American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    It is my understanding that the bowling people prefer the USBC because it allows the bowlers to compete in summer tournaments for monetary prizes. The NCAA does not allow that.
    It's my understanding that the NCAA does not allow bowlers to compete and drink White Russians.

The Dude abides.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• the_dude_abides_by_skeletonjack666-d4sec6t.jpg
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        It's my understanding that the NCAA does not allow bowlers to compete and drink White Russians.

The Dude abides.
        Does the NCAA allow bowlers to complete and drink Black Russians?

#BlackRussiansMatter

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post

No matter how tough it may be to re-start football, today's realities and our central location may make it the only option for improving our conference.
          Exactly my point. Today's realities could cost a lot (defined many ways) and not be beneficial in tomorrow's world. We need to think long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
            Exactly my point. Today's realities could cost a lot (defined many ways) and not be beneficial in tomorrow's world. We need to think long term.
            Opportunity cost. In many ways history will see the WSU football versus no-football as an example of that economic theory.

Comment

• Wichita State Hawaii Comparison

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                I think this is a logical explanation of President Bardo's thinking.
                Bardo told the Wichita Eagle the football question has been “lingering way too long” at Wichita State. “We need to be very straight on, ‘Here’s what it takes to do it, here’s what it means, here’s what others are doing.’ And if people say, ‘Yeah, that’s what we want to do,’ that’s great. If people say ‘We have no interest in that, we’re not willing to support it,’ then we know the answer,” he said.
                In short, it's time to shiit or get off the toilet.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• How does WSU compare to the MWC?

I found some metrics in an article comparing MWC schools in terms of financial support (ticket revenue and donations). I went through it and ranked each school for each metric and inserted where WSU would fall in their rankings. Obviously its an apples to orange comparison, because it is comparing us to athletic programs with football. However, it gives you an idea where we compare to these schools and also gives you an idea of what would be required for financial support for adding football at this level.

Total Fan Support
                  1. Boise State $19,478,218
                  2. New Mexico $16,952,129
                  3. San Diego State $16,445,934
                  4 UNLV $13,771,217
                  5 Fresno St $12,906,201
                  6. Hawaii $11,351,114
                  >>> Wichita State $11,173,485
                  7. Colorado State $9,516,143
                  8. Wyoming $8,661,726
                  9. Air Force $8,106,493
                  10. Nevada $7,819,850
                  11. Utah State $5,702,611
                  12. San Jose State $5,248,737

Ticket Revenue
                  1. Boise State $8,427,218
                  2. Fresno State $7,891,714
                  3. New Mexico $6,769,857
                  4. San Diego State $$6,768,575
                  5. Hawaii $6,261,857
                  6. Air Force $5,849,136
                  7. UNLV $5,627,480
                  >>> Wichita State $4,321,387
                  8. Wyoming $3,759,013
                  9. Nevada $3,564,605
                  10. Colorado State $3,342,818
                  11. Utah State 2,283,203
                  12. San Jose State $1,483,717

Donor Support
                  1. Boise State $11,050,334
                  2. New Mexico $10,182,272
                  3. San Diego State $9,677,359
                  4. UNLV $8,143,737
                  >>> Wichita State $6,852,098
                  5. Colorado State $6,173,325
                  6. Hawaii $5,089,257
                  7. Fresno State $5,014,487
                  8. Wyoming $4,902,713
                  9. Nevada $4,255,245
                  10. San Jose State $3,765,020
                  11. Utah State $3,264,408
                  12. Air Force $2,257,337

Overall Budget
                  1. New Mexico $47,199,769
                  2. San Diego State $46,978,289
                  3. Air Force $46,577,840
                  4. Boise State $45,706,336
                  5. UNLV $44,057,560
                  6. Hawaii $40,989,898
                  7. Colorado State $38,739,665
                  8. Fresno State $36,038,183
                  9. Wyoming $32,336,367
                  10. San Jose State $29,666,940
                  11. Nevada $27,324338
                  12. Utah State $25,152,919
                  >>> Wichita State $24,755,157

