American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to revive this thread all over again and no disrespect intended, seriously...I saw a good decent realignment conversation so thought I would chime-in, that is all.

100% agree, being king in a conference is great... But if you don't see a truck full of $$$ backing up to your loading dock then why not look elsewhere. Not sy'n... Just sy'n.
    Revive it all you want. It is a relevant discussion of which you are offering an outside opinion on. People who don't like the topic are free to not read or post in the thread. That's what makes this an internet discussion forum, not a how-to guide on house painting.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
      I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?
      Because:

1. Some believe--myself included--that having 350+ teams in division one is either unsustainable or undesirable for the major conferences (or both), and that in the near future there will be a push to split division one basketball in two subdivisions, similar to football. It is debatable on whether the MVC would end up on the good side of that split.

2. We already spend around $5.5 million on men's basketball without a conference TV deal. It would be nice to be in a conference with some shared resources to either help ease the burden on our donors or fund the program at an even higher level, or a combination of both.

3. Speaking of TV, we're not on it much thanks to relative obscurity of the MVC. Membership in a higher level conference could mean greater TV exposure, and I shouldn't have to explain what that would mean.

4. One of the major reasons Marshall came to WSU was because it had a history of not being a one bid conference and he was tired of having to win his conference tournament to get to the Dance, and then being a 16 seed when they did make it. Many question whether in the future the MVC can continue getting multiple bids. If WSU can't put together an undefeated season every year with a top 10 RPI, and win the regular season championship, will the MVC have enough respect to allow WSU to get an at large?

5. Speaking of spending millions on basketball, we're coming very close to spending twice as much on our program as the next highest spender in the MVC. It would behoove WSU to surround itself with other schools that have the willingness and the resources to invest in basketball.

Should I go on? Looking for options outside the MVC should be a no-brainer for us at this point. I can't believe there is even debate on this.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?
        I think I just realized that you are trolling with this post (somebody might want to tell jocoshock that trolling actually requires posting, not reading). You're smiling back at all of us from a dark corner, watching us all stomp out the bag of dog sheet you lit on fire on the porch, aren't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          Because:

1. Some believe--myself included--that having 350+ teams in division one is either unsustainable or undesirable for the major conferences (or both), and that in the near future there will be a push to split division one basketball in two subdivisions, similar to football. It is debatable on whether the MVC would end up on the good side of that split.

2. We already spend around $5.5 million on men's basketball without a conference TV deal. It would be nice to be in a conference with some shared resources to either help ease the burden on our donors or fund the program at an even higher level, or a combination of both.

3. Speaking of TV, we're not on it much thanks to relative obscurity of the MVC. Membership in a higher level conference could mean greater TV exposure, and I shouldn't have to explain what that would mean.

4. One of the major reasons Marshall came to WSU was because it had a history of not being a one bid conference and he was tired of having to win his conference tournament to get to the Dance, and then being a 16 seed when they did make it. Many question whether in the future the MVC can continue getting multiple bids. If WSU can't put together an undefeated season every year with a top 10 RPI, and win the regular season championship, will the MVC have enough respect to allow WSU to get an at large?

5. Speaking of spending millions on basketball, we're coming very close to spending twice as much on our program as the next highest spender in the MVC. It would behoove WSU to surround itself with other schools that have the willingness and the resources to invest in basketball.

Should I go on? Looking for options outside the MVC should be a no-brainer for us at this point. I can't believe there is even debate on this.
          This is exactly why I'm even here, RMS

AAC members are heavily investing on most their athletic facilities... AAC members want to associate with others just like them, those who aren't shy in investing and those who want to compete at the highest level.

Comment

The grass isn't always greener. The devil you know. Maybe cliche but there's truth in what you're saying.

Comment

Because the Valley is really bad. Have you noticed how we get beat up in the national media because of our conference affiliation?
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                Because the Valley is really bad. Have you noticed how we get beat up in the national media because of our conference affiliation?
                Nope haven't seen it. Do you have any examples?

Comment

I just read it for the comedy relief. The evidence is WSU Institution is committed to MVC. I have even heard that WSU president was heavily consulted on who the MVC brought in to replace CU. I keep looking for a little smoke, but don't see any.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                    Nope haven't seen it. Do you have any examples?
                    Strength of Schedule arguments?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      I just read it for the comedy relief. The evidence is WSU Institution is committed to MVC. I have even heard that WSU president was heavily consulted on who the MVC brought in to replace CU. I keep looking for a little smoke, but don't see any.
                      Judging by who they added, Pesisent Bardo's input to the discussion was something like "Look, we really don't give a ****. We're probably not gonna be around for much longer anyway."

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        The grass isn't always greener. The devil you know. Maybe cliche but there's truth in what you're saying.
                        If we all only had a crystal ball

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                          Judging by who they added, Pesisent Bardo's input to the discussion was something like "Look, we really don't give a ****. We're probably not gonna be around for much longer anyway."
                          Bardo didn't get to be a President for that type of false bravado. If WSU was going anywhere you would have heard rumors by now. But who knows what happens when the next round of realignments starts, maybe there will be opportunity.

They gambled on LUC do to their potential upside and market. Will it pan out? Probably not going to know for 5-10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                            That comment has to be very disappointed for you all... We know if Houston's AD would make such statement/s he would be gone in a split second.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              Bardo didn't get to be a President for that type of false bravado. If WSU was going anywhere you would have heard rumors by now. But who knows what happens when the next round of realignments starts, maybe there will be opportunity.

They gambled on LUC do to their potential upside and market. Will it pan out? Probably not going to know for 5-10 years.
                              Where there any rumors about Loyola-Chicago joining the MVC? Though that is a different situation, as the MVC needed to get to 10 more than the AAC needs to get to 12 (though our RPI would be much better with 9).

Comment

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
                                That comment has to be very disappointed for you all... We know if Houston's AD would make such statement/s he would be gone in a split second.
                                He meant "we" being WSU, and "around" being the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                                X