No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does everyone here stop to think that some of the schools being discussed as possible MVC adds are in North Dakota and Tennessee? I guess it doesn't matter for the basketball team; a charter flight is a charter flight -- some just take a little longer. But what about the teams who travel by bus? At some point, travel just becomes impractical.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
      If SLU isn't included in the C7, would they be a possibility to join the MVC? It would make alot of sense if they aren't moving. They would no longer have the geographic bridge to the A-10 either. What about Belmont?

I think that NDSU is a better option than SDSU. Murray St. would be good because they seem to be getting better. ORU would be a good addition for our other sports and travel. Murray St. would be a close pick for the poor sisters such as EU, ISUb, and SIU.
      A big NO on SLU. Majerus was the only one ringing that bell. From what I've read they recruit students from the east and have no desire to leave their current footprint.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Does everyone here stop to think that some of the schools being discussed as possible MVC adds are in North Dakota and Tennessee? I guess it doesn't matter for the basketball team; a charter flight is a charter flight -- some just take a little longer. But what about the teams who travel by bus? At some point, travel just becomes impractical.
        Is Nashville much further than Terre Haute or Evansville?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          Is Nashville much further than Terre Haute or Evansville?
          Nashville = 681
          Evansville = 610
          Terre Haute = 606
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• And I'm not too concerned about travel. We could fly teams to one or two spots if they're "too far" away. It wouldn't kill the athletic department.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A big NO on SLU. Majerus was the only one ringing that bell. From what I've read they recruit students from the east and have no desire to leave their current footprint.
              And that has been soooo successful for them.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                The only thing that could keep the A10 on our level, even without CU, is VCU. But the bottom of the A10 is worse than that of the MVC.

If the C7 goes to 12, as is expected, I see Xavier, Butler, Dayton, SLU and CU going. Now the A10 is just VCU. And there has been some talk that the football playing BE schools could add some nonfootball members to strengthen basketball and VCU may be a prime target for them. IF that happens, the A10 sucks.

The MVC would be better off replacing Creighton with three schools I think. Who is up for debate, but schools that will be talked about are NDSU, SDSU, Wright State, Milwaukee, Murray State, Belmont and possibly ORU. I'd like to see some discussion for Arlington and even Denver as well. If I had to pick three right now without doing a lot of research, I'm going with Arlington, Wright State and Murray State. That puts us in Texas, Ohio and Kentucky. But I go back and forth on a handful of schools in this situation and more research would need to be done.
                Agreed. A big fat NO to the A-10 if they lose their powerhouses, or enough of them, or their westerly ones. I'd say a big fat YES to the MWC if they were adding enough eastern schools (like Tulsa or the TX schools and/or NMSU) to split into 2 divisions--otherwise sending our tennis and softball teams to San Diego and San Jose every year makes no sense. It was interesting to see the MWC did split its football schools into 2 divisions--I know I'm grasping at straws but I'm hopeful that's a sign.

Unfortunately, the most likely scenario is us getting stuck in the MVC. If CU leaves, the MVC better add some damn good basketball schools or HCGM is stuck back in the same situation he was in at Winthrop, and that makes me EXTREMELY nervous.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Nashville = 681
                  Evansville = 610
                  Terre Haute = 606
                  Thanks for the question and research, guys. I probably should have looked it up myself -- maybe it just sounds farther (although at least Nashville is still Central time). Also, maybe an indication that WSU doesn't really fit all that well with their poor Indiana brethren, either, which isn't exactly new information.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                    Thanks for the question and research, guys. I probably should have looked it up myself -- maybe it just sounds farther (although at least Nashville is still Central time). Also, maybe an indication that WSU doesn't really fit all that well with their poor Indiana brethren, either, which isn't exactly new information.
                    I think the problem might come from some of the other athletic departments. Nashville to Cedar Falls is 653 miles. I'm sure our athletic department could handle the extra travel costs but could UNI's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
                      I think the problem might come from some of the other athletic departments. Nashville to Cedar Falls is 653 miles. I'm sure our athletic department could handle the extra travel costs but could UNI's?
                      If that's what expansion/replacement comes down to, this conference is F'd
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        And that has been soooo successful for them.
                        I did say students, not student-athletes.

Comment

I did say students, not student-athletes.
                          Ahhh, missed that -- thanks for the correction.

In your opinion does having a poor sports team playing in the east really help recruit students from the east? On the surface, that's like trying to sell a car by showing the buyer the catalytic converter, instead of the plush interior. It must be working though.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
                            Unless you stay within the current footprint, somebody is going to have to travel further than their current farthest distance. If spending an extra 2 hours on a bus when they're already on it for 10 hours is too much, then that school needs to drop a level.

The MVC is already fairly compact, considering we're not on the eastern seaboard. The conference could surely handle moving half-way into Tennessee or South Dakota. Is it any different than pulling in Ohio to get Dayton/Xavier, as many here suggested when realignment talk began?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Ahhh, missed that -- thanks for the correction.

In your opinion does having a poor sports team playing in the east really help recruit students from the east? On the surface, that's like trying to sell a car by showing the buyer the catalytic converter, instead of the plush interior. It must be working though.
                              I have no idea, but that's what I keep reading everytime it's mentioned on other boards (MVCFans and others dedicated to realignment). I guess I can see some advantage to recruiting students in areas where you already have some visibility due to athletics and where the populations are more concentrated.

Comment

• We need to win our asses off this year and hook the ol' trailer up to BJ's hitch (as much as it pains me to say that). I would consider converting to paganism to fit in if it means our team gets to move to the C7. I'm willing to sacrifice for the Shockers.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                                X