American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
    I am almost giddy in anticipation for basketball season. Last year as we sat through blowout after blowout at home, literally bored, we started discussing whether or not we could move leagues for this year. The valley was obviously going to be even worse and we were going to loaded. I didn't want to sit through it again. We talked about how the American would be a perfect fit because we wouldn't have to worry about bringing back football. Thought it made to much sense for it to actually happen. Needless to say I am actually excited for home basketball games this year!
    Im just glad they were able to work out WSU going to the AAC right away. A lot of times, there is a 1 or 2 year waiting period between the move. In this case, with all the talent WSU returns, it just great they made it happen right away.

That said, If Shamet leaves for the NBA and WSU graduates 5 seniors ( i think its 5); do WSU fans expect there to be a pretty big drop off from this year to next? Like would they still be a top 25 team is more the question as I know having back to back top 10 teams is hard for anyone not a blue blood

Comment

• Originally posted by Justinhub2003 View Post
      Im just glad they were able to work out WSU going to the AAC right away. A lot of times, there is a 1 or 2 year waiting period between the move. In this case, with all the talent WSU returns, it just great they made it happen right away.

That said, If Shamet leaves for the NBA and WSU graduates 5 seniors ( i think its 5); do WSU fans expect there to be a pretty big drop off from this year to next? Like would they still be a top 25 team is more the question as I know having back to back top 10 teams is hard for anyone not a blue blood
      I don't think we know. Other than to say, as long as Marshall is still here, I wouldn't bet against it. He has graduated a lot of talent before and kept the team relevant. As an example, 2013 was supposed to be a rebuilding year. So was last year.

Comment

Don't really know yet. I think you can argue that the talent that is coming in is higher than in any period before it. If Marshall is here, i think we will always be in the conversation for Top 25.

Comment

Actually it is 6 seniors completing eligibility. It's difficult to say for sure how much of a drop off, if any, would occur but losing that much experience and a player to the NBA will make it a very big challenge. If the Shocks do fall of a bit I don't expect they will fall too far but no way to really know for sure. If the Shocks are down, by whatever degree, I would not expect that to last long.

Comment

• Both Shamet and McDuffie coming back would be huge. It would give us a full year to work in the new guys. We could still be Sweet 16 level team with those two plus the rookies.

Comment

I'm not very good at predicting things, but I would lean towards WSU being a top 50ish type team if they lost one early NBA guy and the seniors for next season, at the least. I base that on sustained success/mostly improvement year over year from Coach Marshall while he's been at WSU and what we know of the talent remaining and coming in. It's really easy to overlook "the other guy" and I know most AAC programs have recruited well and we all like the potential of "our guys". That being said, Gregg Marshall coaching, for instance, McDuffie, Reaves, Keyser, Haynes-Jones & Midtgaard plus new pieces and additions should be enough to maintain at top 50ish type program, if not better.

That being said, top 50 might not get you into the top 5 in a power conference like the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I'm not very good at predicting things
                :bball_spin:
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I'm not very good at predicting things, but I would lean towards WSU being a top 50ish type team if they lost one early NBA guy and the seniors for next season, at the least. I base that on sustained success/mostly improvement year over year from Coach Marshall while he's been at WSU and what we know of the talent remaining and coming in. It's really easy to overlook "the other guy" and I know most AAC programs have recruited well and we all like the potential of "our guys". That being said, Gregg Marshall coaching, for instance, McDuffie, Reaves, Keyser, Haynes-Jones & Midtgaard plus new pieces and additions should be enough to maintain at top 50ish type program, if not better.
                  You are too pessimistic IMO; no way the Shockers drop out of the Top 25 with the departure of the six Seniors and one early NBA guy. HC3G's Marshall Plan has a roster in place and recruits lined-up that will IMO keep the Shockers in the Top 25; too early to confirm a Top Ten team but I am hopeful that next years roster will strengthen over the season and the Shockers will once again be a team to be feared as the Big Dance seeds unfold for 2019.

In HC3G I believe and trust.

Comment

• One of the things that I see as an influence on how WSU can recover from graduation this year over previous years is our losing two assistant coaches and the longevity that they provided. The new ones will have a year under their belts but it won't be as easy.

Comment

• According to 247sports, we only have four players in the top 250 on this team. One of them is freshman Rodgerick Brown, the other threebare Frankamp, Shamet and McDuffie. WSU tends to do well with “the right players”. That shouldn’t change too much despite the roster turnover.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• 247sports has never heard of Asbjorn Mitgaard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          247sports has never heard of Asbjorn Mitgaard
                          They will!
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• So I'm hearing that the ticket office will not be providing ANY tickets for fans (outside of boosters I'm sure) for any non-con or conference road games...basically, they are leaving us hanging. Thanks for nothing!! Yes, I'm pissed off about this...

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                              So I'm hearing that the ticket office will not be providing ANY tickets for fans (outside of boosters I'm sure) for any non-con or conference road games...basically, they are leaving us hanging. Thanks for nothing!! Yes, I'm pissed off about this...
                              It is unfortunate because the athletics department isn’t always good at communication. That seems to be that crux of the issue: lack of communication.

Not that it helps for this year since this is probably the most anticipated season ever...but let’s give this a year or two to play out so that we can see how this process works. I think a lot of people, athletics staffers included, are simply unsure of what to expect with every detail of this transition to The American.
                              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                                So I'm hearing that the ticket office will not be providing ANY tickets for fans (outside of boosters I'm sure) for any non-con or conference road games...basically, they are leaving us hanging. Thanks for nothing!! Yes, I'm pissed off about this...
                                Yea...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X