American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Well, what are we comparing exactly? I don't see much correlation with Tulsa except for geography and a past rivalry.

If we're looking at metro size and similar academic mission, then a potential model might be Boise, although they are admittedly a best case.
    Yes, that's does look comparable in terms of metro size and academic mission. That would be a great model IF it could be duplicated.

Season tickets run $160 to $390 plus a required per seat contribution depending on location of $75 to $475.

Looks like the are at around 36,400 on seating capacity and are usually around 90% of capacity.

One difference is that Boise State is the only FBS program in Idaho now that the University of Idaho is dropping down to FCS and will join Idaho State in the Big Sky Conference.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 20, 2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      In 2016 dollars that would be the equvilent of $1,700 per seat or $51,000,000 for a 30,000 seat stadium. Of course current construction costs may or may not have grown at the same rate as CPI since 1992. Could be less could be more. No doubt the building codes and regulations probably have become more involved.
      They did away with the 30k stadium thing a few years ago. The only stipulation is an average attendance of 15k every other year.

Comment

• All this football talk is a good way to pass the time between Rin and Fred workout news...but how does football benefit the basketball team? One of the best FCS conferences is MVFC, so we stay right where we are with hopes of moving up to FBS - to the Sun Belt? CUSA? That sounds familiar.

We should use the $20MM to buy our way into the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Gorilla View Post
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Gorilla View Post
            All this football talk is a good way to pass the time between Rin and Fred workout news...but how does football benefit the basketball team? One of the best FCS conferences is MVFC, so we stay right where we are with hopes of moving up to FBS - to the Sun Belt? CUSA? That sounds familiar.

I thought it was Wren and Stempy not Rin and Fred
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• This was an interesting tidbit included in the consultants reports that Idaho commissioned after it was announced it was being dumped from the Sun Belt:

In an "Oh, By The Way" moment, it's revealed that North Dakota State and South Dakota State could be joining the Missouri Valley Conference as full members.

"Conference Notes" strikes again! Still on page 62 when discussing about a possible WAC revival, it talks about two potential members:
              North Dakota State and South Dakota State have stated publicly they do not have an interest in moving to FBS. However, it appears from discussions with each school there is not an interest in the WAC, should it reinstate football or go with a combined WAC/Big Sky option. As a side note, there has been strong speculation that both institutions could be invited to join the Missouri Valley Conference as a full member, not just the MVFC.

Both Dakota State schools are currently members of the non-football Summit League while playing football in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, which is not directly affiliated with the Missouri Valley Conference.

Getting both schools, which have solid athletics and would be a benefit to the Valley, could be seen as a preemptive move if Wichita State decided to leave.

Angry fans, Conference USA and Mountain West dreams, dog catchers WAC Football revival and a hybrid conferences are some of the details Idaho released in their consultant's report.

Comment

• Perhaps all this realignment speculation can get serious when WSU has been provided funding guarantees in the range of 300 - 400 million. Otherwise, to hell with football! I would rather see WSU invest 300 million into its infrastructure. Improve existing buildings and modernizing them with up to date technology. Hire a bunch more full time professors and increasing all professor's pay. Etcetera, etcetera.

I'm tired of not seeing WSU ranked in the top tier of U.S. News, Forbes, Princeton Review, rankings of best universities. (yeah, yeah) the methodology to how they rank colleges raises questions and skewed, but I'd bet dollars to pesos any of you would love to throw out that little tidbit if WSU was listed in the top 100-150 in the nation regardless of how you feel about these publications. You'd be damn sure WSU would market that fact. A higher performing university brings in a higher performing student who will graduate with a higher opportunity to make the big bucks who will in turn donate back to the university butt loads of money where it can be used toward athletics and academics.

If you want to talk realignment strictly to a basketball only conference, that's reasonable. Otherwise, flush football talk down the toilet!

Comment

• All this football talk reminds me of similar problems I hear down here in Houston about U. of Houston's desire to be in a P5 conference. They are stuck in a state and a major TV market that is already saturated with UT, A&M and Baylor, to a lesser extent. Those schools want nothing to do with propping UH up to the Big 12 or SEC conference. They have a big enrollment, brand new football facilities, a nationally relevant football team and no P5 conference out there is interested in bringing them in. WSU will face these same types of challenges and has even less to the bring to the table.

Comment

• Do some of you realize how ridiculous you look pulling these "hundreds of millions of dollars" figures directly out of your rectum? Every time one of you uncovers another knowledge nugget from your honey pot I'm all like...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      All this football talk reminds me of similar problems I hear down here in Houston about U. of Houston's desire to be in a P5 conference. They are stuck in a state and a major TV market that is already saturated with UT, A&M and Baylor, to a lesser extent. Those schools want nothing to do with propping UH up to the Big 12 or SEC conference. They have a big enrollment, brand new football facilities, a nationally relevant football team and no P5 conference out there is interested in bringing them in. WSU will face these same types of challenges and has even less to the bring to the table.
                      I'll settle for having Houston's problem.

Comment

Do some of you realize how ridiculous you look pulling these "hundreds of millions of dollars" figures directly out of your rectum? Every time one of you uncovers another knowledge nugget from your honey pot I'm all like...
                        Hopefully, we will have some realistic numbers to look at in the next 10 days. IAD Boatright did say they would make the report they are to receive public.

Or at least they will be the same numbers that WSU will be evaluating.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                          I'll settle for having Houston's problem.
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You wanna put a nail in the coffin of WSU football before it has even been resurrected then a great idea would be to put a new stadium way the heck up in BFE Park City. I can just see the promos now... free meth night... section 8 night... how to train your pit bull night... best practices to remove the wheels from your house night.

Effing-A man! Worst idea ever!
                            Dude, lighten up. You seem a little uptight today.

Take a deep breath. Count to 3. Exhale.

Inhale. 1-2-3 Exhale

Inhale 1-2-3 Exhale

Repeat 77 times or until you pass out. Whichever occurs first.
                            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              All this football talk reminds me of similar problems I hear down here in Houston about U. of Houston's desire to be in a P5 conference. They are stuck in a state and a major TV market that is already saturated with UT, A&M and Baylor, to a lesser extent. Those schools want nothing to do with propping UH up to the Big 12 or SEC conference. They have a big enrollment, brand new football facilities, a nationally relevant football team and no P5 conference out there is interested in bringing them in. WSU will face these same types of challenges and has even less to the bring to the table.
                              Not really apples to apples. Anyone in their right mind knows that WSU is not trying to move up to the P5. I don't think KU or K- State could do much to block WSU moving to a conference like the AAC. Nor do I think that they really care.

That being said I think that many WSU fans have a tendency to overlook how much of a liability our small TV market is.
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Small TV market sure...but Bardo has a real opportunity (along with Charles Koch) to change the path of the city of Wichita and Wichita St University to do some really wonderful things.

Imagine and dream for minute that Bardo convinces Koch for an unreal donation of 4 to 600,000,00 dollars. You then build a fancy 55,000 seat football stadium, buy the best coaching staff in the nation for 10 years and see what happens. That sounds like a really neat idea....
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X