American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    Count me in the camp that says our current run, along with what we've been doing the past few years, coupled with the overall strength of our athletic department as a whole, might just open some doors for us. I think MWC and A10 are both outside, but not completely unrealistic, potentials. The MWC is obviously a step up from the Valley. The A10 looks to be stronger from a long-term perspective than the MVC.

People in MWC land are talking about us, albeit in low volumes. There's a 3 page thread going on right now on the Fresno State board. That's how deals start - with specualtion.
    It''s a good thread and overall very complimentary, though there's one particular uninformed poster over there.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Actually two uninformed posters.

So Gonzaga wouldn't want to join the MWC because they don't want to be lumped in with a bunch of state schools?

Comment

• Thats some funny stuff on that board! Most of them in the know, but one guy is a crown jewell of colossal ignorance.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I like the MWC. and dare I say the proposal that Lutz wrote up seems very very good. Of course thats my vantage point as a WSU fan/student and hopefully soon to be alum.

I think it would hurt recruiting some as all of the games are played out West and good portion of our recruits come from the SE. Could that change? yeah of course and plus there is always OOC games to schedule. But one of the good things about the league is while the Valley lost Creighton... by joining the MVC we would essentially be joining about 2-3 more Creightons.

All the programs looked to be pretty even keeled. Not a real "bottom feeder" per se. Even though SJSU and Wyoming were fitting of that stature. New Mexico & UNLV have long standing tradition. SDSU has been a major player in the last decade. Colorado state seems to be up with b2b appearances in the NCAA Tourney.

Is it a move the MWC needs to make? probably not but would it be wise? I think so.

Comment

• I like the crowds and arena's in the MWC!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• The only thing mid major about the Shockers is the MVC. There is nothing mid major about MWC hoops. It is a better fit for us.
              In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                The only thing mid major about the Shockers is the MVC. There is nothing mid major about MWC hoops. It is a better fit for us.
                Trop, think of the recruiting possibilities. You may have to clone yourself to keep up.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  Trop, think of the recruiting possibilities. You may have to clone yourself to keep up.
                  I can't keep up now with the Shockers doing so well in the dance and also having some trouble with the computer. I welcome the help.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• One more good reason for WSU to be knocking on the MWC's door and begging

Comment

• Originally posted by benishock View Post
                      One more good reason for WSU to be knocking on the MWC's door and begging
                      Yep. I don't want to have any connection with ORU.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

• No brainer. Road games in Feb to San Diego and Las Vegas instead of Evansville and Northern Iowa. Playing in front of 18,000 maniacs in New Mexico instead of a few hundred at Drake. Do whatever you have to do. Legally bribe your way in if necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          One is the A-10 which at this point doesn't necessarily look like enough of a move up to justify that move
                          I've seen a number of people make this argument, and I don't get it.

Currently, yes, I would say that the A-10 isn't much better than the MVC. They are better, but yeah, maybe not that much better.

But that's comparing the MVC with Wichita State to the A-10 without Wichita State. What league is going to be better ... MVC with all current members + ORU, or an A-10 with Wichita State and maybe one other MVC member? And if future movements happen ... which conference is set up to expand in the future? The MVC in a midwest devoid of good basketball programs, or the A-10 with connections through the east coast and midwest?

Which conference gives us the chance to make a decent TV deal? Whatever TV deal the MVC already had just got gutted when Creighton left. An A-10 with VCU, Saint Louis, and Wichita State at the top should be able to get a decent deal that actually gets us television coverage. With Creighton gone, we're only going to get on TV if we're ranked now.

The A-10, even without Xavier and Butler, still has five teams that had higher RPIs than any MVC team not named WSU or Creighton, and another three teams in the top 100 RPI. Yeah, their RPI will go down without those two teams, but the MVC's RPI will go down without Creighton. It would be bad if Saint Louis and Dayton left the A-10, without a doubt ... but the A-10 is in a far better geographic position to replace programs. And they'd be in a position to poach from the MVC in doing so.

The A-10 would be a massive improvement for us ... today and for the future. The MWC would be as well, and would be an even better option than the A-10. I'm all for joining either one. The only thing the MVC has proven is that it will take the most conservative action every step of the way. I have no doubt that in doing so, the MVC will still exist 50 years from now ... although as a one-bid, possibly top 20 basketball conference. We know the conference has been on a downward trajectory for decades ... it's well past time we got off the bus.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• The A-10 footprint sucks for Wichita State. Butler, Xavier and Temple moving on to other conferences. How will that effect the RPI's.

As of right now that leaves:

Charlotte
                            Dayton
                            Dusquesne
                            Fordham
                            George Washington
                            LaSalle
                            UMass
                            Rhode Island
                            Richmond
                            St. Bonaventure
                            St. Joseph
                            St. Louis
                            VCU

I guess George Mason is coming in next year.

How many of those will be gone in the next year or two. If Dayton and St. Louis leave then the A-10 is pretty much a pure East coast conference. I just can't get excited at all about the A-10 outside of VCU and maybe Dayton. St. Louis we will have to see.

I think I would rather hold off and see what develops with the Mountain West or the Big Preist. Not betting either one of those will come to fruition for us, but not sure the A-10 or some remnant of it won't always be available. However, even if it is available I don't see it being that attractive overall and I doubt Dr. Bardo will take us in that direction, but we will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              The A-10 footprint sucks for Wichita State. Butler, Xavier and Temple moving on to other conferences.

As of right now that leaves:

Charlotte
                              Dayton
                              Dusquesne
                              Fordham
                              George Washington
                              LaSalle
                              UMass
                              Rhode Island
                              Richmond
                              St. Bonaventure
                              St. Joseph
                              St. Louis
                              VCU

I guess George Mason is coming in next year.

How many of those will be gone in the next year or two. If Dayton and St. Louis leave then the A-10 is pretty much a pure East coast conference.

I think I would rather hold off and see what develops with the Mountain West or the Big Preist. Not betting either one of those will come to fruition for us, but not sure the A-10 or some remnant of it won't always be available. However, even if it is available I don't see it being that attractive overall and I doubt Dr. Bardo will take us in that direction, but we will see.
                              Charlotte is also leaving for CUSA. UMass is a possibility to be gone in the not too distant future. You can expect SLU to join the Big East in the next year or two. Dayton is very likely to join them. There's really nothing left in the midwest after that. And considering how disinterested everyone on here was about adding any of the MW schools that are left, I'm not sure why joining an A10 that would have to add 4 or so others in the MW to make any sense for us...
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I have to wonder how long VCU will hang around the A-10 also. It is already not the same league they thought they were joining? Not sure where they go though.

Comment

Working...
                                X