No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, Eric, get us out of the D-2 league this will become.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      We need to look at this differently than we are. Marquette, DePaul, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova

We need to look at TV Markets. Money is the key to survival, and here are the numbers that matter:

Obviously the 7 have their markets, and the name to go with them:

St. John's - Queens, NY (#1)
      Seton Hall - New York, NY (#1)
      DePaul - Chicago, IL (#3)
      Villanova - Philadelphia, PA (#4)
      Georgetown - Washington, DC (#9)
      Marquette - Milwaukee, WI (#35)
      Providence - Providence, RI (#52)

Teams mentioned as possible affiliates and others I think should be considered:

St. Joseph's - Philadelphia, PA (#4)
      UMASS - Boston, MA (#7)
      Detroit - Detroit, MI (#11)
      Cleveland St. - Cleveland, OH (#17)
      Denver - Denver, CO (#18)
      St. Louis - St. Louis (#21)
      Duquesne - Pittsburgh, PA (#23)
      Butler - Indianapolis, IN (#25)
      Xavier - Cincinnati, OH (#34)
      VCU - Richmond, VA (#58)
      Dayton - Dayton, OH (#64)
      Wichita St. - Wichita, KS (#69)
      Gonzaga - Spokane, WA (#75)
      Creighton - Omaha, NE (#76)

I would dig into breaking this down on average between TV Market, avg RPI the past 5 years, and athletic budget. I wonder if we could make up some of the difference in TV market size.
      I actually did some analysis of this, but I used information on actual college basketball viewership (Nielsen metered ratings). We apparently were enough of an interest to be listed as a major team in KC, one of the biggest media markets for college basketball. Here is how that turned out:

Top 37 College Basketball markets (by Nielsen metered market rating):

1. Raleigh-Durham 30,872
      2. Louisville 30,332
      3. Kansas City 26,313
      4. Charlotte 26,241
      5. Atlanta 25,219
      6. Columbus 25,182
      7. Greensboro 24,192
      8. Cleveland 21,198
      9. Indianapolis 19,979
      10. Chicago 18949
      11. Cincinnati 18,818
      12. Detroit 18,427
      13. Nashville 16,393
      14. Los Angeles 15278
      15. St Louis 15,047
      16. Houston 12870
      17. Hartford 12,075
      15. Pittsburgh 11,715
      16. Memphis 10,719
      17. Birmingham 10,343
      18. Las Vegas 10,322
      19. Dallas/Fort Worth 9909
      20. Dayton 9,872
      21. Knoxville 9,500
      22. Norfolk 8,625
      23. San Diego 7957
      24. Phoenix 7347
      25. Oklahoma City 7,126
      26. Jacksonville 6,698
      27. Richmond 6,153
      28. Fort Myers 5,547
      29. Washington D.C. 5561
      30. Tulsa 5,291
      31. Milwaukee 4782
      32. Greenville 4,614
      33. Tampa/St. Petersburg 4137
      34. Albuquerque 3316
      35. San Francisco 3251
      36. Orlando, Florida 1945
      37. West Palm Beach, Florida: 707

So here is what we can get when we plug teams in:

Catholic 7 (estimating non-listed markets at 0.15 rating)

DePaul (Chicago): 18494
      Georgetown (Washington, D.C): 5561
      Marquette (Milwaukee): 4782
      ----information below may not be accurate----
      Seton Hall (New York): 12367
      St. John's (New York): 12367
      Villanova (Philadelphia): 2304 (smaller actually, as that would be for all college basketball teams in Philly)
      Providence (Providence): 267 (I'd expect about 1000-2000 in reality)

Potential candidates
      Wichita State (Kansas City): 26313 (smaller, because KC is split already between KU, KState, and Missouri fans, but would also dominate Wichita market)

Butler (Indianapolis): 19979
      Xavier (Cincinnati): 18818 (larger, because it would also draw a portion of Dayton)
      Saint Louis (Saint Louis): 15047
      Duquesne (Pittsburgh): 11715
      Dayton (Dayton): 9872 (see: Xavier)
      VCU (Richmond): 6153
      Richmond (Richmond): 6153
      ----information below may not be accurate----

Creighton (Omaha): 622 (would expect 2000-3000)
      Gonzaga (Spokane): 315 (would expect 1000+)

Essentially, population is important, but the sports ecology of the local environment plays a HUGE factor. The biggest thing I took from those rankings was the impact that college football and the NFL had on college basketball viewership. Areas with a lack of quality college football (North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky) simply have more room to expand and create fans. The NFL has an even larger affect; major NFL cities tend to be really saturated markets which makes it hard for CBB to get viewers. Kansas City is likely an exception because of the continued excellence of KU and perennial lackluster performances from the Chiefs, and I still think that the local NFL team might be responsible for keeping them from being the #1 overall basketball city.
      Last edited by CBB_Fan; January 6, 2013, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay Dog View Post
        Some funny stuff from Terrence Haute Trib Star Trees Beat Writer Todd Golden on MVC Conference realignment. He must also take time to read the most delusional and awful fan forum I have ever seen.
        The beat writer for Indiana State checks in on the Sycamores and their recent success.

Stay undefeated in the MVC for two more weeks!
        P.S. there is also some great stuff by Oourt Jester in this thread by your CBB FAN:
        http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=608810&page=8
        Thanks Todd Goldey for stopping by Shockernet and caring enough about us to mention us in your media briefings. Unfortunately, a Terre TruckStop beat writer's opinion on anything WSU and "big time" is worth about peanuts.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay Dog View Post
          The latest!
          $500 million
          Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Wowza!
          Looking more and more at the Catholic 7, I don't get much of the appeal. I certainly wouldn't be interested in watching much of that. Most of those schools are horrible and have been horrible in basketball for a while now. Not to mention ugly. I've never seen a team ugly games up as much as Georgetown does.

