American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by isubirds89 View Post
    I'm not up on my WSU knowledge, but say an invite from a geographic challenged conference presents itself. Are the finances in order to support travel for the lesser sports? I know the MVC isn't ideal outside of MSU, UNI, and Drake.
    I don't think travel in the AAC would be too much more expensive than the MVC. At least with regional scheduling ... the MVC already makes distance an issue. It's one thing if we were taking buses to games, but we're already flying to everyone but MoSt I think? Being in the MWC might be expensive.

But we're able to pay Gregg Marshall nearly $2 million a year and fly private jets to games already for a reason. And that's without any TV revenue, and smaller NCAA shares than we'd make in a stronger conference.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      I don't think travel in the AAC would be too much more expensive than the MVC. At least with regional scheduling ... the MVC already makes distance an issue. It's one thing if we were taking buses to games, but we're already flying to everyone but MoSt I think? Being in the MWC might be expensive.

But we're able to pay Gregg Marshall nearly $2 million a year and fly private jets to games already for a reason. And that's without any TV revenue, and smaller NCAA shares than we'd make in a stronger conference.
      This, I'm a Bears fan and the last thing I wanna see is the Shox leaving. Not sure if they can bridge the gap or not, but one thing is certain they will be wanted for thier basketball success, will it be enough to forgive the other decencies? I don't know but something tells me we are about to find out.

Comment

• How awful would it be to be a university president and have to deal with constant conference realignment on top of daily tasks? I know it comes with the territory, but seems stressful for fringe schools looking for a place to land.

Comment

• Originally posted by isubirds89 View Post
          I'm not up on my WSU knowledge, but say an invite from a geographic challenged conference presents itself. Are the finances in order to support travel for the lesser sports? I know the MVC isn't ideal outside of MSU, UNI, and Drake.
          Our finances are just fine bud:

Comment

• After HCGM's truthful comments about 'Nova on the weekly conference call, will WSU receive any invitation soon to the big East. Whatever tiny footbridge might have existed, is now blown to smithereens. For better or worse. The man tells it like it is!
            Last edited by Veritas; January 22, 2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              After HCGM's truthful comments about 'Nova on the weekly conference call, will WSU receive any invitation soon to the big East. Whatever tiny footbridge might have existed, is now blown to smithereens. For better or worse.
              Actually, that might be a good thing for the BE (in a sense). Having someone that will stir-the-pot or drum up interest in games/rivalries, could attract eyeballs to BE games.

Heck, WSU could even sell itself as the black (and yellow!) sheep of the BE. The only public school, in private school waters. Marshall would were that badge with honor.

I know this may be total BS (heck I don't even fully believe it, as I type it), but there is a reason Rex Ryan* and the likes garner attention.

*Warning: I am not comparing Marshall to Rex
              The Assman

Comment

• HCGM said Creighton was an elite team when he asked if the reporter considered Villanova an elite team (which the reporter said they were).

Comment

• The BE established itself as a private school conference. Its what they wanted. Let it go.
                  Phi Alpha

Comment

• The Big East is not what it once was, although better than the Valley; it is more what the "old" Valley was like when most teams were competitive.

Comment

• We need to be in a conference where the schools' main focus is basketball, with a secondary in baseball. Is there such a thing (or are there such schools)?

Comment

I don't think travel in the AAC would be too much more expensive than the MVC.
                        Several of the AAC are former MVC members ... Tulsa, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Houston ... so it can't be that big an issue.

Comment

The AAC IS going to add a basketball school this offseason. They are not going to hold steady at 11 basketball members. That's just a weird number. They're also not going to take a full member and have a 13-team football conference. Also just a weird number. Those create bizarre and unfair scheduling arrangements.

The question is, are we going to be that basketball school? With another strong NCAA tournament, I think we are. We would bring a lot of advantages to the AAC, including geographic balance to its membership beyond the obvious basketball strength. Our competition would be Saint Louis, IMO, and I'm not sure the AAC would want to take a member that so clearly fits what the Big East is putting together. VCU would also work, but VCU might be more hesitant to switch conferences, would create an eastern imbalance in membership, and aren't having as great a year this year.

The AAC is going to expand this year. And we are in excellent position to be the school they expand with.
                          I see the logic, but I don't see the indications in the public domain in that is what they are looking to do. In other conference realignment talk they publically are open that they are going to try and add 1 member and have them on board by June 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                            The Big East is not what it once was, although better than the Valley; it is more what the "old" Valley was like when most teams were competitive.
                            Not so sure on a year to year basis it will be better than the Valley
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                              Not so sure on a year to year basis it will be better than the Valley
                              Eh, I hate Creighton as much as the next guy but the New Big Priest will be head and shoulders above the MVC, especially if we ever find the escape hatch. The budget differences are staggering.

Nobody aside from Bradley and kinda-sorta-Illinois State even pretends to care about basketball from a $$$ standpoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Shouldn't you be more concerned with the musings surrounding UMKC?

And if by "fine" you mean "fail", then I wholeheartedly agree.
                                Go Roo's! Thanks for checking.

Comment

Working...
                                X