American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JKLshocker View Post
    I'm curious as to what all of you think about the possibility of the Big 12 loosing more schools in future realignment. I personally am a little worried that if, for example, six schools left the Big 12 that the remaining four would scoop up Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCONN and the Florida schools to go back to 10. At that point the American could almost be Valley weak after adding football-minded schools to replace the six who left. I'm only asking because there has been a lot of talk on the AAC board about this recently. It would be nice to think that the American could add the four remaining Big 12 teams if six did leave, but that's not what happened when the old Big East fell apart. I just don't want our basketball to be hurt by football moves to the point where we are in another weak conference that doesn't merit our additional travel costs (whether they are significant or not). Even if only 2 or 4 Big 12 teams left, it's likely that the teams picked up to replace them would come from the American. I have found myself, for our sake of course, rooting for the Big 12 to somehow stabilize and retain all 10 of its current members without going to 12. Thoughts?
    A concern that will nag us for the foreseeable future. Doesn't mean it will happen but conference volatility is a reality.

Hot topic on the AAC board.
    AACbbs: The #1 Board for American Athletic Conference sports on the internet.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by JKLshocker View Post
      I'm curious as to what all of you think about the possibility of the Big 12 loosing more schools in future realignment. I personally am a little worried that if, for example, six schools left the Big 12 that the remaining four would scoop up Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCONN and the Florida schools to go back to 10. At that point the American could almost be Valley weak after adding football-minded schools to replace the six who left. I'm only asking because there has been a lot of talk on the AAC board about this recently. It would be nice to think that the American could add the four remaining Big 12 teams if six did leave, but that's not what happened when the old Big East fell apart. I just don't want our basketball to be hurt by football moves to the point where we are in another weak conference that doesn't merit our additional travel costs (whether they are significant or not). Even if only 2 or 4 Big 12 teams left, it's likely that the teams picked up to replace them would come from the American. I have found myself, for our sake of course, rooting for the Big 12 to somehow stabilize and retain all 10 of its current members without going to 12. Thoughts?
      Six big 12 schools aren't going to leave at once. If two leave, then we have to consider the real possibility that UConn and Cinci will leave. If three leave, it's more likely than not that the remainders will be looking for homes and teams like KSU, Baylor, ISU, OSU, WVU, and TCU will be looking for new homes. Two will be picked up by the American.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Six big 12 schools aren't going to leave at once. If two leave, then we have to consider the real possibility that UConn and Cinci will leave. If three leave, it's more likely than not that the remainders will be looking for homes and teams like KSU, Baylor, ISU, OSU, WVU, and TCU will be looking for new homes. Two will be picked up by the American.
        Sort of my thoughts as well. I'm not sure that any of the current American schools are so highly thought of that a raided Big 12 would rush to scoop them up in another round of realignment. I think all the Big 12 members know they're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and their aim is to get into another P5 conference. I'm not sure the Big 12 survives the next round of realignment, and I think it will be a race between the MWC and AAC for the leftover schools the P5/4 don't want (perhaps KSU, ISU, and TCU).
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• The P4X16 =

WVU to the ACC
          Texas and Texas Tech or OU/OSU to the SEC
          Texas and Texas Tech or OU/OSU + BYU and Boise St/TCU/Baylor to the Pac-12
          KU and ISU/KSU to the Big 10

ISU/KSU and TCU/Baylor to the American.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Which schools in the big 12 make it P5?

Point being, what's the point at which schools leaving the big 12 make that conference less attractive to join than stay in the AAC.

Eg. If Texas, OU, TCU and Baylor arent in the big 12, is it a P5 football conference?

What if Texas and OU leave?

Which schools can the big 12 lose and still maintain gravitas toward it?
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Losing Texas and OU puts the Big12 at the level of the American.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Hopefully, even supporters who are not season ticket holders from Wichita, and other locations are willing to chip in. It's easy to accuse others of whining who are making a significant investment, and not invest yourself (you may or may not be this way) except to watch on the television, and maybe attend an occasional game when it's convenient.
                Interesting passive aggressive response

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Interesting passive aggressive response
                  You're in Texas where all the big money is. Can you please give a couple more of millions of dollars to WSU? The sooner the better.

:)
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

The P4X16 =

WVU to the ACC

At this point, Notre Dame will have no choice but to become a full member of the ACC. They will no longer be able to cobble a schedule together. That leaves one less entry into the P-4 lottery. This is also where it gets dicey for KU. KU fans think the B1G is there for the taking... It's not. The B1G doesn't need another basketball school. Moreover, they are desperate for another competitive football school in the west, Kansas doesn't fit the bill, OU, Texas and even Kansas State, do.

I'm not saying KU is out, they certainly aren't, but football drives expansion, KU is quite possibly the worst football school in the P-5, and KU brings zero eyeballs to football. I know Kansans assume KU to the B1G is a slam dunk, but it isn't.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• You are right Movalley John, Football is driving expansion. KU is not much more relevant in Football than WSU.

Comment

• I agree that KU Football is hot garbage...but if the Big Ten needs to add 2 more to get to the magic number of 16, who else could it add?

Basically, I'm asking for a 4x16 scenario that doesn't involve KU.
                        78-65

Comment

The P4X16 =

WVU to the ACC

I doubt Texas Tech ends up in the SEC. I think OSU/OU have to go together, so they will likely end up in the SEC. KSU and ISU will end up in the American. There's nothing keeping KU from separating conferences with KSU.

This is how I see it shaking out:

Texas/OU/OSU --> SEC
                          KSU/ISU/TCU/Baylor/TTU --> American
                          KU --> Big Ten
                          WVU --> ACC or Big Ten
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Say what you will of KU football, but I do think KU basketball may have enough value to a conference to make up for their abysmal football program. I guess it depends on whether the big 10 can have another dud FB team. Because, honestly, they have a few FB teams that suck already.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• If Rutgers football is good enough for the Big 10 thew would have no problem taking KU.

Comment

• Except Rutgers was supposed to bring the NY/NJ market, plus they are in the east. The east has Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State. The west has???? Nebraska? Iowa? Oh, wait, they have Wisconsin. There is a huge imbalance in football. It is a huge problem.

The Kansas Jayhawks bring a great basketball team, but they don't bring a huge media market and they bring zero football to balance their east-west imbalance. KU just might squeek in, but that would be because the available football schools went elsewhere, not because the B1G wanted more basketball. Adding Kansas exacerbates an already big B1G problem, poor football in the west.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X