Those saying this new league would be a 5 or 6 team mega bid league are full of themselves. It doesn't look like a big deal to me personally. Sure, it's gonna pay for your meals for a while, but I would equate it to Big East v 2.0. And in case you missed anything, Big East v. 1.0 hasn't been doing so well lately.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• The Indiana State beat writer makes some good points though.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              The Indiana State beat writer makes some good points though.
              Did you read his article? He was referring to our message board and the speculation by fans of a potential move to the MWC. The guy is a tool.

For all of the fan hysteria about what conference their school is going to jump to if the MVC were to implode, I’ve never seen a single reputable source that has any of the MVC schools — aside from Creighton — going anywhere.
              A scientific study could be done on the group-think it takes among some on a message board fanbase like, say, Wichita State’s, to speculate amongst themselves about moving to the Mountain West Conference, then collectively convince themselves it could happen, and then think it’s a distinct possibility it will happen.
              This despite the fact that WSU doesn’t play football, which drives the vast majority of these moves, and that it’s never once been mentioned as an expansion candidate for that conference, or any other that I’m aware of, by anyone other than people speculating on message boards or blogs. It’s pie-in-the-sky
              Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; January 6, 2013, 10:19 AM.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• $500 million., yes. But not with equal distribution.

But based on initial reports, Butler and Xavier would not be willing to join if they do not receive an equal share. It is believed Dayton and Creighton would be the same way.

Wonder, based on TV rating above, what would happen if 10-12 basketball dedicated schools not in the C7 banded together?

East:
                Xavier
                Butler
                Dayton
                VCU
                George Mason
                Richmond

West:
                Creighton
                Bradley
                Wichita State
                Gonzaga
                St. Louis
                St. Mary's

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  $500 million., yes. But not with equal distribution.

But based on initial reports, Butler and Xavier would not be willing to join if they do not receive an equal share. It is believed Dayton and Creighton would be the same way.

Wonder, based on TV rating above, what would happen if 10-12 basketball dedicated schools not in the C7 banded together?

East:
                  Xavier
                  Butler
                  Dayton
                  VCU
                  George Mason
                  Richmond

West:
                  Creighton
                  Bradley
                  Wichita State
                  Gonzaga
                  St. Louis
                  St. Mary's
                  This! I've felt all along that this C7 is a very self-centered thing. Imagine DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence getting twice the TV revenue that Xavier, Butler, and VCU. If this is how the C7 sees things at the beginning, it isn't going to get any better later.

Your league, DSB, simply reminds us that the additions the C7 are considering (to be lesser members) are better basketball schools on the whole than the original C7. In other words, the C7 in banking on the quality of the additions to make them big bucks without equally sharing those dollars.

Comment

• Even without an auto bid the first 5-7 years, that conference could get half the schools dancing just about every year and COULD be a top 5 conference.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• It could also create travel partners, hit many of the top basketball markets, and cover all time slots sequentially for TV purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        This! I've felt all along that this C7 is a very self-centered thing. Imagine DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence getting twice the TV revenue that Xavier, Butler, and VCU. If this is how the C7 sees things at the beginning, it isn't going to get any better later.

Your league, DSB, simply reminds us that the additions the C7 are considering (to be lesser members) are better basketball schools on the whole than the original C7. In other words, the C7 in banking on the quality of the additions to make them big bucks without equally sharing those dollars.
                        I am VERY doubtful that this sort of deal will ever come to pass. Sure, you can say that it may only be temporary,or that the schools would still make significantly more than they would in the MVC or A-10. But that isn't really true. TV revenues are only a small portion of total athletic revenue -it would bump Xavier from $15 million to $17 million, for example- and an even smaller portion of a school's operating budget at around 1%.

More so, it starts the league off with no stability and without an equal balance of power. That is bad for the schools coming in and bad for the conference in general. The Big East broke up because the basketball schools were treated as inferior members of the conference, and doing the same thing to the incoming members is a good way to destroy the conference before it ever starts. It also firmly enforces the idea that the new members are "just mid-majors" which would make the whole conference look more like a better A-10 than a revitalized Big East.

This would also translate to a permanent power deficit between the new teams and the Catholic 7. It is very similar to Texas and the Big 12; I believe Notre Dame joined the ACC largely because it didn't want to give up control to another power hungry mega-school like Texas. The new schools also realize that giving the Catholic 7 all the power could translate to even greater cuts in future, when the DePauls and Providences of the Big East decide they'd rather get $6 million than $5 million and take even more of the TV revenue from the incoming members.

However, the good news is that if this sort of thing really happens, Wichita State is back on the drawing board because many of the potential candidates would not join. I would not want to join that Big East though, even with the extra money, and would prefer to join that group of mid-majors. And those mid-majors are under far less of a time-table than the Catholic 7, which would allow them to completely control the negotiations.

Comment

• It seems to me if u are having a league where some teams are given more benefits than others is just eventually going to cause bad blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            At least now we know that jester has been lying all along about being a WSU fan.
                            No kidding. What a tool. Someone should call that loser out on that site. Some "wsu fan" he is LOL. UNC can have that idiot! Man up courtjester!!!!
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              Thanks Todd Goldey for stopping by Shockernet and caring enough about us to mention us in your media briefings. Unfortunately, a Terre TruckStop beat writer's opinion on anything WSU and "big time" is worth about peanuts.
                              Worse, sometimes peanuts are good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                                Did you read his article? He was referring to our message board and the speculation by fans of a potential move to the MWC. The guy is a tool.
                                WSU doesn't have football? Crap, why didn't I consider that when thinking about conference realignment?
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X