No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KU season tickets are $300 for the best location for 6 games. How many KU "fans" would sacrifice the 2-hour drive and $50 ticket prices to see a team that stinks when they could do that for $25 a tickets and be home for dinner?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      KU season tickets are $300 for the best location for 6 games. How many KU "fans" would sacrifice the 2-hour drive and $50 ticket prices to see a team that stinks when they could do that for $25 a tickets and be home for dinner?
      I think WSU would get both of them.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I won't believe any of the football talk, even if it's coming from Bardo himself until WSU creates more parking.. It's all just rumors and talk until they actually do something to show everyone that they are serious about bringing football back. And the current parking problem at WSU shows that they aren't serious about a football team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
          I won't believe any of the football talk, even if it's coming from Bardo himself until WSU creates more parking.. It's all just rumors and talk until they actually do something to show everyone that they are serious about bringing football back. And the current parking problem at WSU shows that they aren't serious about a football team.
          Is there a parking problem on Saturdays?
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
            25,000 people will fill up what they currently have quickly. Plus weekend classes.

Comment

25,000 people will fill up what they currently have quickly. Plus weekend classes.
              This parking might help along with 2 four story garages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                I would agree if Cessna were to remain as is. But $20 million is not pocket change when it comes to renovating an existing stadium, and it would do much more than just put lipstick on a pig when $40 million would build a new stadium. Cessna might still be a pig, but it would be a classy, attractive pig with quite a few amenities for an FCS program, which is what we'd have to be for a few years. Talk of a new stadium can wait until talk of an FBS conference becomes realistic.

Wichitans are notorious for getting sticker shock almost effortlessly. There is no sense in freaking out the public with inflated costs of reviving the program. I'm sure Bardo is aware of who his audience is, and his audience is miserly and solicitous. By pursuing Cessna as the venue, I believe he's attempting to balance vision with practically, and practicality is gospel in Wichita. That's the way this is going to get done.
                You sound like a former Wichitan who stated Intrust would fail. I don't live in ICT anymore, so you could be correct (depending how the stadium is financed). I'll reserve final judgement to see how $20m will make Cessna a "classy, attractive pig." Makes sense to me to save the $20m, invest in a new 20-25k stadium with attractive amenities with expansion options built into the design.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Will anyone pick up the telephone and ask JIm Schaus his opinion?
                  I'll bet part of my favorite body parts that this has already been done; forget that, ...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I always sensed that the most important thing was to serve reasonably priced beer and good nachos.

OTOH, in this day and age maybe the best way to draw students to Cessna stadium would be to forget about football and turn Cessna into the WSU safe zone with open and unrestricted bathrooms.
                    Probably another million to add "unrestricted" restrooms... oh Lord!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Cessna looks like a 10k seat stadium with another 20k seats patched on, because that's exactly what it is. It was and is ugly, I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea back in the day. Reminds me of Eck and its jumbled together look.

20 mil is a huge chunk to put down on something where your parameters are partially constrained from the start and really almost completely defined.

If going FCS to start then even 15K stadium designed with expansion in mind would be great. A full house is always better than a half empty one. Shiny stuff and atmosphere does matter to recruits and coaches for that matter. Recruits and coaches matter to winning, winning matters to fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                        I can't tell you either, but I can guess it WON'T be more than at the end of the football era in the 1980's. Otherwise, obviously it would still be here. Key is whether the outside components (Conference money, big name donors, etc.) can make it something OTHER than a financial drain on the athletic dept.
                        I'd have to respectfully disagree based on population figures alone. And that's not even taking into account the slight rise in popularity of college football since the late 80's. The city of Wichita alone has at least 90k more inhabitants today than it did in the late 1980s. And, I couldn't find the exact figures, but with an estimated 2014 metro population of 640k, I'm willing to bet that's risen significantly since the time I was born too (88 y'all). I know there are other factors that go into people putting their hard earned money into entertainment, but consider me hard pressed to fathom that there wouldn't be MORE willing/probable season ticket holders now than in the 80s.

Comment

• There is roughly 150k or 30% more in metro area than 1987.

For 5-6 times a year I think 15K for FCS is doable, 18-20k if it's a winning FCS program. Those predictions are taken right out of my backside.

Comment

I won't believe any of the football talk, even if it's coming from Bardo himself until WSU creates more parking.. It's all just rumors and talk until they actually do something to show everyone that they are serious about bringing football back. And the current parking problem at WSU shows that they aren't serious about a football team.
                            I just know my meter's broken, because this post would otherwise be one of the more asinine things I've read on SN.

Comment

• In basketball, I remember wondering , at our low ebb in the nineties, why we could not at least be a top 50 program like, say Tulsa. I attended a Tulsa football game about three years ago. I thought they had a great stadium, surprisingly good atmosphere. I know they have a pretty good D1 program which I guess is apples and oranges to our possible startup. But still, here I am wondering again why we can't If they can.... Especially on a more modest scale....hey, we passed them in basketball!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                                Is there a parking problem at all?

Or is it a problem with certain people wanting to walk more than 15 feet to get where they want to go?
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X