely future homes for the B12 leftovers after 2024. I think the MWC has an advantage for the teams they want. The "names" are more alike. The AAC has more urban universities compared to the MWC. The P5 leagues have a long and well-established history of thinking the "city-based" schools are inferior in every way.
              Actually, the Iowa legislature would be very proactive in seeing that Iowa did everything possible to get Iowa State in the B1G should the Big 12 collapse. The University of Iowa might not he thrilled, but they would have to support Iowa State's inclusion.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                Actually, the Iowa legislature would be very proactive in seeing that Iowa did everything possible to get Iowa State in the B1G should the Big 12 collapse. The University of Iowa might not he thrilled, but they would have to support Iowa State's inclusion.
                If the B12 falls apart, then Iowa State is the least likely candidate to remain in a power conference, and it's not even close. ISU is a MWC-type school in almost all regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  If the B12 falls apart, then Iowa State is the least likely candidate to remain in a power conference, and it's not even close. ISU is a MWC-type school in almost all regards.
                  Maybe, but my point was that Iowa would actually lobby for Iowa State, not that Iowa State wiuld get the invite.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Texas Tech would actually get my vote for least likely to stay in a power conf.

ISU has invested a lot of money in their football program. It hasn't shown much on the field yet, but they now have the 3rd largest stadium in the B12 and updated facilities. That + their quality BB program gives them a fair shot at the B1G IMO.
                    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• So if we make it into the AAC, will we be dropping State and becoming the University of Wichita? Or is Wichita State University too much of a brand name?

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                        Texas Tech would actually get my vote for least likely to stay in a power conf.

ISU has invested a lot of money in their football program. It hasn't shown much on the field yet, but they now have the 3rd largest stadium in the B12 and updated facilities. That + their quality BB program gives them a fair shot at the B1G IMO.
                        The problem Iowa State has is that they are an ag school without a law or medical school. Their advantage is that they are within the B1G footprint, are investing in football, have Iowa, and possibly Nebraska in their corner, are a good basketball program and better at football than Kansas. Still, they simply have to overcome being Iowa State.

Comment

I terms of on the field/court yes. In terms of research, facilities, attendance, and probably the most loyal fan base in the universe, they are P5 through and through.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            So if we make it into the AAC, will we be dropping State and becoming the University of Wichita? Or is Wichita State University too much of a brand name?
                            Man I hope so. We are called Wichita half the time on television broadcast anyways plus it better fits our true educational mission. My grandfather still calls us Wichita U, he coulddie happy. "City State" University just doesn't fit with the below.

Cinci
                            Memphis
                            Houston
                            Tulsa
                            Navy
                            Tulane
                            Temple
                            University of Central Florida
                            University of Southern Florida
                            University of Connecticut
                            Last edited by Shockerman; December 16, 2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                              Man I hope so. We are called Wichita half the time on television broadcast anyways plus it better fits our educational mission and new conference branding.
                              I dunno... all the brand equity from the last 5 years or so (which is what we're known for nationally) is with the Wichita State brand.

Comment

• I don't see how some people could think this is a bad move.

Say, for hypothetical sake, BIG12 has a change of heart and takes Cinci and UCONN, that would suck. However, that still leaves: Temple, Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, SMU in the group. No way can anyone say that scenario isn't better than UNI, ISUr, Mo. St... F%&ING DRAKE!!!

Upward mobility is a good thing (look what happened to Butler as some mentioned). WSU has been loyal to the Valley long enough, time to join the former Valley greats in greener pastures!
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X