American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
    The problem is that they all have options, because all have D-1 football. Crappy D-1 football, yes, but it's still football nonetheless. This means that they all likely jump at the first opportunity they get. If we jump and Cincinatti, Memphis, and UCONN jump, we are left in a worse situation than we are presently in. It's an intriguing option, but a very unstable one if you ask me.

Please don't mistake me as an MVC apologist. If a good option presents itself, we need to get out of the MVC immediately.
    I'm not at all :) And I'm not discounting the options available to them. However, do we really want to be in a situation where we have stability only because of a lack of options?

We have that in the MVC now. With Creighton gone, we are the only team with options. Because teams without options generally stink.

No conference is ever going to be perfectly stable. While I could see one of those three leaving the conference in the next decade, I really don't see many scenarios where all three do. In fact, the only scenario I see is a blood-bath in conference realignment where either the B1G or the SEC begins raiding the ACC, and the other joins in, possibly with the B12. If the ACC has to replace 4-6 schools, then all three of those are up.

I would much rather be in a conference with only public, basketball-only schools. But that's not really an option.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Comment

• Is there any talk of WSU to the AAC other than on this board? Or to the MWC other than this board and a couple of MWC boards following our run? I would like either option over the current MVC, but the lack of wider speculation makes me think it probably remains pretty remote.
        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
          Is there any talk of WSU to the AAC other than on this board? Or to the MWC other than this board and a couple of MWC boards following our run? I would like either option over the current MVC, but the lack of wider speculation makes me think it probably remains pretty remote.
          I did find an AAC bulletin board yesterday that had some discussions that included WSU, VCU and others. I'll try to hunt it down again and post it here.

Edit: Found the discussion here.
          Last edited by TxShox; April 11, 2013, 08:00 AM. Reason: Include Link

Comment

• I don't think any of us started the talks about these conferences. I know I've seen the discussions elsewhere before they ever showed up on SN.

I was on the Indiana State board yesterday and their Admin seems to prefer bringing in a weaker program that plays more sports so that the Trees can be more competitive. Apparently some in the conference fear progress and being pushed. If more feel that way then the MVC is a sinking ship with no hope of ever being more. I don't think that's the prevailing thought though. Or at least I hope it isn't.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I don't think any of us started the talks about these conferences. I know I've seen the discussions elsewhere before they ever showed up on SN.

I was on the Indiana State board yesterday and their Admin seems to prefer bringing in a weaker program that plays more sports so that the Trees can be more competitive. Apparently some in the conference fear progress and being pushed. If more feel that way then the MVC is a sinking ship with no hope of ever being more. I don't think that's the prevailing thought though. Or at least I hope it isn't.
              I'm afraid this fits in too well with the Valley leadership's current philosophy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                I'm afraid this fits in too well with the Valley leadership's current philosophy.
                I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I'm not going to go quite that far until we hear who the choice is.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Latest news is that ISUr, ISUb( yes, Indiana State), and Mo State have been in contact with the Sun Belt.
                  Prediction, ISUr to the MAC and MO State to CUSA before 2020. We need to get into the AAC or MW ASAP.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I'm not going to go quite that far until we hear who the choice is.
                    given one of elgin's responses about replacing creighton, i cant see it being too far from the truth. add in the dragging of their feet adding DBU for baseball only and you really question where this conference is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                      given one of elgin's responses about replacing creighton, i cant see it being too far from the truth. add in the dragging of their feet adding DBU for baseball only and you really question where this conference is going.
                      I'm trying to be positive
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                        Latest news is that ISUr, ISUb( yes, Indiana State), and Mo State have been in contact with the Sun Belt.
                        Prediction, ISUr to the MAC and MO State to CUSA before 2020. We need to get into the AAC or MW ASAP.
                        Where have you heard that? I've seen a few fans at the CSN board talk about bringing Arkansas State and MSU into CUSA together. Haven't seen any talk about the ISUs being options anywhere. Did see some talk about MSU to the Belt awhile back but MSU fans didn't seem to be fans of that idea for how big of a downgrade it'd be for basketball.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Nevermind. I'm guessing you saw the tweet that I just came across on the CSN board. They were listed with 8 other schools or something. I don't think either are a serious threat to jump right now. The 'Birds eventually. Trees have plenty of other issues to overcome.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Is Arkansas State a better program than UALR?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Is Arkansas State a better program than UALR?
                              They have a pretty good football team. Little Rock doesn't have a football team. I'm not sure how good stAte is on the hardwood.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Apparently Belmont, ORU, and Denver are now on the list to replace CU.

Belmont is close to SIU, UE, and InSU so travel would not be as much of a consideration than it would be with Denver. Denver has pro baseball, basketball, and football, so Belmont could probably have better local fan appeal than Denver.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X