% of budget funded by fans
                  >>> Wichita State 45.1%
                  1. Boise State 42.6%
                  2. New Mexico 35.9%
                  3. Fresno State 35.8%
                  4. San Diego State 35.0%
                  5. UNLV 31.3%
                  6. Nevada 28.6%
                  7. Hawaii 27.7%
                  8. Wyoming 26.8%
                  9. Colorado State 24.6%
                  10. Utah State 22.7%
                  11. San Jose State 17.8%
                  12. Air Force 17.4%
                  http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/coll...ture/76336812/
                  Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 23, 2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Now do the math and realize how much the students are subsidizing those football programs either through tuition or additional student fees. If WSU were to do that the lower cost of attendance which currently makes WSU look more appealing than our in-state neighbors would go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      Now do the math and realize how much the students are subsidizing those football programs either through tuition or additional student fees. If WSU were to do that the lower cost of attendance which currently makes WSU look more appealing than our in-state neighbors would go away.
                      I get your point, but I'm not sure about the math. Do MWC schools get TV revenues? Also the numbers above do not reflect licensing/royalty revenue and income for NCAA tournament shares and bowl revenue.

Comment

I get your point, but I'm not sure about the math. Do MWC schools get TV revenues? Also the numbers above do not reflect licensing/royalty revenue and income for NCAA tournament shares and bowl revenue.
                        Good point. That didn't even enter my mind for some reason. Here is what I could find about recent revenue for Boise St.:

In 2014 the MWC distributed $46 million ($29mil the previous year) in TV revenue. Boise received the most at $5.3mil. They got an additional $4mil in bowl game revenue and $0.75mil from the NCAA tournament. That still leaves roughly a $10mil gap for them to fill. I think (not certain) the fan support numbers already include licensing revenues.

I came across this article from 2012 which exposes their 2011 athletic finances. The school had to subsidize $10.5 million, $3.1mil of which was student fees.

One thing in Boise's favor in terms of just football, according to this piece by Forbes, in 2012 their football program brought in $15mil in revenue versus just $8mil in expenses.
                        Last edited by RoyalShock; December 23, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Good point. That didn't even enter my mind for some reason. Here is what I could find about recent revenue for Boise St.:

In 2014 the MWC distributed $46 million ($29mil the previous year) in TV revenue. Boise received the most at $5.3mil. They got an additional $4mil in bowl game revenue and $0.75mil from the NCAA tournament. That still leaves roughly a $10mil gap for them to fill. I think (not certain) the fan support numbers already include licensing revenues.

I came across this article from 2012 which exposes their 2011 athletic finances. The school had to subsidize $10.5 million, $3.1mil of which was student fees.

One thing in Boise's favor in terms of just football, according to this piece by Forbes, in 2012 their football program brought in $15mil in revenue versus just $8mil in expenses.
                          So Boise State subsidy for the athletic program is roughly 2x the subsidy that WSU athletics receives. Per my recent post, for the most recent fiscal year, WSU athletics received institutional support of $3.1 million and student fees of $2.8 million. Almost $6 million is subsidized by tuition and student fees. Without those subsidies WSU would be operating in the red.

Comment

In 2014 the MWC distributed $46 million ($29mil the previous year) in TV revenue. Boise received the most at $5.3mil. They got an additional $4mil in bowl game revenue and $0.75mil. That still leaves roughly a $10mil gap for them to fill. I think (not certain) the fan support numbers already include licensing revenues.

I would think that Boise St's lack of $s needed from the students comes from their high level of football success. Perhaps comparing to Nevada might be a better starting point and work up from there Limited success still with a comparable enrollment.

Also, the MWC has 12 football schools....at the moment anyway.

Comment

• Also, I don't think the MWC numbers include license/royalty fees. These numbers are ticket revenue and donations. WSU received $2.6M in licensing/royalty revenue in the most recent fiscal year.

Comment

WSU received $2.6M in licensing/royalty revenue in the most recent fiscal year.
                                That's impressive; I remember when it was around $300K annually.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X