American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
    That comment has to be very disappointed for you all... We know if Houston's AD would make such statement/s he would be gone in a split second.
    That comment was made in jest. Bardo didn't really say anything similar, but Loyola-Chicago was way down the list for Shocker fans; Belmont, Denver, and Detroit-Mercy, Milwaukee, and even the Dakota schools would have preferred.

Comment

That comment has to be very disappointed for you all... We know if Houston's AD would make such statement/s he would be gone in a split second.
      Huh? That was a joke. He didn't actually say anything like that. But this has been disscussed to death and there are a lot around here that hope that this was the sentiment when he voted to add Loyola. I don't see this potential. It was a terrible add to a conference that many of us have been wanting out of for a long time and it was the last straw for many of the hold outs that wanted us to stay. There aren't too many of them left now.

Comment

You do realize that comment is just something Shock Therapy totally made up out of thin air and he was attributing it to our University President and not to our AD.

The official stance from our Administration and Athletic department (to the best of my knowledge and belief) is that there is nothing imminent in regards to a possible change in conference affiliation but that they are continuing to monitor the landscape of college athletics with the objective to always do what is in our long-term best interest. Granted that is not saying anything, but that is more or less the official position as of now the way I understand it.

I will also say that our new President, Dr. John Bardo, has publicly declared some very aggressive and optimistic goals for growing the foot print of Wichita State University. And he is no dummy. He can clearly see the unbelievable publicity and benefits that a successful and high profile athletic department can be in achieving those goals. If the right opportunity presents itself I have no doubt that Dr. Bardo will act decisively to take advantage of such opportunity. Of course, not everyone will agree on what is the "right opportunity".
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Bardo didn't get to be a President for that type of false bravado. If WSU was going anywhere you would have heard rumors by now. But who knows what happens when the next round of realignments starts, maybe there will be opportunity.

They gambled on LUC do to their potential upside and market. Will it pan out? Probably not going to know for 5-10 years.
          I think I've said this on another post, but Wichita State, IMHO, brings that very important asset to AAC table and that's your successful basketball program, plus commitment/desire to remain at top.

I hope y'alls AD is aware AAC haves an active open phone line and Mike Aresco is who he needs to speak with.

I'm not saying Wichita State doesn't other options... All I'm saying the Shockers could blossom even more in the AAC with its amazing exposure ESPN and CBS, Nationally.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            You do realize that comment is just something Shock Therapy totally made up out of thin air and he was attributing it to our University President and not to our AD.

The official stance from our Administration and Athletic department (to the best of my knowledge and belief) is that there is nothing imminent in regards to a possible change in conference affiliation but that they are continuing to monitor the landscape of college athletics with the objective to always do what is in our long-term best interest. Granted that is not saying anything, but that is more or less the official position as of now the way I understand it.

I will also say that our new President, Dr. John Bardo, as publicly declared some very aggressive and optimistic goals for growing the foot print of Wichita State University. And he is no dummy. He can clearly see the unbelievable publicity and benefits that a successful and high profile athletic department can be in achieving those goals. If the right opportunity presents itself I have no doubt that Dr. Bardo will act decisively to take advantage of such opportunity. Of course, not everyone will agree on what is the "right opportunity".
            Pardon my blinded post... I'm new around this parts.

Comment

I'm not saying Wichita State doesn't other options... All I'm saying the Shockers could blossom even more in the AAC with its amazing exposure ESPN and CBS, Nationally.
              I would have to believe that would be a go from our end of things. I think you are pretty much preaching to the choir in that regard.

Furthermore, even though the AAC would take WSU pretty much exclusively because of our men's basketball program they really wouldn't have to hold their noses about the rest of the package they are getting. WSU has won 7 of the last 10 MVC All-Sports Trophies and I predict this year will make it 8 of 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                Nope haven't seen it. Do you have any examples?
                Yep, every single discussion about our weak schedule.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  Yep, every single discussion about our weak schedule.
                  Can't believe that! I'm on here everyday, on twitter, ESPN, and CBSSports and haven't seen anything about that. Do you have links?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I will also say that our new President, Dr. John Bardo, has publicly declared some very aggressive and optimistic goals for growing the foot print of Wichita State University. And he is no dummy. He can clearly see the unbelievable publicity and benefits that a successful and high profile athletic department can be in achieving those goals. If the right opportunity presents itself I have no doubt that Dr. Bardo will act decisively to take advantage of such opportunity. Of course, not everyone will agree on what is the "right opportunity".
                    Bingo. The iron is warming up.

Furthermore, I believe Bardo was in the forefront of the group of presidents that recommended Loyal after several campus visits. Elgin confirmed this on Play Angry's podcost. To imply that Bardo didn't want Loyola or that voting for them was forced upon him is silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                      I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?
                      Umm seriously would you rather play Drake, Evansville, and Loyola or Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU? If we had lost 3 valley games this year we would be 6 or 7 seed the margin for error is much greater in a better conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                        Can't believe that! I'm on here everyday, on twitter, ESPN, and CBSSports and haven't seen anything about that. Do you have links?

They are numerous. Here's one:

"Still, beating demonstrably lesser competition – which the Valley has been this season, especially since Creighton left for the Big East – can foster bad habits. Wichita State has been able to win a lot of games playing 32-36 minutes of quality basketball. In the NCAAs, there will come a time when it will need the full 40."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-best-move-for-wichita-state-would-be-to-lose-151214798-nba.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                          They are numerous. Here's one:

"Still, beating demonstrably lesser competition – which the Valley has been this season, especially since Creighton left for the Big East – can foster bad habits. Wichita State has been able to win a lot of games playing 32-36 minutes of quality basketball. In the NCAAs, there will come a time when it will need the full 40."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-bes...14798-nba.html
                          Hey man, turn up your meter with regards to the posts from shocktheheart.

Comment

• I will take 32-36 minutes of quality basketball in everyone of our NCAA games and like our chances. Thank you very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              Hey man, turn up your meter with regards to the posts from shocktheheart.
                              K. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                                Where there any rumors about Loyola-Chicago joining the MVC? Though that is a different situation, as the MVC needed to get to 10 more than the AAC needs to get to 12 (though our RPI would be much better with 9).
                                Well if you recall there were all kinds of rumors that CU was leaving before it was announced.

Comment

Working...
                                X