No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think we will be a no-brainer for the AAC if any of their high end teams get poached. That's the conference we will be in. The MWC stuff is just conversation fodder to get the topic buzzing. Bardo explains to WSU donors that we can't leave the MVC without football because the MWC went on record saying that. It's leverage. Then we start the program, play in the MVFC for a couple years and join the AAC by 2019 after UCONN, Cinicinnati and Memphis leave for the ACC and Big 12.

That's my current conspiracy theory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      I still think we will be a no-brainer for the AAC if any of their high end teams get poached. That's the conference we will be in. The MWC stuff is just conversation fodder to get the topic buzzing. Bardo explains to WSU donors that we can't leave the MVC without football because the MWC went on record saying that. It's leverage. Then we start the program, play in the MVFC for a couple years and join the AAC by 2019 after UCONN, Cinicinnati and Memphis leave for the ACC and Big 12.

That's my current conspiracy theory.
      Without those three teams, what makes the AAC desirable? SMU Is pretty good, and Houston/Tulsa are ok but they all have designs on Big 12 too. I think UCONN and Cincy are desirable but I'm not sure how desirable Memphis is.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        Without those three teams, what makes the AAC desirable? SMU Is pretty good, and Houston/Tulsa are ok but they all have designs on Big 12 too. I think UCONN and Cincy are desirable but I'm not sure how desirable Memphis is.
        Not much, and that's the point. That's why I think WSU will be on the short list. They need to remain relevant if their best schools get poached. Unless they want to pull an "Elgin" and bring in Loyola to replace UCONN...

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
          I love how UNI fans call me delusional for wanting to get out of the MVC. It's tough for them to comprehend outgrowing a conference!
          My favorite quote is from the Redbird board.

Wichita State is screwed and it's a beautiful thing.
          At least they realize being stuck in a conference with bottom feeders like themselves is horrible for us.

Comment

Without those three teams, what makes the AAC worse than the MVC? Seems like the answer to that seriously mitigates the risk.

Comment

• My preference is Big East or stay in the MVC. AAC is too unstable for me.

I've flipped on football recently. I don't really care for the sport outside of NFL fantasy football. That's probably the main reason I like the big east. It's basketball centric.

Obviously this is from a basketball perspective and there are many other things that come into play.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                My preference is Big East or stay in the MVC. AAC is too unstable for me.

I've flipped on football recently. I don't really care for the sport outside of NFL fantasy football. That's probably the main reason I like the big east. It's basketball centric.

Obviously this is from a basketball perspective and there are many other things that come into play.
                I agree. I would rather be in the Big East than anywhere else. My pipe dream is still that the MVC have a serious vision adjustment and decide that it wants to eject teams and bring in teams that can make it stronger. I know that won't happen, though, so my next choices end up being that I'd be okay with seeing WSU bring back football and make a run at the AAC or MWC if that's what it takes to keep moving forward. A10 is my last choice if the MVC really is going to stay bad. I'd really like to flip the tables on the A10 and see the MVC poach it's good teams rather than us going there :)

Comment

SMU Is pretty good, and Houston/Tulsa are ok but they all have designs on Big 12 too.
                  A troop of monkeys will fly out my arse before Tulsa ever sniffs the Big 12.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Don't go west, Bardo. Please.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      A troop of monkeys will fly out my arse before Tulsa ever sniffs the Big 12.
                      None of those teams are seriously being considered by the Big 12.

Comment

Without those three teams, what makes the AAC desirable?
                        In this case desirability is a relative thing. In this case the baseline is the Missouri Valley Conference as it is now constituted. Is the AAC more desirable than the MVC and, if so, by how much?

What can or should the Valley do to itself become more desirable for Wichita State's perspective? What are the odds of that happening?

Hopefully, the current study will answer those questions to some degree or another.

Documents updating the progress of that football feasibility study are expected to be publicly available within 30-45 days.

Comment

Maybe we are desirable. Maybe we are undesirable and just maybe we are in between. We are not BYU or Notre Dame but we have some things to offer. We just don't know what is being discussed behind the scenes and we don't know yet how much of an option football may be. Therefore, it is difficult to speculate with the unknowns that we have.
                          this feels like Wichita State is playing poker and dropped two nines on the table: the lid is blown, but no one knows exactly the strength of the hand that the Shockers are carrying.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
                            Don't go west, Bardo. Please.
                            basketball, a sport meant to be played indoors during winter/snow, is not so popular out west, relatively speaking. football and baseball, outdoor sports, rule in that region. mwc doesn't seem like a good fit. besides, top 3 of wichita state, uni and ilsu, in that order, in the mvc is arguably better than the mwc now. mwc is sinking, and with a comissioner that makes public statements like that towards wichita state, who brings the college basketball heat, who wants to know about 'em? not me.

'too bad the aac is going to fall apart here shortly (because the big-12 is looking to poach). that would have been ideal. adding wichita state to that?! basketball intensity.

Comment

• A couple of things.... I want Wichita State in the Big East. Period. If for no other reason than I will get to see them in Omaha. The second thing, please, nobody go over to MVCFans and get stupid like Casey did with the SWOMO to C-USA bullshit. The last thing you guys need is some rumor of secret meetings, manila envelopes and logos on polo shirts...
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• wichita state in the aac? a cauldron of basketball intensity!

*big east just isn't feasible, is it? am i wrong there?*

Comment

Working...
                                X